Monday, June 29, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday

HHM


Time to head into a new week! Hope you had a wonderful weekend. Ours was quite nice, but busy. We were out-of-town for my daughter's hockey tourney. Her team didn't take the top prize, but they played really well and had a lot of fun (the most important part of all). Always a little strange to go from something like 88* outside and then head into a freezing cold ice rink. You just bring lots of layers and often step outside into the sun for a few minutes between periods to warm back up! Sun is shining this morning so on to the business of this week.


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Upper 60's sunny and very pleasant. Supposed to hit 77*. However, forecast is saying clouds are going to roll in and by this afternoon there's an 80% chance of rain. So have a feeling we'll be seeing showers pretty soon.


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

Made some toast and yogurt for my MIL and daughter. I'm not that hungry - just nibbling a couple of garden triscuits with some cheese and some iced coffee.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

It's sunny and really quite lovely. Annie and I were outside with Ruby earlier this AM before I went to pick up my MIL and she spotted some little toad stool mushrooms next to the trampoline. She was so excited as she informs me that's a sign that the fairies have been here as "they have parties under a a ring of toad stools at night when no one is looking - so this is a sign the fairies have been here!" She was down inspecting the ring quite thoroughly. Lol


RIGHT NOW I AM:

Watching morning news, chatting with my MIL and nibbling my crackers. My MIL is having a day where she thinks she's fine and asked if she could take the car and she'd take Annie and Ruby with her somewhere so I can get my work done. So sweet, but SO not going to happen. I told her we have some fun things to do here and we're going to hang out. She was fine with that. 


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Already been catching up with laundry. Need to do a little picking up, but overall not too bad. The flowers need a big drink, though, so that's next on my list. Even it may rain or not - many of my flowers are either sheltered, or kind of dense, that the rain doesn't get to them enough.


ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

It would be a good idea to run and grab groceries, but don't know if I'm feeling like I want to tackle that today. Especially with the potential for stormy weather so may have to plan some indoor activities for today. Thought we'd work on scrapbooking and crafts. Some days my MIL can be good at focusing on a task like this and other times her focus is pretty brief. Guess we'll play the day by ear and see how it goes.  I also might put on some old home movies we have of trips from the past (with my MIL) in them as she gets a kick out of that.



CURRENTLY READING:

Still reading Annie's piano teacher's biography he wrote. 


ON THE TV TODAY:

Some cooking shows to watch and I taped a couple of old movies for myself. 


ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

I'm not sure what I want to make this week, but need to start thinking about a list. I have to include what I'm going to make for the July 4th holiday weekend coming up.  We go to my brother and sister-in-law's house for a BBQ, food, fun and fireworks. They often do party subs and everyone potlucks all kinds of side dishes, snacks and desserts. They live on a lake and folks go out in the boat, swim, get pulled on tubes out in the lake, play volleyball and other games. Lots of fun! My son has been requesting I make homemade twix bars for a dessert. I'm also thinking I might make s'mores bites. Some years I make a big chicken pasta salad, other years some other kind of savory side dish. Not sure what I want to bring for that this year. Hopefully it'll be nice weather and we'll have lots of fun either way!



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Need to get back to some scrapbooking (so much catching up to do) as well as some card making. Will post when I do! 



NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

If I make the s'mores bites they would be a new recipe to me. Will post it if I do!


TIP OF THE WEEK:

I LOVE having wet wipes handy all the time. In my purse and the car. I used to always have them on hand when my kiddos were babies and it was amazing how many times they were handy besides just for baby needs. Now I love having them around for quick sticky clean up moments, dirty car issues, after meals when out and about etc. Just a tiny little pack of them is small and so convenient to keep around!



FROM THE CAMERA:


My Annie in action this weekend. She's #16 and plays with a lot of boys (there are other girls on the team too). She played great!!



One night the teams went out to dinner at a restaurant/arcade place for the kiddos and I was helping my nephew win some things in the crane game. He was pretty excited about his "loot"! Lol



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:

Instead of that kind of inspiration this week I thought I'd end fully with hockey time and share this little piece of video of Annie in action. Again, she's number 16.

video

I'm linking with Sandra from Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.



14 comments:

  1. Great action shots! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Tamy! Hope you have a great week too! xo

      Delete
  2. I love that the girls can be on the team with the boys. Hooray! Your holiday weekend sounds like lots of fun! Hope to see some photos next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that she plays with the boys too. She hangs in there pretty well. ;)

      Looking forward to the weekend. I'm sure I'll have some photos. Lol
      Hope you have a great week ahead. xo

      Delete
  3. Yay Annie! Those are some great shots!
    I like the wet wipe idea. I'll have to look for some little packets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mari! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead lovely Lady. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Your 4th of July plans sound glorious!
    What a beautiful example of charity you set for your children by the devotion and care you show to your mother-in-law! I am sure it takes a lot of patience.
    I agree about the wipes... now that I always have them around I can't imagine that I didn't always!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Thanks for the sweet comments. I think example is a wonderful way for our kiddos to learn. My kids are so good about her too and are still incredibly respectful and loving towards her, even when she isn't always sure who they are at the time.
      Yay for wipes!! Great invention!! Lol Hope you have a fun weekend coming for the 4th also.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. This all sounds great! I love the way you care for your MIL, and think up things that will make her happy and/or content. I know it's not easy. Your holiday weekend sounds perfect! What a nice way to celebrate together. Our holiday is stuck on Wednesday this year ... boo. Your daughter looks amazing on the ice. I once saw a saying on girl's t-shirt "Boys just fight / Girls play hockey". I thought that was kinda cute. Enjoy your week!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! Thanks for the sweet comments. It's not easy, but I never for a minute thought I wouldn't care for her since I have that ability. ;)

      That's a bummer about a Wednesday celebration! Hope it's still a great day!
      I love those hockey shirts out there too. Annie has a few fun ones!
      Happy week to you too! xo

      Delete
  6. So glad that Annie had so much fun at the tournament!! I hope that you are having a good week and that the weather is being kind. How lovely of the fairies to visit Annie! Sorry that I am so late behind! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Amy! Hope you're having a wonderful week too. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl…you are busy!! But the best kind of busy, taking care of family. Your MIL is certainly blessed to have you taking care of her. My great-grandmother had Alzheimer’s when I was very young, but I still remember days when she would speak in polish and English all in the same sentence.

    I could feel Annie’s excitement about the fairies, love it!! We all need signs and wonders to help us believe!! Love the hockey pictures and the video. For me hockey is hard to follow, but I do enjoy watching it. I’ve watched a couple of the Blackhawk’s playoff games when they were going for the Stanley Cup. Lots of fun!!

    I’ll be bbq-ing for the 4th myself. I usually do it all the day before, and then we just have things warming in roasters and crock pots when we get home from the parade. The 4th is my mom’s favorite holiday. We have a big parade in town (my sister puts chairs out the night before on the main street, it’s that serious #mayberry), and we have an awesome fire works display. But the most important thing is my youngest son, Benji’s birthday!! He gets fireworks every year for his b-day. He will be 10, as he puts it the “big one O.” So lot’s of fun ahead for me. I missed HHM myself, my daughter wasn’t feeling well. Hopefully be back at it next week.

    Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday weekend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, fairies will have definitely been partying by those toadstools! Great hockey action going on there, go Annie!! Good that boys and girls can play together :-) xx

    ReplyDelete