Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cooking Thursday: Chickie Chip Casserole

cookingthursday

When I began blogging in November of last year I knew I wanted to try to blog throughout the week and I wanted kind of a "structure" for each day and all of my different interests I love to share. 


So as many of you know I like to do Happy Homemaker Monday for Monday's. Tuesdays I usually reserve for my craft and scrapbooking interests. Wednesday I share photos - usually of my love for my beautiful northwoods (photography). Thursdays seems to be a day many of my blogger friends love to share recipes (Mari & Sandra - shout out!), so Thursday's I like to share a recipe and my love of cooking and baking. And I'm excited as my friend Sandra is back with her "Cooking Thursdays" after a break from this link-up, so I'll be connecting with her today.


Today I wanted to share an old family favorite that goes way back. It's one that my Grandma gave me long ago and she often made for a quick easy lunch when we would visit her. It's a very Midwest kind of recipe as we're all about casseroles and hot dishes over here! Lol  This one is so yummy as one of the main ingredients is potato chips!! Forgive me that I don't have a photo of the dish. The last time I made it I didn't think to take photos and I haven't made it very recently. I did fill out a recipe card/page for the personal cookbook scrapbook I'm doing for Annie and that's what I can share today.

CHICKIE CHIP CASSEROLE 
Image result for chicken clip art




This recipe is good because it's fast, it's creamy and crunchy and it's definite comfort food. You take the reserved crushed chips and sprinkle them all over the top before baking so it's the perfect crunchy crust! I don't care for hard boiled eggs so I leave them out- but my Gram always put them in. It's best with the plain non-rippled potato chips and I often use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken shredded up in it. My Gram sometimes even used canned chicken. She served it mainly just as a casserole, but we love to eat it like a creamy spread on toast. So good! It's a perfect little Fall meal. 


I'm loving thinking all of these comforting Autumn thoughts for decorating and cooking! I haven't pulled out all of my Fall decorations yet - but hopefully I'll get a start this weekend. I have been reading my Fall cookbooks like crazy and I've been starting some Fall craft projects. Here's a preview:


Happy Thursday! Head to Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom for more Cooking Thursday recipes.







10 comments:

  1. Oh now that sounds like my type of casserole, I'm going to have to save this and give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it when you do Sandra! ;)

      Delete
  2. This sounds perfect for a crisp fall evening! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would hit the spot Tamy! ;)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like old fashioned goodness! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to put it Mari. It's exactly that! ;)

      Delete
  4. I've never had chips with chicken, but I can see how it would be an interesting, tasty pairing.

    When you said your grandmother sometimes used canned chicken, I thought of that 'Chopped' episode where the contestants had to use a whole canned chicken. Kinda gross! I'm thinking that's not what you meant ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know exactly what you mean - but no that's not what she used Doreen. I want the little canned flaked chicken (kind of like the cans of tuna).
      Made me giggle. ;)

      Delete
  5. Another recipe that I have never heard of! I too would leave out the hardboiled eggs, but I like the sound of it on toast! You have so many great family recipes! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun to share some new things with others ;) I do feel so blessed to have had generations of great cooks & recipes to share Amy. Xoxo

      Delete