Monday, February 22, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday

happyhomemakermonday

Hello and Happy Monday Friends! 


It was a wonderful past weekend (& week for that matter) that flew by! I took a break and said I was busy, but it was actually because we were on a family road trip during my son's winter break from school. We decided we wanted to go to Milwaukee and then visit family in Green Bay on the way back home and catch some Green Bay Gamblers hockey games. Those of you that follow me on instagram probably already figured a lot of that out. I prepared some posts ahead of time and had them set before I left, as I knew I didn't want to take my computer and I just wanted to focus on family for the week. We had such fun eating great food, visiting museums and other fun places, and of course getting in some quality family time together! It's always nice to be home, but difficult to get back to reality today - so here goes...


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Around 30* and cloudy. We had some snow as we rolled into town getting back  last night. I think more snow/rain predicted tomorrow if it gets warm enough. 



ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

A slice of toast with nutella and some strawberry slices. Coffee with natural hazelnut creamer.



  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Just lots of gray. A new dusting of snow is covering everything - so the ground looks clean and bright white. I see some blue jays flying together from tree to tree out my office window.



RIGHT NOW I AM:

I am listening to nature sounds from Johnnie Lawson on youtube. If you haven't ever seen his beautiful nature videos I highly recommend you check them out! They're as soothing to watch as to listen to. I'm listening to birds chirp as a brook is bubbling through a forest - I think he wrote that the video I'm listening to was taken somewhere in Ireland. So peaceful and relaxing as I try to motivate myself off vacation mode.



AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Been doing laundry since last night, but still lots of catch up there. Need to put things away from the trip, tidy up in general. I want to do some dusting and clean up too. Take down my Valentine's things still up here and there and put out my few St. Patrick decorations. Love that we're heading to more of the Spring holidays. March here we come!  I'll be getting my Easter goodies out before too long. 




ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Many of the things I mentioned above. Plus, I need to empty out our fridge of anything old/expired. I've been working a grocery list for tomorrow and need to plan meals for the in-law's too.




CURRENTLY READING:

I finished my Nora Roberts book on the trip - it was a fun read! Now I'm looking into something else light and quick to just keep jump starting me back to more reading.



ON THE TV TODAY:

We caught up on the Amazing Race last night as a family. We also watched Survivor when we were on the trip in the hotel one night. I still need to catch up on American Idol, The Good Wife and some cooking shows. I did watch Downton Abbey last night after everyone went to bed as I couldn't wait!! Lol! Just loving it so much. ;)  




ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: clean out the fridge - probably something easy...maybe sandwich wraps stuffed with meat and veggies to use up. Side of fruit


TUESDAY: chicken salad sandwiches and chips and a garden salad


WEDNESDAY: Southern Bourbon BBQ meatballs & mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans


THURSDAY:slow cooker ham and scalloped potatoes


FRIDAY: waffles and fruit (breakfast for dinner) 

**I'm also planning to bake some banana bread and make blueberry bars with cream cheese frosting during the week (bring the in-law's some home cooked treats too).




WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Scrapbooking project that will be a gift for a cousin of mine in the future.



NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

Nothing really new this week




TIP OF THE WEEK:

I always have an extra blanket in the car (for hockey games and just because I live in the north! Lol), but it comes in handy when you're staying at hotels, like we just did on our trip. We often do the pull out couch in the room for the kiddos and the extra blanket works well as more warmth, as hotel blankets are often "wimpy" or when we make an extra bed out of cushions on the floor if one of the kiddos wants to sleep there. 



FROM THE CAMERA:

We ate wonderful things like this on our trip:  strawberry nutella crepes with a side of parmesean garlic hashbrowns. And blueberry pancakes bigger than your head! 








We went and saw a beyond breathtakingly BEAUTIFUL Basilica (say that 5 times fast) in Milwaukee that was built by Polish immigrants. We also went to wonderful museums and one included an aquarium.




And we even had time for antiquing and I picked up a lovely roseville pottery teapot that fits perfectly in one of my dining room cubbies. A wonderful souvenir! 



