Thursday, October 1, 2015

Cooking Thursday: LoveFoodies Mini Chicken Pot Pies

Hello All! 

Could someone please tell me what happened to September? I seemed to have blinked and it disappeared. I swear the days have been flying by me lately! I guess that's what busy days to you.  


Here I am late again with a post, but I thought I'd still get it out. My mornings have been filled lately, so I'm not able to get to my computer until the afternoon. I didn't get a chance to make the mini chicken pot pies this week that were on my menu, but many of you seemed very interested in the recipe. So I thought I'd share the pin off of my pinterest board where I have it saved. I liked the looks of this recipe because it looked easy, yet hearty and really cute! Always a nice bonus with dinner. Lol

Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies. Delicious little pies with crisp pastry. Freezer friendly and great for parties too!

Here's a photo of them from when LoveFoodies Blog put them on Pinterest. I love how she cut out the dough with flower shapes to make the top crust. See? - super cute!  When I make these I plan to just use a glass to cut out a circle for the tops. But then I'll top it with a few decorative pie crust leaves use the technique I like for making them. I don't have a mini leaf cookie cutter either, I cut them out myself. I've used them before when I've made apple and spiced peach pie. When I do make them I'll share photos.  For now -here's the recipe I pinned:

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 – 45 minutes
Yield: 12
You will need: 12 hole muffin pan
Ingredients
The Pastry:
12 oz / 340 g Shortcrust pastry
See here if you would like a recipe to make your own. You will need to DOUBLE the ingredients for the pastry recipe to get 12 mini pies.
The Filling:
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey meat
1/2 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup mixed vegetables ( I used carrots, corn kernels and peas)
1 beaten egg (for the egg wash at the end)
Instructions
1. First make the pastry if making your own, divide into 2 balls and wrap with plastic wrap and leave to rest in the fridge whilst you prepare the filling.
Then prepare the filling as follows:
2. Put chopped chicken or turkey, mixed veg and cream of chicken soup in a bowl and mix well. Add a pinch of pepper. No salt needed as I find the soup is already salty enough. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C and grease a 12 hole muffin tray.
4. Roll out one ball of pastry and cut rounds to fit the muffin tray.
5. Fill the pastry cases with the chicken mixture.
6. Using the remaining pastry, roll out and use a flower shape cookie cutter and cut out as many flowers as you can. You can of course use any shape cookie cutter, such as stars etc.
7. Slightly overlap the flowers to cover the top of the filling and top with a flower.
8. Brush the top with the beaten egg and bake till bubbling or golden brown about 35-45 mins.
Cool completely before removing the pies from the tin

When I make them I also intend on using store bought pie crust to make them even easier. That's part of the reason this recipe appeals to me - it can be done quickly and easily.

I think some of you seemed concerned about putting the crust in the muffin pan too. I think the easiest thing would be to roll out your dough (or store pie crust) and cut out circles large enough to go all the way up the sides of the muffin pan. Then when putting circles on the top you can pinch a little over the top edges of the bottom crust.  I even think store bought biscuit dough would work well if you rolled the pre-done circles out wide enough. If you make it before me let me know how it goes! 


I'm linking with Sandra from Diary of a Stay at Home Mom for Cooking Thursday.

cookingthursday


10 comments:

  1. Sorry, no idea where September went, but if you find out I would love to know as it disappeared here at a rate of knots too! Hope that you enjoy the pies when you make them, the little circles on the tops are very cute aren't they! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!! Hopefully the rest of Fall will slow down enough so we can enjoy it more! Lol
      Happy weekend xo

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about September, and after May it's my favorite month! The mini pies look like a wonderful fall supper. I'm getting tired of covering my plants at night. I'm going to let them go and take my chances tonight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully October will go a little slower for us Judy!

      I just love the rebel you are - and hope your plants behave. ;)
      Blessings. Xo

      Delete
  3. These are so cute and sound so good! Thanks for another good one.
    The salad I shared today was yummy and everyone really liked it. It's going on my favorite salad list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it Mari! I thought it was so yummy too - especially for being such a different mix of flavors. ;)
      Blessings my Dear. Xo

      Delete
  4. Mmmm...oh, I love chicken pot pie! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany! I think they look so yummy too. ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting this, Carrie, they look ideal Autumn food! The days are getting chillier although we've had lots of bright sunshine too, I'm going to eat more pastry to help keep me warm ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are a Gal after my own heart Alison! Let's hear it for cozy Fall foods - especially with pastry involved! Lol ;) xo

      Delete