Thursday, August 6, 2015

Slow Cooker Cheesy Hashbrowns

Sorry I'm a little late posting today. With dental appointments and soccer practices it became a busy morning and early afternoon. But today I want to share a yummy hashbrown recipe you can whip up in your slow cooker.

It's always a nice easy thing to throw a side dish like this in the slow cooker. It keeps your oven free if you need to cook something at a different temperature, and slow cookers are just nice for throwing the ingredients in there and then let it do the work. Turn it on and forget about it!

I was going to make baked potatoes to go with the chicken I was making for dinner (for the in-law's too), but then decided last minute to switch to these even easier hashbrown potaotes.  First you'll need frozen hashbrowns (this was a 30 ounce bag), 8 ounces of sour cream, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1&1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup of melted butter.


You'll also need about 1/4 cup or so of finely chopped onion.


Liberally spray or grease your slow cooker (I used butter).


Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. I put the hasbrowns in the bowl first and defrosted them for about 5 minutes (30% power) so they would break up easily. Add salt and pepper after mixing but not too heavy on the salt as the cheese is salty already.


Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and I added a little more pepper on top.


Look at that mountain of creamy cheesy goodness ready to go!  Cook on low for about 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender and the edges brown. I was silly and forgot to get an "after" photo but I'm sure you get the idea. Creamy cheesy potato goodness with browned edges all done quickly and easily! Enjoy!! 

**I'll be busy this weekend with my daughter's hockey tourney, plus now that there won't be 5 on Friday, so I won't be posting tomorrow. I'll be back for Happy Homemaker Monday on Monday though. Have a wonderful weekend!! 









14 comments:

  1. This is the second crock pot recipe posted today and I love this one too! I love hash browns and what could be easier than this recipe? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Terri- I think the crock pot is getting just as popular as a summer cooking tool, as it is in the cold season!
      Have a great weekend Sweetie! Xo

      Delete
  2. You're killing me Carrie! I love hash browns, but my booty doesn't. I was a bad girl yesterday and had some at lunch (love having breakfast for lunch) while on break at the court house. I'm trying to cut back on carbs so I can look hot in my plaid shorts ;).

    Enjoy your weekend!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Doreen! I tried to take the smallest portion I could!! It's difficult as my FIL mainly loves hearty meat & potato kind of meals.
      I do NOT look how I'd like in my plaid shorts currently so trying to reign it in over here too. Ugh.
      Where's that wonderful no weight gain magic pill? Haven't they invented that yet???
      One little hash brown - especially dealing with courthouse stress- is completely LEGAL. haha, get it?
      Ok, I'm a dork. So don't feel GUILTY about it. There I go again. I have a total dork problem. Stopping now. Peace out. Xo

      Delete
  3. I make this in my crockpot too. It's always a winner!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are just universally GOOD aren't they?
      Happy weekend! Xo

      Delete
  4. All the best to your daughter in her hockey tournament! That looks like a great no-fuss meal! I like quick cooking where I don't have to labor for hours in the kitchen. This morning I think I set a new personal record with from-scratch pancakes ready in 10 minutes (well, the first one was anyway)...Hopefully the more I cook, the more efficient I can become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bethany!
      Wow, that has to be a pancake record!! I'm impressed. ;)
      I love quick easy meals too. Especially with all of our sports. Happy weekend Hon! Xo

      Delete
  5. Wow! These look scrumptious! I LOVE a good crock pot recipe--can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good - and would be perfect for feeding a crowd. There are 10 of us, minimum, when we get together :) Best of luck to the team! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - great for a group Karen! :) xo

      Delete
  7. Oh, this sounds so, so good!!!!

    ReplyDelete