Friday, October 2, 2015

Five on Friday: Favorite parts of a Walk

Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year to be out walking! It's so cool and crisp - yet not freezing, and of course all the colors are getting amazing out there now. It's a great time to get on the walking shoes and breathe deep and take it all in! Here are my top favorite parts of a walk:

ONE

From this summer - look at that sky!


at our local park










our bay the other night at twilight


Taking in all the beauty right in my own backyard. Right now there's gorgeous Fall colors, lovely crunchy leaves to walk in, and beautiful roads and parks so close to my home.



TWO










It can be some quality family time. It's a wonderful outlet for my MIL with Alzheimers. When I'm caregiving for her during the week she can be restless at times and we both just love getting out for walk! We both love the time together, and she likes "helping me" take Ruby for a walk.  It's also times when my daughter and I will just go, or with some of her friends bike riding... and we'll all have fun together. Sometimes we'll have good talks, sometimes it's just getting to the park and having fun!



THREE



part of our local marina - I forgot the photo with all the docked sailboats


Japanese garden close by my home 








information about our sister city in Japan











love this sweet little cottage house decorated for Fall



this house is very close to ours - my kiddos think it's creepy - I just find it sad that's it's been neglected too much



There are so many wonderful sights to take in along the way. We have gone to a park across town that is by our local marina and it's so pretty to go along the walk way and there's even an old ship that's been permanently beached and you can tour it. 


Also, there's a little park close to our larger local park that is decorated like a Japanese garden and shares information about our "sister city" in Ami, Japan. 


And I especially love looking at all the beautiful houses right in my neighborhood. It's fun when the holidays come around and I can see how everyone decorates. Also, finding little treasures like a perfect mushroom that my daughter is certain fairy folk will be dancing under later. 


FOUR

Of course there's the benefit to my health! A good walk helps me put on the fitbit miles and work to be a stronger and healthier me.  Not to mention, it often helps my sanity and peace of mind. When I walk on my own it's my good talk to God time, or sort out my thoughts time.


FIVE

And one of my favorite parts of a walk is when I come back and reward myself! In the summer if it's hot it would be with a good cup of iced tea or lemonade. In this cooler crisp weather it's a nice hot cup of tea or cider and curling up under a warm cozy throw and reading a good book. Thanks for sharing my love of walking today!  Do you love a good walk too?


*Just a reminder that my special Uncle Don will be visiting this next week, so I will be taking the week off from posting. Have a wonderful weekend, great week ahead and I'll be back soon!


I'm linking with Amy of Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.











38 comments:

  1. You certainly took us on a wonderful tour of your local neighbourhood, some beautiful places to walk. I can understand why you find it so great when you have such beautiful sights to see. A great five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ;) it was so nice to take my friends on my walks with me this time. Lol
      Happy weekend!! Xo

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your beautiful photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely photos, Carrie! We are not really seeing fall yet, but there has been enough of a temperature drop to enjoy a brisk wall in the morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A walk whenever it works is good Cecilia! ;)
      Hope it cools down a bit more soon. Enjoy those Fall moments when you can. Xoxo

      Delete
  4. You have some beautiful places to go for walks, I am sure that your family all enjoy them, and your fitbit certainly sees the benefit! You have a lovely place to sit and relax afterwards too, I love that mug! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend and a great week with your Uncle. See you again when he has gone home! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could rack our Fitbit miles up together Amy!!
      Keep enjoying your walks too - and cozy moments. ;)
      Happy weekend! Xo

      Delete
  5. As tempting as your walks look,
    I think I'll skip to the last step....
    But you will still be my friend, right? ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends forever Billie Jo! Lol
      And I'll join you for a cozy cuppa anytime. Xoxo

      Delete
  6. I'm curious what you mean about the 'sister city' in Japan?

    I know what you mean about neglected houses. I hate to see that, but there sure are many of them.

    Enjoy your time away and your visit with your Uncle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the details Doreen, but I think we had some teachers live & teach their for a year & we had folks from Ami Japan come here. Maybe even students exchanged too? I'd have to go look it up.

      I hate seeing a pretty neglected house. :(

      Hope you have a lovely weekend Sweetie! Xoxo

      Delete
  7. I LOVE to walk and run. I will be doing that a lot when I move back home. Walks here are flat and boring. If you want to see Autumn leaves, you have to go an hour north to Williamsburg. All of December in Williamsburg it is beautiful too.
    Is that an old ore boat beached??
    Thanks for the recipe yesterday!
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet it is beautiful there Margot!

      I think it is an old ore boat! I haven't toured it in ages. It's next to a mini golf course now. ;)

      So great that you take care of yourself by walking exercise too. Unfortunately up here, of course, walking in the north in Winter is much harder. I go to my treadmill a lot then.

      Happy weekend Hon! Xo

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful walk! You have a lot more color than we do.
    Enjoy your break and Uncle Don!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari!
      The colors have really been coming out recently. I think this next week or so should be peak! ;)
      Have a great weekend. Xoxo

      Delete
  9. What beautiful walks, I am supposed to walk every day and I don't really like it, but if I walked with you I think I'd love it.. lovely to read your MIL likes your walks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well keep working at it Chris! Wish I could help you out by sharing my neighborhood with you. It is a lovely place to walk. I'm not always as good as I should be either.
      Thanks for popping by. Have a lovely weekend! Xo

      Delete
  10. I LOVE walking and receive much more from taking one than the health benefits. :) Our weather is still pretty crummy though. I am dreaming of a nice, cool, crisp breeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well sending you cool crisp thoughts Tammy! Hope the weather will get good & Fallish soon. ;)
      Happy weekend! Xoxo

      Delete
  11. The photo of the sky and the lake at twilight are beautiful!!! I love the photos of the homes near you - it's fun to get a taste of the style of homes in your area. We went to a Japanese Tea Garden a few years ago in San Francisco and it was, by far, my favorite part of the trip! I always always always feel better after a good walk! :) Enjoy your weekend and your time with family next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I love our neighborhood & it is such a pretty place to walk. We're blessed with several pretty parks for being a smaller city. ;)
      Walks are so lovely & especially that feeling when you get back from a good one.
      Have a great weekend Hon! Xo

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous pictures. Such perfect blue skies! I am glad a walk is an outing for you and your MIL. Fresh air and time spent together - what could be better? I too, reward myself after a walk with a rest and a drink. After all a few calories won't hurt after we burned a few on the road, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bronwyn!
      You're obviously a Gal after my own heart - with enjoying the reward after a good walk. Lol
      Blessings for a lovely weekend! Xo

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful area you live in Carrie! Loved these views of your local parks where it must be a real treat to go with your family. I love walking too, although my daily walks are not nearly so inspiring ;) I have to get in my van to drive to the nice parts of town! Have a great week with your uncle!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wendy! So happy we could "walk together" in my neighborhood through here and share with you that way. ;)

      Blessings on the rest of your week! xoxo

      Delete
  14. If I had so many beautiful areas to walk through, I think I'd definitely take more walks. I love your cozy spot for reading, too. Blessings... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dee! So happy to share it with you. ;)
      Blessings. xoxo

      Delete
  15. Your first photo of the sky is gorgeous! And I love your shots of the bay and marina. Some of those houses are beautiful as well. Looks like a very nice place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bethany! I feel blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the northwoods with my beautiful Great Lake so much a part of it. ;)

      Blessings on the rest of your week! xoxo

      Delete
  16. So wonderful to have so many pretty places to walk close by! This is the perfect time of year for walking - not too hot and not too cold and the scenery is so beautiful. Wish we lived close by - I would love to be your walking buddy:) Your chair looks so cozy to relax in after a good brisk walk. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that too Karen! It would be so fun to have a lovely walking buddy like you. :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  17. I love the pictures! Such beautiful views. I enjoy a good walk at the end of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather! I love a good walk too - and especially this time of year. ;)
      xo

      Delete
  18. How great to have plenty of nice places near to you to walk in! It's such good exercise and lovely that your MIL enjoys walking with you too. I hope you're having a super time with your uncle visiting :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alison! Had a lovely visit with my Uncle. :)
      Now I"m back to walking so I can work off all the goodies I ate last week! Lol
      xo

      Delete
  19. What gorgeous photos Carrie, my goodness you live in a beautiful area :)

    I hope you're having a good week and hope you have a great weekend too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandra! Love to share it with you. :)
      Blessings on this week ahead my Friend.
      xoxo

      Delete