Monday, February 8, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday

happyhomemakermonday


Good morning Friends and Happy Monday!  


I hope you had a wonderful weekend. It was a busy one here filled with my son's hockey games, errands, house cleaning, and the big Super Bowl!We had some friends over last night and had lots of fun watching the game and gobbling up way too many naughty goodies. I felt the game itself was sort of underwhelming...but Lady Gaga's national anthem was great - and the half time show was so good and the best I've seen. I just LOVED it!! Only a few good commercials this year.  

But then, just like that, a busy fun weekend is over and it's time to jump into a new week!!


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Chilly this morning. Only in the teens for temps and snowing. It's supposed to be a pretty chilly week with most temps getting in only the single digits and below zero with windchill. Ugh!!


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

1/2 of an onion bagel, toasted hazelnut coffee and yogurt with fruit.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Snow blows in gusts sometimes in front of my window and gets all swirly for a few seconds. It looks gray and cold. However, it was warm here Saturday - almost 40*!! And I saw 2 robins that day...so I'm choosing to take that as a very hopeful sign that it WILL be an early Spring! Lol



RIGHT NOW I AM:

Listening to soothing music as I work on this and try to feel fully awake. I already had my coffee, but this gray weather, in combination with feeling snuggly indoors, makes me sleepy.  


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Tidy overall. Laundry as usual. But lots of housework was done before our Super Bowl gathering. And my sweet hubby was a dream boat and loaded the dishes last night after everyone left. I knew it was smart to keep him around. ;) 



ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Still working on my office organization and some crafting projects in there. I need to get a workout in and have been trying to take more of that priority time for myself. I need to catch up in blogging world too. With the busy weekend here  -I know there are many of you I didn't get to visit last week. I hope to get around more today and catch up with you friends. 

Some things have changed with my MIL's schedule now, and some decisions have been made. I'm so excited to say that I will have decreased time with her - but healthy safe changes are being made on her behalf. I will still be involved and doing some caregiving, taking her to her appointments and still cooking for my in-law's, but it's also going to be a healthier change for my mom and me as we will be caring for her less. I'm excited about feeling less drained and having the energy again to put into my immediate family time, my home, exercise, friends, crafting etc.  It feels like a weight is off my chest and I couldn't be happier!  Thanks for all the continued prayers and support. God is good and the power of all of it has helped so much!!



CURRENTLY READING:

Some magazines and a new Nora Roberts book - if I stay on it and finish it!! Lol


ON THE TV TODAY:

I watched Downton and just keep savoring every second. I don't want it to end!! I have some cooking shows taped yet. 



ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: leftover game day food


TUESDAY: meatloaf, cheesy potatoes, mixed vegetable 


WEDNESDAY: salad bar night - fast/no meat Ash Wednesday


THURSDAY: slow cooker kielbasa soup with cold sandwich sliders


FRIDAY:  not sure - out for dinner?


WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Valentine's cards, valentine project


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

kielbasa soup is a new recipe



TIP OF THE WEEK:

I saw this and thought it was such a cute idea - if you host a Spring dinner or lunch in the coming months...use empty seed packets as recipe holders next to each place setting. You could cut the tops of the packets with decorative scissors to make them even more adorable. Festive, seasonal, easy and pretty!



FROM THE CAMERA:




Some of the yummy eats from this weekend (& why I need to hit the treadmill!!). I made Billie Jo's cherry berry pie and boy was it delish and a hit with my family!!!  Some of the eats I made for the Super Bowl were a variety of sandwich roll-ups, slow cooker sloppy joe sliders with fixings, and butterscotch chocolate chip bars. 




PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:

Lent begins this week.


I'm linking with Sandra from Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

17 comments:

  1. wow, all your yummy food pictures make me hungry! Especially the cherry berry pie one. Glad things have worked out with your mil. I guess I must be in the minority because I wasn't too impressed with the half-time show (I liked Katy Perry's show last year much better). I was in awe of Lady Gaga's national anthem though. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! That pie was delish!! Heading to a much better and healthier deal with my MIL - and I"m so grateful. ;)
      Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  2. All your yummy food pictures make me hungry too!
    Thanks for your comment about the autism fundraising on my page, I knew, just knew that you sweet generous Carrie would want to help out, and I thankyou soooo much for that :) And yes, the link to donate is www.virginmoneygiving.com/Jilldavidson . I presume it will allow payments from non UK cards/accounts, let me know if it doesn't
    Jillxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! I was able to make a donation ;) Best of luck Sweetie and blessings. xoxo

      Delete
  3. That cherry pie looks fantastic! It's probably good that there's not a piece sitting in front of me right now! ;-) I love the lavender heart in your first photo. I posted a couple photos from last night's Downton today. I actually have Season Six on DVD but won't let myself finish the episodes. I will really hate watching that last episode when it comes. :-(( Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so tasty Judy! I know - I just don't want Downton to end when I'm watching one show....let alone the whole series to go. It will be truly missed!! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  4. I am glad that things are working out well with the changes for your MIL, I am sure that it will be better for you all. I hope so. Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Feeling things are much better and healthier. I truly needed more of a break and I wasn't afraid to speak up and share that...and things are much better now. ;) Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  5. So happy things are working out for you all!
    And I am thrilled you all enjoyed the pie!
    It is great for Valentine's Day. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetie! And the pie was awesome!! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  6. I'm not a football fan, but like so many others I love half time. When it was announced Cole Play was it, lots of people complained and they scrambled to get Beyonce and my man Bruno. Oh how I love him!

    We watched the game at the clubhouse with about 70 of our nearest and dearest, and one guy shouted about John Martin, 'why doesn't he stand straight. He looks like a gorilla'! So true. I love Cole play but if it was just them it would have been borrrinnngggggg.

    I can sense the relief you feel Carrie. It's your time now. You've earned it.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love cold play too - but Beyonce and Bruno are amazing!! Too funny about the guy yelling (btw his name is "Chris" Martin). ;)

      I feel the burden being lifted (so to speak) and it's been so needed. Thanks for that dear GAl!! xoxo

      Delete
  7. I'm not a football fan, but like so many others I love half time. When it was announced Cole Play was it, lots of people complained and they scrambled to get Beyonce and my man Bruno. Oh how I love him!

    We watched the game at the clubhouse with about 70 of our nearest and dearest, and one guy shouted about John Martin, 'why doesn't he stand straight. He looks like a gorilla'! So true. I love Cole play but if it was just them it would have been borrrinnngggggg.

    I can sense the relief you feel Carrie. It's your time now. You've earned it.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those camera photos look good enough to eat! You are also right that the game was WAY underwhelming - they both left their offenses at home!

    So glad to hear that things will be less taxing on you and your mom regarding your MIL. Whenever possible family is better at being family companions versus caregivers - better for ALL involved.

    Have a GREAT week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Tamy! Lol

      Thanks so much for the support regarding my MIL - it's been quite a road. We still have a ways to go, but it's SO much better!
      Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  9. That pie looks scrumptious! Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! Blessings to you! xoxo

      Delete