Thursday, November 5, 2015

Autumn Salad & Honey Dijon Dressing

I used to always think of salad as mainly a side dish to my meal. But I've come to love and see salad as a wonderful meal anytime of the year! What I love is that the ingredients can be so versatile. Just use whatever flavors you prefer, and it's especially fun to play with what's seasonal for fruit or veggies. 


The other night we had salad as a family as our meal for the evening. Everybody could have whichever fruits or veggies they liked best and wanted to add. I didn't take pics of the individual ingredients, but here's the salad I made for myself and here's the ingredients I provided:






I started with a base of romaine lettuce (my favorite of choice for salad), shredded carrot and broccoli for everybody - as we all like those. Then we all added what we wanted from these other ingredients (I chose them all!): 

*shredded rotisserie chicken 

*apple and pear chunks 

*dried cranberry, 

*shredded cheddar cheese, 

*sunflower seeds,

 *asiago cheese croutons  


But the biggest hit was the honey dijon dressing! I forgot to take pics of the process - but here's the empty bowl to let you know it was used up by all 4 of us and my son wanted more! Lol  


EASY HONEY DIJON DRESSING

1/2 c. olive oil  

1/3 c. honey  

2 Tbsp lemon juice  

1 Tbsp mayo  

2 Tbsp dijon mustard

 Whisk everything together until well blended. Re-mix before serving if needed.



It was a filling and satisfying meal and had the yummy flavors of Fall! 


10 comments:

  1. I'm a salad nut too Carrie. They're kind of like pizza...anything goes. You know what I'm going to do right this minute? I'm gonna get my butt off of my recliner and make that dressing for tonight's salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Doreen!!! According to my son it was lick the bowl clean good. Lol ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! That looks really good and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! It was quite tasty. :) xo

      Delete
  4. This looks SO good! I often eat salads as a main dish ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a nice way to get those veggies in - yet can taste so good, isn't it?
      Blessings Cecilia! xo

      Delete
  5. I love that kind of salad! Mine this noon had many of those same ingredients without the cheese (can you believe it???) or the croutons. AND, I love honey Dijon for salads and for dipping homemade fried chicken strips! This looks so wonderful.

    Hope you have a nice weekend. - Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love honey dijon as a dip too Judy! So yummy!! Blessings on your weekend Doll. xo

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love a hearty salad for dinner and yours looks delicious!! And I like your idea of letting everyone choose their own toppings.
    As for that dressing, I was just looking at different homemade dressings on Pinterest as I'm getting tired of my usual balsamic based one so your recipe is perfect timing! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like the dressing as much as we did Laura! xoxo

      Delete