Monday, June 22, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday

HHM

Happy Monday All - and happy official first full day of summer!! It decided to show up here a little stormy, but some rain is a good thing. It was a lovely weekend here and flew by. I still didn't get to go visit everyone from last week but hoping to get more time later this afternoon. We celebrated Father's Day with my Dad (He's "Papa" to me but he's "Grandpa Whiskers" to my kids as he has always had a mustache & beard). Then celebrated Father's Day with my father-in-law yesterday. Of course we fit my hubby in there too! Lol Also, we watched my daughter's hockey games and she kicked some butt! She's really been loving hockey and she's come so far and does really well. It was a fun weekend and full of Dad Power!



THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Gray and rainy. Woke up to thunderstorms, but I actually love that sometimes. I just wish I could have stayed in bed!!

ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

1/2 of an onion bagel with light butter, raspberries, and iced coffee.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

I see drips leftover from the last down pour. It's kind of between the drops now but know more rain is coming. It's still dark and cloudy.

RIGHT NOW I AM:

Talking with my MIL as we watch the morning news. It was so hard to get up and go pick her up this AM. I just wanted to snuggle in as I listened to the rain hit my window outside. My FIL leaves for work in the morning and then my MIL is on her own for a very short time. I always call to check in with her as soon as I get up and let her know I'm coming to get her. She doesn't remember how to call out on the phone but she still knows how to answer it. I know the time is coming before too long where she can't be alone at all, but so far she does o.k. for that very short time.


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Threw in some laundry already. Just a few dishes in the sink. Still some games sitting out from when my Dad & step-Mom were over on Saturday and we all played some games together. Annie had a friend sleep over last night so still some of their picking up to be done, but overall pretty tidy. 


ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Going to do a little more picking up and then this afternoon I think we'll go out for a bit of lunch and then go to the library. My daughter has been wanting to go and it would be something fun to do with my MIL too. Then I need to bring my daughter to her piano lesson she has Monday afternoons. 



CURRENTLY READING:

Still reading Annie's piano teacher's biography he wrote. 


ON THE TV TODAY:

I have some cooking shows and some of my soap opera (yes I watch Days of our Lives) to catch up on. 


ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

Going to get groceries tomorrow (when it's not supposed to rain) and I'm thinking for one day for the in-law's I'll make my easy slow cooker ham & scalloped potatoes as I haven't made it in quite a while. We'll have parmesan breaded chicken dinner another night. Another night some kind of breakfast bake for dinner, or throw something on the grill. 



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

I've actually been helping Annie work some more on her first cross-stitch so been monkeying with that. I've also loved working on the new mandala coloring book that Annie & I have also been taking turns "playing" with it. I know that's kind of a new big trend...adult coloring books. But it truly is a wonderful as a sort of relaxation therapy. I will share photos at the end of this post. 



NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

I've been wanting to make some homemade granola. I've never really done that but I would love to have some around for munching and even for breakfast cereal! Not sure if I'll get to it this week, but hopefully soon.


TIP OF THE WEEK:

If you haven't used parchment paper for baking - I highly recommend it! It's so wonderful when you're baking something - like I made more blueberry hand pies this weekend for Father's Day - and for something like that where filling might leak out and stick even to a sprayed pan, parchment paper works beautifully. Your food won't stick to it and you just throw away the mess! I always keep some handy.




FROM THE CAMERA:
platter of hand pies from this weekend's father's day festivities



the mandala I colored (I like colored pencils)


Annie's mandala - she prefers color crayons



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:

I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post!! The mandalas are very pretty and I totally agree with you about coloring being relaxing. More people should give it a try. I need to look for an 'adult' coloring book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! I found several really nice ones at Barnes & Noble. I have one that is all flowers too that I love! So relaxing and fun.
      xo

      Delete
  2. Those mandalas are gorgeous, makes me want to crochet some mandalas now LOL We've had family over constantly and so I also have games laying around and things I need to put away. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the mandalas you crochet!! They're so pretty. ;)
      It's worth the clutter for fun family time, though,isn't it? Lots of laughs with those games and something fun we can all do.
      Blessings for your week dear Lady. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia! Happy week to you! xo

      Delete
  4. I love parchment paper! I just found a box of it on clearance, that had sheets cut to size for a cookie sheet. So handy!
    Your pies look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those boxes full of them too! They work perfectly. ;)
      Happy week Hon! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Your stormy weather sounds so perfect for staying in bed! Wish you could have done just that!
    Love both of your mandalas! What a fun project to work on together.
    Those pies look delicious! I was hoping to make cherry hand pies this weekend but, it was so humid here that I just couldn't get the crust to cooperate so I made it in a crumble instead.
    We just made granola last week - hoping to post the recipe tomorrow if I can finish putting it together.
    And, YES, parchment paper is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOoohhh - I can't wait to head over and say hi and see that recipe! Hope you can do the hand pies next time. They're such a fun (& easier) way to do pie. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I agree some rain is a good thing and I do love thunderstorms but I don't like to get out in them very much. Love the coloring pages...thinking we may steal that idea for art day around here on Friday :) Parchment paper always reminds me of my late mother in law and the birthday cake recipe that came from her. It would always stick to the pans and she'd always suggest parchment paper and I would (in typical fashion) not listen. One day she just brought me some parchment paper, "Oh, I was out and this was on sale and I thought you might like it" It IS wonderful stuff. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you'd love the coloring for art day!! It's fun to use different materials (like colored pencils vs coloring crayons) and see the difference it makes for the look of each page too. So relaxing to put on some music and "go to town".

      I love the parchment paper story!! ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I like that Mandala coloring book, I came across a blog where a girl teaches how to draw one, I would love to do that, but she hasn’t offered the class in awhile, it’s very interesting to me. By the way I got a Minons coloring book and a new box of 64 crayons from my youngest son for my birthday, he knows I love to color. An Adult coloring book would work too, LOL.

    I’ll be making some bread pudding tomorrow. I have such a taste for it, I would of made it tonight but I was working on my blogbattle story, and it’s too late now. So I’ll have to wait until tomorrow. :(

    Have a wonderful week girlfriend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - drawing one!?! I think that would be so intricate (& hard!). If you ever do that you have to share how it goes!!

      I haven't made bread pudding in a while now - but it does sound good. I'll have to do that in the near future too!

      I LOVE reading your blogbattle stories! Keep 'em coming Girl! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Thunderstorms are ok, if you don't have to leave the house that is! I don't like being caught in them. Love the colouring book, I've just bought a couple of grown up ones for me and the girls to do during the holidays! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - thunderstorms are the best all snuggled in under some kind of blanket indoors. ;)
      Watch out for the addiction factor for those coloring books! I'm still doing about a page a day. Lol
      xo

      Delete