Friday, December 12, 2014

Blogmas Day 12: Pics of where I live

 
Well I know you know from all I've shared so far on this blog and its title - I live in the north woods. Lol
 
 
More specifically I live in the north woods of Wisconsin.  Our bay is connected to the largest of the great lakes which is Lake Superior.  In the pictures of our backyard and looking at the bay if you head out to the right on our boat you'd head right into Lake Superior.  Lake Superior may be best known from the song called the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot.  The big lake they call gitche gumee (Native American name) in the song - that's us!
 
 
photo: clip art
 
Lake Superior in the summer.
 
 
photo: clip art
 
Lake Superior in the winter
 
Split Rock Lighthouse on cliff over Lake Superior
 
We live in a beautiful area that is very pristine with its water and woods. We live so far north in Wisconsin that we are only a few hours from the Canadian border.  We have a big shipping industry here and also train industry. A motto here in years past was "where rails meet sails"
 
 
Let's get back to our backyard.  Why don't we have a walk down our MANY stairs (always a good work out for those Christmas cookies) down to our dock and bay.
 
 
You can see our dock up ahead. We have a large floating dock so we need to un-hook it from the part attached to the land because the ice can be so forceful as it freezes that it could crack up our dock. So when it's starts getting really cold, but before it freezes, we unhook it and let it float free and just tied by ropes to the main land. Then it just freezes into whichever spot it ends up.
 
 
Before we head all the way down let's take a rest and look at that view. It never gets old for me.  These photos were taken earlier in the season and there wasn't as much snow. It's snowed a little more recently so my world is coated in more white now.
 
 
Here we are down by the dock. A nice view through the cattails all frozen in their slumber.  FYI: It feels as cold as it looks folks. Lol
 
 
 
On the way back up let's take a rest and look at one of my favorite birch trees in our yard. We have a lot of white birch in our area. They were used a lot in Native American culture, which we still have a lot of this rich culture and background in the history of our area.
 
 
 
A final stop on our backyard tour we see our old wishing well (which is actually a façade the former owners used to hide a crank for hauling up their boat). I love it now for its charm and to take hang a basket of flowers in every summer. We also see Felix the frog who spends his winter in my daughter's little garden outside her bedroom window. Even after all the fairy houses, flowers and fairy folk have left, good 'ol Felix remains on watch. I can't wait for the summer and show you her adorable garden all decked out and blooming. We also see our big bare deck. In the summer we have lots of fun patio furniture, grill, fire pit, flowers and wind chimes to enjoy. Now just still and empty...sleeping until spring begins stirring.
 
Thanks for taking a tour of my neck of the woods! I'm linking for Blogmas Day 12 with Sandra  of Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
 
 
 
 
 
 


20 comments:

  1. I am soooooo jealous, you live in a beautiful breathtaking area. Your own dock? I would love that :) Such stunning pictures, you must love living there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm so blessed and still pinch myself sometimes Sandra. We've lived at this house and bay over 7 years and the view is still like brand new to me at times. I don't ever tire of seeing what critters will be in my yard or how calming it is to look out at the bay. So happy to be able to share it with you as I've been following your journey and admiring the places you've lived for years now! xo

      Delete
  2. Amazing pictures of a fantastic place. Yes please show the groggy in the summer garden when it's time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I promise lots of colorful blooming photos in the Spring & Summer!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, with all those stairs I don't know if I could make it back up!!! :) LOL. Beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is to just take a lot of rests on the way and admire the view! Lol

      Delete
  4. My goodness it looks incredibly cold and chillsome where you live, but very beautiful too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - sometimes regretfully we are people of the COLD North Amy! Lol
      I do love it though and have been here my whole life. I have been fortunate to travel quite a lot too and I still love my back yard best. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing your home town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! Thanks for visiting and stopping by to say hi. If I could I'd offer you a warm coffee or tea and we could sit and admire the view in the toasty warm. ;)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Aw - thanks SO much Carolyn. Thanks for stopping by...it means so much! I have LOVED your blog for so long and your home and gardens are beyond compare. I'm so happy to finally give back and share a little of my world with you.

      I love P.E.I. and I desperately want to get there someday. When I do I hope you'll be having an open house and I can visit your oasis in person. ;)

      I also need to visit as the Anne of Green Gables books are my favorites of all time and I love all things Anne. I promised my daughter we will journey there someday after she's read all the books too. Btw my daughter's name is Anne. ;)

      Delete
  7. Such beautiful pics and place to live!! I grew up in our town on Lake Michigan, and have since moved back. I love living so close to the water, I'm not as close as you though. :) Love the dock!! I would definitely be "sitting on the dock of the bay...wastin' time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello "neighbor"! Lol Lake Michigan is so beautiful too. I'm always amazed by its gorgeous color when I've been there.

      I'll make sure to get some good shots this summer so you can really come sit on the dock of the bay with me. ;)

      Delete
  8. You live in an amazingly beautiful area! I really enjoyed the photos!
    I live near Lake Michigan, but about 20 minutes away - not so close to the Lake as you are. Lake Superior is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sweet Gal! So glad you could come by & enjoy my Great Lake too. Lake Michigan is beautiful too & I bet you try to see it often. ;)

      Delete
  9. I thoroughly enjoyed traipsing through the woods with you! You live in a very beautiful place. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw Thx Jhona! Glad you enjoyed my neck of the woods. Merry Christmas to you too!!

    ReplyDelete