Thursday, December 11, 2014

Blogmas Day 11: Christmas Food Menu

 
 
 
 
Well for our family Christmas dinner we have a traditional ham dinner. We get a big whole Honey Baked ham.  I order it quite a bit ahead and keep it in the freezer. 
 
\
photo: clip art
 
 
It comes with a wonderful crunchy sweet glaze already on it.  Our side dishes include cheesy potatoes my hubby's aunt brings, fruit salad my sis-in-law brings, my family's recipe for broccoli salad (which I'll talk about later in post), sweet potatoes with marshmallow topping, the calico beans I mentioned in yesterday's post, crudité platter,  cheese platter, dinner rolls and desserts.
 
For dessert this year I'll make Pioneer woman's pecan pie as I mentioned in prior post. I'll also make these pineapple upside down cupcakes I have on my pinterest board.  I'm going to be working on getting my icons on here soon so you can check out my pinterest and instagram too. Anyway, sorry sidetracked - back to desserts. My sis-in-law will bring a kid friendly dessert (like brownies) and my aunt-in-law usually brings a dessert too. My mom-in-law used to do a lot of the cooking and we always had Christmas dinner at their house, but due to her dementia it just isn't possible anymore. So sad. Topic for another post someday.
 
I can't wait to check out the other yummy menus today!!
 Before I go I'll share the broccoli salad with you.  I've been making it so long I don't really measure anything anymore so I'll try to describe it the best I can.  For our big family gathering I probably use about 5-6 or so heads of broccoli.  So you can make it smaller sized too. The night before Christmas I cut up the broccoli into bite sized chunks. I then make a traditional dressing my Gram always made which involves stirring together about 1 cup of real mayo and adding 2 Tbsp sugar and 2 tsp. white vinegar.  Mix until smooth and creamy.  For large broccoli salad double dressing.  I then coat the big bowl of broccoli with dressing, cover it and put it in fridge overnight to marinade. The next day I add chopped sweet red onion (add to your taste), bacon (about a pound for big bowl cooked and crumbled into small pieces) and raisins (add also to your taste).  It's such a great combo of salty, sweet, tangy and crunchy.  A family favorite that now my hubby's family never lets us go through a holiday meal without it.
 
I'm linking Blogmas Day 11 with Sandra Diary of a SAHM
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


10 comments:

  1. Oh my, that broccoli salad sounds delicious (and has also been written down and popped in my recipe binder!).....and the pineapple cupcakes sound delicious! May have to make those as well....between you and Sandra, I think we're going to be a few kilos heavier- all of us- after the holidays, LOL!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha!! I know just what you mean Helen! I feel like I gain weight just by reading these recipes!! But remember during the holidays the calories magically don't count. Or that's my story anyway.

      Delete
  2. Hi Carrie,
    Ham sounds delicious with the glaze and I must try your broccoli salad. Thank you for visiting me. Enjoy the season! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Hope you have a wonderful holiday & lots of good yummies throughout.

      Delete
  3. I hope that everything will be truly delicious for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - you sweetheart. Happy eating to you too! ;)

      Delete
  4. I love broccoli salad but haven't had it in a while, I'll have to give yours a try. ;) Yum menu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice & adaptable to add as much or little of the ingredients to your taste. Just a nice side dish with the other dishes too. My recipe cards keep growing! You all have too many amazing goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmm, I can almost taste the lovely meal. thanks for sharing the broccoli salad recipe, I'll be making this soon for sure. Sorry to hear about your MIL xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks for the kind words! I hope you enjoy the broccoli salad recipe. It is a tried and true favorite and works as such a lovely side dish. ;)

      Delete