Thursday, October 29, 2015

Easy Apple Pie

Just about any kind of apple dessert is wonderful this time of year. A big favorite around here is apple crisp - see my recipe here.  


But another favorite is good old fashioned easy apple pie, and that's what I want to share today.


This is the recipe from Pillsbury - and I used their refrigerated crusts instead of homemade this time. It is a simple recipe, but a wonderful one! I didn't think about taking photos until I was part way through photos, but here are the steps and the recipe:




First, I thawed out pie crust on counter for 15 minutes. Then I unrolled one crust into bottom of my pie plate. I then took my peeled and sliced apples (I used honey crisps) and tossed them with the filling ingredients I will share below. The only thing I changed in this part is where it calls for 3/4 cup of sugar....I made 1/4 of that brown sugar and the rest (1/2 cup) regular white granulated sugar.  Here is the full recipe:

Ingredients

Crust

1
box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box

Filling*

6
cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (6 medium) 
3/4
cup sugar
2
tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4
teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4
teaspoon salt
1/8
teaspoon ground nutmeg
1
tablespoon lemon juice

Heat oven to 425°F. Place 1 pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom.  In large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Top with second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal; flute. Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust.  Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cover edge of crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.


I made the filling and crust as instructed. I then used the excess crust that I had from cutting around the edge of the pie crust and rolled it out separately and cut it out into leaf shapes.




I then place the leaves on the center of the top pie crust and cut some slits on the top before baking.




I then brushed on some milk and sprinkled the top with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. I then baked as it's directed above.


Then cut into slices and eat warm topped with vanilla bean or cinnamon ice cream. Yum!! I'm linking with Sherry from The Charm of Home for her Home Sweet Home party.










16 comments:

  1. OH!!!! This looks amazing!!!
    I'll have a slice, please.
    And I always use the Pillsbiry crusts!!!
    And always get compliments on them.
    Have a cozy, Halloween weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo! A piece will be sent right over. ;)

      I love those crust too. But once in a while The Pioneer Woman's homemade crust (FULL of butter) is really awesome for something special too.

      Happy cozy Halloween to all of you too! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your pie looks and sounds delicious! I like the idea of using some brown sugar too, I bet that tastes nice and caramelly!! Must make an apple pie! We are having apple cake at the moment, but I think that we might need a pie! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thought with the brown sugar too Amy! ;)

      Apple cake sounds quite lovely as well. I'll share some of mine if you share some of yours. Lol!

      Thanks Hon and blessings to you. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Carrie, I have also really been enjoying Instagram. I had no idea it was for Home & Garden & Foodie stuff. When I got on there a few weeks ago I was so surprised to find everyone already on there! Duh! Your pie is beautiful! I love these Pillsbury pie crusts. I use them more than I make them from scratch. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey better late than never Sherry! Lol I have such fun on insta...and often end up really hungry after I've looked at everybody's goodies. ;)

      Those pie crusts are dreamy, aren't they? For something so quick and easy they're really tasty.
      Blessings for a Happy Halloween!! xo

      Delete
  4. Carrie, I have also really been enjoying Instagram. I had no idea it was for Home & Garden & Foodie stuff. When I got on there a few weeks ago I was so surprised to find everyone already on there! Duh! Your pie is beautiful! I love these Pillsbury pie crusts. I use them more than I make them from scratch. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one pretty pie! You're making me hungry. Thanks for the yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! Easy - but so GOOD! ;) My kind of recipe. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your pumpkin recipe last week and your apple recipes this week! How cool is that to be published!!!
    Still suck at the beach, to see the leaves I have to drive to Williamsburg. Leaves don't all come down around coastal Virginia, because we don't really get a hard freeze until well into Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant STUCK, because the house hasn't sold yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margot!!

      I was so surprised with the apple crisp recipe being published - and felt it was a nod to my Gram I loved so...as it was a lot her recipe with a few tweaks.

      Such a bummer on the house wait. Hang in there my Friend. I truly believe there's a reason for everything, and maybe your timing in everything is meant to be for a reason. Glad that you have somewhere you can drive to and get your "color fix" .
      Continued prayers on the house and wishing you a Happy Halloween weekend. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thanks Carrie! Stay warm in that "Superior" place of yours. oxox

      Delete
  8. So pretty especially with the little leaves. I've never used pillsbury crusts - I come from a family of pie snobs haha - but I may have to keep one stocked from spur of the moment cravings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good for that Laura! And nice for making quick easy hand pies - easy to cut out. Overall, for quick store bought crust they have nice flavor and texture. But I'm with you in that I still think homemade crust is that much richer! ;) xo

      Delete
  9. This is a beautiful pie! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete