Thursday, October 15, 2015

Slow Cooker Bacon Corn Chowder

I'm late with a post today, but for a very good reason! It's my birthday today - so I've been busy having fun. It was a great day and I had fun going shopping with my Mom and going out to lunch. I had my daughter's volleyball this evening, but we had a nice late dinner and my hubby brought me beautiful roses when he came home from work. I also received lovely cards and some things my daughter made for me. I had fun shopping and have a new purse and some lovely jewelry to show for it. ;)  I feel very blessed. Now on to today's post.





I had found this recipe for slow cooker corn chowder in a gooseberry patch cookbook and thought I'd give it a try. It was good, but I think there steps that could be taken to give it even better flavor. 

First, chop up some red potatoes.



Bake up some bacon nice and crisp.



Put some frozen corn and the potatoes in the slow cooker.



Add the bacon, some dried minced onion, water, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and tumeric.


Pour in some chicken broth.



I also added some parsley.



Cook on low 8 to 9 hours until potatoes are tender.





Then add in some monterey jack shredded cheese and some evaporated milk.



The recipe didn't call for it, but I then used my immersion blender to blend up some of the soup so it still had some potato and corn bits to it, but made it a bit smoother and thicker.  You could garnish with chopped chives - I chose to add a sprinkle of cheddar french fried onion bits.


**This recipe is meant to be easy in that it uses a lot of dried ingredients that you might already have in your pantry. But I think that it would have been a more flavorful soup if I had used more fresh ingredients. I would have used fresh onion (not dried) and fried the bacon in a pan & used the drippings to cook the onion a bit before putting in the slow cooker. Also, I didn't use that great of a frozen corn. I would have used a good and more sweet corn. I also would have used fresh herbs. I liked the texture (after blending) and creaminess. You could add real milk or cream too.


Here is the recipe I have from the cookbook:

5 c. redskin potatoes, cubed
16 oz pkg frozen corn
6 slices bacon - crisply cooked & crumbled
1/4 c. dried minced onion
2  - 14 oz cans of chicken broth
1 c. water
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp tumeric
12 oz can evaporated milk
8 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
Optional: garnish with chopped chives

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, except milk & cheese. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours until potatoes are tender. Stir in milk and cheese and cover until cheese melts. Garnish with chives if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings.


I'm linking with Sandra from Diary of Stay at a Home Mom for Cooking Thursday.

cookingthursday


8 comments:

  1. I've never made corn chowder before. I like the idea of bacon in it and I would like it blended too. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like a great day!!!! I love corn chowder, but never thought of adding potatoes to it, will have to give that a go sometime! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great day and feel so blessed. Especially as this year I have Blogland friends too.
      HOpe you're having a great weekend my Dear! xo

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, sweet Carrie! My DIL's birthday is the same day! I just love this recipe - my Mom used to make corn chowder all the time and without a recipe, too, so I never found out how she made it. I remember that she added bacon and potatoes, but that was all I knew....I will be using my slow cooker this week, as my oven element went out on me. Now the Mr. has to find one, which will take quite a search, as it is a 1961 Hotpoint! He found one before, though, so let's hope he can again. I hope your birthday was as special as you are, my Dear! My birthday is in October, too! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well how wonderful - my kindred spirits from the west share my birthday month - love that!! Happy birthday to your DIL and to you as well this month. ;) I think we have our bday in the best month of the year by far! Lol

      Wishing your Mr. lots of luck to find the part you need! It's so cool that you have an older oven like that - so much more character. ;)

      Hope you're having a wonderful weekend dear Karen. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh My Goodness! I missed it :(. I guess your posts arrive a day late in my inbox, which is quite typical, but nonetheless, Happy Belated Birthday sweet lady! I'm so glad you had a lovely day.

    P.S. LOVE CORN CHOWDER!! (Had some for lunch today).

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Doreen! I had a great day and felt the love and blessings the whole day through. ;)

      Hope you're having a lovely and colorful weekend my Friend!! xoxo

      Delete