Thursday, March 12, 2015

Easy Meatloaf

I know everyone probably has a pretty standard meatloaf recipe they use and I think most meatloaf recipes are similar in that they're made from ground meat, bread or bread crumbs, egg, onion, some sort of ketchup type sauce - basic stuff. But I thought I'd share mine anyway as I also made another recipe card for Annie's cookbook too.  It's a favorite - especially with my hubby and dad-in-law.

My book for Annie keeps clicking along! I keep compiling more recipes and not sure when I'll stop thought! Lol Seems we have many family favorite recipes.




So here is how I make our meatloaf:

Take the ingredients and blend together in a large bowl (with your hands of course - it's truly the only good way to do it - plus it's fun!) I like Italian bread crumbs as they add a lot of flavor so then I just add a bit of salt and pepper and that's it for seasoning. Easy! I also add milk in my recipe for extra moisture.




Now here's where I may differ from others. I don't like putting mine in a loaf pan. Even with lean ground beef I think it gets too greasy. I like to put it in a 9x13 and let the grease "well" to the bottom. I also take my large loaf and split it into 2 loaves. It cooks faster - plus then I have one for us and 1 for my in-laws.



Put the 2 loaves in a greased 9x13 and top with sauce.


Bake for an hour (sometimes it's done a little sooner due to 2 smaller loaves so check it at least 10 minutes before depending on your oven).



Here's a closer look at the recipe. Enjoy!




14 comments:

  1. I especially like the idea of your sauce recipe, that would be great for all kinds of things! I never make meatloaf, but I really should, just so I can make the sauce if nothing else!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sauce is really tasty - and you're right - wonderful on many other cuts of meat or as a dipping sauce.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you shared this recipe! Meatloaf is frequently requested in my family but I have yet to find a 'go-to' recipe. Your version sounds fantastic... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it if you make it Laura! Definitely a favorite around here- especially in these last weeks of cooler weather.

      Delete
  3. My recipe is very similar to yours. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A total midwest kind of meatloaf, right? Lol xo

      Delete
  4. I haven't made a meatloaf for a long long time. I'll have to give this a try! Hope you're having a good week, it's Friday tomorrow woo hoo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it if you try Alison!! Wishing you a wonderful weekend dear Gal. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You bet Billie Jo! Hope you're feeling better. xoxo

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to make my own meatloaf. This is a great idea! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it! It's definitely a staple around here. ;)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your recipe! With your hands is definitely the *only* way to make meatloaf. My sister is the expert meatloaf maker of the family--she massages the meat until it's just perfect. I'm not quite as zealous, since I want to get it into the oven and cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Bethany! I think the biggest thing is that a spoon just doesn't blend things as well as just our good 'ol hands. ;)

      Delete