Monday, September 21, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday


Happy Monday! It's a beautiful sunny day here in the northwoods. Hope the sun is shining your way today too. It was a great weekend and flew by too fast. I got out for some lovely walks as we had beautiful weather this past weekend too. My daughter was at a fun sleepover at her Nana's one night, so my hubby, son and I went to dinner and a movie that night (a movie my daughter would have been too young to watch). Always nice when the teenager is willing to hang out with his parents. Lol Now on to our week ahead!


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Just beautiful! Sunny and supposed to hit low 70's today.


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

I was a little naughty today because I had made some chocolate chip zucchini bread - so instead of my usual protein bar I had some yummy bread and a cup of coffee with natural hazelnut creamer.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Well the chaos has begun! The landscapers are here in full force and I can hear their machinery working away. It's going to be so nice when it's all done though. We had done quite a bit of landscaping, all on our own, when we moved here over 8 years ago. Many of our shrubs had died after the winter before last when it was a very rough one. Lots of other greenery was kind of overgrown, and some things were just doing poorly. We had a brick paver path that was here when we bought the house and it had gotten pretty uneven and overgrown too. So we're having them do the works! They're doing a whole new more natural looking stone path and helping us plant all new shrubs and greenery. We also had a carpenter ant problem due to the old mulch, so we're filling in with rock this time instead. I'll share lots of photos once it's all done!


RIGHT NOW I AM:

I've been enjoying the new schedule (have MIL in the afternoons now instead). It's so nice to have mornings to myself to get my plans together and start the day slowly. I'm watching the morning news as I write this and sipping the last of my coffee. Looking at my schedule (mainly kiddos' sports etc) to make my plans for the week.


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Need to throw in some more laundry. Some dishes in the sink but will deal with them later after I get groceries and make dinner ahead this afternoon. I'll be making more mess then so will clean it all up at once. I'll make dinner early so I can bring some to my in-law's when I drop my MIL off late this afternoon.



ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Will pick up my MIL later from my Mom and we'll go grab the groceries. Come home and fix us a late lunch and we'll probably spend time indoors due to the chaos outside. Hard to navigate all their equipment going all over (moving big piles of dirt etc) to take a walk today. Have a cooking show taped my MIL and I both like to watch and then we may color or go through some old scrapbooks or watch some of our old home movies for fun. She loves those triggers that help her with memory lane.



CURRENTLY READING:

I'm finishing an old Janet Evanovich book from the Stephanie Plum series that I never finished back when I was reading regularly. It's jump starting me back into my books and I have a big pile waiting!


ON THE TV TODAY:

Loving Dancing with the Stars. My hubby loves Bering Sea Gold. We're looking forward to Survivor starting. Have some cooking shows taped. I'm loving the new Valerie Bertinelli cooking show too. 


ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: homemade sloppy joes, green salad, potato chips 

TUESDAY: stuffed shells and pasta sauce, garlic bread, caesar salad (may make  parmesan crusted tilapia I have in the freezer for me. I've been wanting fish and I'm the only one who eats it!) 

WEDNESDAY: grilled polish sausage, baked beans, corn on the cob, and a really yummy pasta salad (another new one) I'll share later this week 

THURSDAY: big sports night so something easy - sandwiches at home or subway

FRIDAY: Might be pizza or out for dinner

*Thinking I'll bake up a pan of chocolate chip bars for a treat this week too.



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Still catching up on scrapbooking and have been doing more organizing of future pages. Going to be helping my Mom work on a baby album gift for a loved one too.


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

The yummy pasta salad I plan to make (it's one I had recently at a family reunion that my aunt often makes).  It's SO good!  I like that it has some different ingredients for a pasta salad as it has turkey in it and dried cherries or cranberries. 


TIP OF THE WEEK:

Many of you cooks probably already know this, but if a recipe calls for buttermilk and you don't have any....just take a cup of milk and add a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to it and let it sit for 10 minutes and then use it. I have done this many times and it works great!


FROM THE CAMERA:


Loving my new Fall photo! It has a switch you can turn on so the jack-o-lantern can light up at night. The bottom is a close up view when it was darker last night. So it's pretty during the day and can look kind of spooky at night. So fun!



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:


Yep! Do this often.

I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

18 comments:

  1. Your fall decorations are so awesome! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delicious weeks eating at your house this week. I am glad you are enjoying your new routine and that the garden works have started for you, very exciting indeed!!! Hope you have a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Can't wait to reveal new landscaping - hopefully soon! xo

      Delete
  3. Love love love the quote at the end!
    Sloppy Joe's are one of our favorites in this house.
    Your breakfast sounds delicious and SO much better than a protein bar. ;)
    How sweet that your son went to the movies with you and your husband. Seriously love that!
    And your landscaping plans sound beautiful! Hope you'll post pictures when it's all completed!
    Have a great day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I love that quote too - as I say it often! ;)
      Can't wait to share the landscaping and my Fall outside decorations when it's all done. I'm so excited!!
      Blessings.xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I've missed my visits here!
    Visiting with you is like two friends chatting about our days...
    Your menu sounds good! We are having tilapia tonight.
    And we just put a chocolate cream pie in the fridge.
    Enjoy your afternoon, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE our time too Billie Jo!! If we can't have the real thing...this is still pretty darn nice. :)
      Blessings my Friend. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Your Zuccini bread sounds so yummy. I have never made that before!!
    I LOVE that quote at the end. <3
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Zucchini bread is so yummy! I use the recipe from the
      Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (has the big red plaid cover) - seriously good! ;)
      Blessings to you! xo

      Delete
  6. Hi Carrie, that sounds like an exciting thing going on there with the landscapers! I love stone paths, but don't have one, so now I am jealous :) So glad you are having some free time in the mornings now. Your baking and menu plans sound so delicious. If I lived there, I would be coming over all the time - at dinner time, oh, and lunch, too. You would be hiding from me.....haha! You are so sweet to your MIL. A real Angel. Hope your week is wonderful. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Karen! Just love this - you totally crack me up! I have this image of ducking behind my cabinets to hide from you. Lol! You know that I would actually gladly welcome you with open arms and pull up a chair for you joyfully. :)

      Loving the new schedule - and feeling blessed in general.
      Blessings to you! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful day. Our weather was perfect today too. Can't wait to see photos of the landscaping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I can't wait to share the new landscaping. I'm getting so excited to see it all done! The days of rain last week delayed things (boo!) but hopefully they'll finish soon!
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  8. I didn't know you were doing landscaping! You should take some before pics too, so hurry up and get outside and do just that ;). I just realized I missed DWTS tonight. :(. Friends are here from Florida so I got distracted. I'm not familiar with Valerie's show, but I like her so maybe I'll check it out.

    It was beautiful here too this weekend, and still is, I love this time of year!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have before photos - especially from previous seasonal photos. As well as a few of the beginning progress by the landscapers. I can't wait to share all soon!
      I think you'd love Valerie's show! I'm printing off some of her recipes already!
      Blessings my beautiful Friend! xo

      Delete
  9. Ooh, hope it's not too disruptive with all that landscaping going on. Doreen is right, get out there and take some photos for us!! Your menu plans sound yummy! Have a great week, Carrie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's still a bit of chaos Alison - but so worth it! I can't wait to share before and after photos soon! And to get all of my pretty Fall decorations outside too. I picked up some new goodies just for the occasion. ;)
      Blessings my Dear! xo

      Delete