Saturday, November 15, 2014

Hang Your Banners High! (gift ideas)


I just love banners.  I know they've become pretty popular lately, but they do add such a festive touch to any space you want to display it.  Someday I'm going to learn to crochet so I can make myself crochet banners to fit each season.  I just love how they look too.

This is a banner I made as  gift for someone and I also made a Christmas version for my Mom but forgot to take a picture of it.  I gave it to her already as she starts decorating for the holidays earlier than I do.  I took these vintage cards that I found from MimiAndLucy store on Etsy and put them together for this Halloween themed banner.  Can I just say how much I love Etsy for a minute? If you have not been to www.etsy.com then go now and check it out! I have found more wonderful personalized gifts on there than in any box store.  Such talented artists with wonderful shops to browse or you can search for something specific. My daughter's last birthday party was such a hit because I had personalized bottle cap necklaces and a chap stick done for each gal at the party. It was very inexpensive and such a nice personal touch.

This is a picture I had taken of my niece's necklace at the party.  My daughter had a tea party theme. Isn't that adorable? I found the necklaces and chap sticks at NanasPartyPalace.
 
Sorry to get side tracked but just wanted to point out how wonderful Etsy can be for making or buying a personal gift.  The other banner of vintage theme cards I had found for my Mom were angels on vintage looking sheet music. I used a mini white pom pom ribbon to thread those cards together.



 
For the Halloween banner I used a black velvet ribbon.  I simply used my hole punch to make 2 holes in each card, then tied a knot at one end and threaded the cards through. Then tied a knot at the other end. I made sure to use ribbon that wasn't too thick and I left a nice amount of ribbon at each end to make it easy to hang.
 
With the holidays coming up there are endless ideas for other items you could use to make a banner for your home or to give as a gift.  You could look for something specific to a color scheme, themed idea, or make something (or have your kids make it) from scratch and from the heart with paper or materials you may already have around your home.
Let your imagination run wild and have fun!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie! I'm so glad you started this blog. I've really appreciated your comments on my blog and am happy to visit you.
    I read through all your posts and enjoyed them! Your banner is so cute. I love Etsy too! I used to d a lot of scrapbooking, but am now working full time and it's hard to have time. I've done a little digital scrapbooking and have enjoyed it.
    Your house is beautiful and so is your family. I'm partial to red hair and freckles too. My oldest and youngest are strawberry blondes with freckles. When they were young there hair was quite red, but it's lightened up. I also enjoyed reading that you used to work with dementia patients. You've probably seen that I'm a nurse in a nursing home so I see a lot of that. It's very rewarding!
    I'm going to subscribe to your blog, so I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jumped over here from Brenda's Cozy Little House.....I'll be visiting often. I'm not a blogger, just enjoy those who do!

    Louise in Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari - thank you so much for the support sweet Lady! I've loved following you and have copied many of your recipes to try! ;) I commend you so much for the work you do with older adults. It's a population I loved working with for a long time and many aspects of it I miss. I feel very blessed, though, to be able to help my mother-in-law now and be more involved in my kids' school lives (on the PTA etc) and of course time to scrapbook! Thanks for checking in with me and being patient as I continue to work out the tweaks.

    And thank you Louise for popping in and I'm so happy you did! Please come by often and God bless.

    ReplyDelete