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:



I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

24 comments:

  1. So glad you had such a nice trip! Sounds like fun - I love aquariums! And antiquing! And strawberry nutella crepes - yum!!!
    Your tea pot is beautiful. What a perfect souvenir.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd fit right in with our family - enjoying so many things as much as we did dear Laura! Lol It was so fun and just a nice break, as well as quality time together. ;)
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a great time away!! I am sure that you enjoyed the time with your family a great deal. I had noticed you were "missing" and was going to e-mail you this evening, but now I know that you are fine! Hope you have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Amy! Even going to check in on me. A true Friend indeed!! ;) It was a great trip and at least I got to link late to 5 on Fri. Lol
      Blessings Sweetie. xo

      Delete
  3. Yay for a getaway!
    And that Basicila!
    I could have sat in there all day!
    Have a nice week. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo! And oh yes, that Basilica! I wish I could put the "feel" and "sacredness" right in with the photos. ;)
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  4. Milwaukee does have some gorgeous churches. My family settled north of Milwaukee in 1848, but I have spent my early years in Milwaukee. Later we moved into the homestead, which is now a coffee cafe on Hwy. 60 in Jackson.
    LOVE the teapot, where did you find it??
    Flurries here.
    Warm hugs,
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO cool Margot!! Milwaukee is such a beautiful and neat old historical city.
      Found the teapot in the big antique mall in Tomah on our way down during the trip.

      Gray skies here today. Flurries yesterday. ::sigh:: Spring where are you?? Come soon! Lol
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  5. I seriously think churches are some of the most amazingly beautiful buildings in the world!

    I was just talking today about crepes. We had lunch but then came across a place that served crepes and I was wishing I was still hungry :). I was too full for that but not so full that I couldn't eat a key lime gelato ;).

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You are a Gal after my own heart. ;) Gelato? Yes please! Lol

      This Basilica was so beautiful just felt extra sacred and special. Such a fun trip! Hope you're still having lots of fun too!
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  6. Oh, that basilica is amazing, just gorgeous - and so is your teapot! What a great find. I feel hungry looking at your delicious food - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Trish!! It was such a beautiful place. And extra neat that it was built by Polish immigrants - which is part of my heritage. ;)

      We ate WAY too much yummy food on the trip! Extra workouts this week. Lol!
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had an amazing trip. Those food pictures are making my mouth water and we just ate dinner! Hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! It was SO wonderful, and just the break we needed! Trying to get back to reality this week. Lol!
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  8. So glad you were able to take a road trip and have family time! I love your teapot! Looks like it was always in the cubby, like they are long lost friends. Great pictures from the trip too. Have a great week and hope you catch up fast. Laundry alone is a pain after a trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamy! And I think you're right. That teapot was just meant for that cubby! lol ;)
      Still doing laundry!! Blessings on the rest of your week. xo

      Delete
  9. I love road trips, and yours sounds like it was a lot of fun. Great looking dome in the Basilica! I read recently that the Easter Island heads actually have a whole body attached to them under the ground. Very interesting. Love your little teapot, and how lucky that there was a spot waiting for it right there in your dining room ... huh ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wendy!! It was a great trip and we learned lots of fascinating things. So much fun and didn't want it to end. ;) My waistline is glad we did though. Lol!

      It was just destiny with that teapot wasn't it? ha! At least that's what I convinced my hubby. ;)
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  10. Looks like such a fun trip!
    I think we watch the same shows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! And I always knew you had great taste. ;) (about the tv shows) Blessings. xo

      Delete
  11. A road trip with the fam always makes the best memories! Even the grumpy moments are funny when recalled later:) Love the photos - those crepes and pancakes have my mouth watering, and such lovely Angels in the Basilica! I love your choice of souvenirs - the teapot is perfect in your beautiful cabinet. Always love seeing that sweet, sweet daughter of yours, too. Hope you get that laundry done so you can do some scrap-booking of your trip! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It was a great trip that flew by too fast!! But the lovely memories, photos, souvenirs - and LAUNDRY remains. Lol ;)
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  12. This is really inspiring me to take a trip to Milwaukee. I haven't been there for years, and have never ever been to Green Bay. Can you believe that?? Those crepes look fantastic, but that basilica is stunningly beautiful. I'd love to see it in person. Thanks for sharing the road trip! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Judy - you definitely need to go to both!! You'd LOVE that Basilica!! There was a wonderful docent in the gift shop that filled us in on even more history. There's a neat "museum" of the basilica in the lower level with a lovely little chapel down there.

      You should go to a Packers game next FAll!! Perfect time to go to Green Bay and Lambeau is the coolest stadium in the world! I'd recommend Door County then too. So pretty and fun charming shops and food.
      Blessings. xo

      Delete