Tuesday, September 8, 2015

ABC's Album

I came across this little album in my son's room the other day. I was doing some tidying up for him. He does have his "chores" to get done in there, but he is a typical teenager and gets lazy about things...as well as fine details tend to elude him. Lol 


He has built in shelves in his closet for a lot of his games and other items. On one shelf with a few other books was this photo album from long ago days that he and I had worked on together. It was so fun to look through it and it sure brought back such memories.


The cover of the album is in denim and it measures probably about 7x7 or 8x8. Back in my big scrapbooking days I went to regular workshops that my Creative Memories consultant at the time would hold. It was always a great time to get a lot of work done in current albums or get a project done. Many times I would complete gift albums, that I would be working on for a relative or a friend, during those workshops.



Well during on of the workshops I came across this little album for sale, along with a set of border papers and letter stickers and the idea to do this ABC album. So during that workshop I completed the pages by doing the border papers you see on the sides, as well as the letter stickers for each letter of the alphabet and using whatever stickers I had handy to fill in some things that fit that letter on each page. Then I brought it home to my son who was about 4 to 5 at the time and we filled in the pages together. We spent time cutting pictures out of catalogs and going through more of my sticker arsenal at home.



Then for YEARS after we would go through this book and read it, just like we would any bed time or other story book. My son just loved pointing out each thing on the page, talk about what it was and what letter it started with, and often even where he remembered we had found that picture.


Oh, I have such precious memories of that time with him. He was our only child for 5 and 1/2 years until his sister came along - so he used to get a lot of undivided attention from me. 


I'm particularly fond of J. I love that my son wanted to put the photo of Jesus on this page. Also, that we found a photo of a jalapeno and my son thought it was so cool that it started with the letter "j" and not an "h"!  And I was obviously desperate with the stickers I had at the workshop, before I brought the book home, as I put some stickers of candy and popcorn to get "junk food" on the page. Also, I put a trumpet and called it "joyful noise".  Lol!



I also love the "K page" as I remember my son loving the sneezy kleenex box photo....and that when I put the ball sticker down I drew a foot to "kick".  Quite the artist as you can see. ::snicker::


The final page in this album was this one with the photo of Aaron and  Mary Engelbreit stickers of "The Prince of Whatever's Left". 



I was so touched to find that he's still held on to that album after all these years. And when I paged through it I found this on the very back (& I don't remember it being there), but a few years later (when he could write better) he must have written this note. As I put at the top when I edited this photo and added it - it gets me right in the heart. 


Thanks for going down memory lane with me! I thought this would be fun to share as an idea to work on something similar for your own child, or even grandchild. It's such a fun project to work on together and I think because they help do the work it becomes extra special to them. 


12 comments:

  1. I remember those little books from CM! I love this one, and the note is the sweetest thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! It sure brought memories flooding back. ;) xo

      Delete
  2. Love this! So very sweet and I know it will be treasured for many years to come :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! It will be treasured. ;) xo

      Delete
  3. OMG! So sweet! It made me smile and tear up at the same time. What a wonderful son you have, of course he saved it silly billy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Doreen! It made me well up too! He is pretty special....I think I'll keep him. ;) xo

      Delete
  4. Oh my, that is so sweet! What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, this is so sweet! Your son sounds a lot like my son at that age. He and I would lie on our tummies on his bed and read through a book "Do you See What I see" or some similar title. We had to find things on the pages and would take turns. He still remembers the little phrases we would use to help each other out. I like that you found this book cleaning up (something I do when my kids vacate their rooms after the summer!). And that note at the end ... gosh, did you shed a little tear? Thanks for sharing this,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! It brought back so many memories. We've always loved those searching books as well (those are actually my daughter's favorites).

      I can still hear his sweet little voice and picture him perfectly when we would look at those pages. It absolutely made me well over with a tear. ::sigh:: Where does the time go?

      Blessings! xo

      Delete
  6. Oh what wonderful memories!!! You must have loved making this and reading with your son all those years ago and now finding it again must have bought all that back to you! So very lovely!! I am sure that you will treasure this always! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be a treasure forever Amy. :) It was so touching for me to look through it again and remember. Such sweet memories. xo

      Delete