Monday, July 11, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday


Happy Monday dear Friends!  


How are you? Did you have a wonderful weekend? We were gone for a family reunion of sorts. Every summer members of my Dad's side of the family gather at the house where they grew up (he's 1 of 9 kiddos). When my Grandma couldn't live there anymore, my Aunt bought it so it has remained in the family and we're so grateful. It's a beautiful and special place on a lake in the heart of a different northwoods a bit over 3 hours from where I live. We had fun visiting, playing games, swimming in the lake, eating great food...you know all those fun things family do. ;) 




THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:



Cloudy and gray and in the 60's. I woke up to thunderstorms early this AM. I love that, though, when you know you can still snuggle in bed as you listen to the thunder and the rain. Makes me feel snuggley. Supposed to have some nice sunny days in the 70's this week too.







ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

A piece of almond kringle and a cup of coffee.






  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Cloudy and overcast. Lots of puddles in our driveway. When it's gray like this, though, it sure makes our trees and grass look really green.







RIGHT NOW I AM:

In my cozy office. Sipping my almond joy mocha coffee and I've got my water bottle too. Ruby is snuggling by my feet and I can hear my daughter talking on facetime to one of her friends. We brought back my special Uncle Don with us from the reunion. He comes to visit us for a week every year - sometimes in the summer, sometimes in the Fall or Winter.  He's in his 60's and he's mentally challenged and lives with a foster family as he wanted to remain in the city where he grew up, even after my Grandma couldn't live there anymore.  All of the relatives take turns taking him on trips or visits all throughout the year and he just loves it! He's such a sweetheart and we always have so much fun when he visits!







AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Still pretty tidy since we were gone all weekend. Catching up on laundry though - of course!!











ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Laundry, some tidying up, and need to run some items to my kiddos' school...including a book my son forgot to return the end of the year. That stinker!  We also plan to have a lot of fun with Don throughout this week. Some things we have planned include: a trip to the library, go see a movie, go out for some fun lunches, go on a trip up the north shore and do some light house touring, go to the train depot, do a pontoon ride, have a fire and make s'mores....I could go on and on.  We're going to have fun!!








CURRENTLY READING:

I've been catching up on magazines and I'm planning to start the book Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand.







ON THE TV TODAY:

I haven't even looked at what I have taped yet.  I'm sure I have cooking shows among others. Probably won't be watching as much tv with Don here this week. I know I have the Outlander finale taped and haven't been able to watch it yet!! I need to make time for that one as I'm dying to see it! 


 





ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: BLT's, grilled cheeses, tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons, veggies, fruit


TUESDAY: spaghetti hot dish, garlic toast, salad


WEDNESDAY: probably out for dinner


THURSDAY: not sure- might be leftovers or clean out the fridge night



FRIDAY: ???







WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

I recently found some new scrapbook organizers I like and I plan to pre-prep some pages to get more of  head start on the books I'm still to working to catch up.






NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

probably nothing new this week





TIP OF THE WEEK:

This is a great one for me right now as it's high mosquito season here in the northwoods!!





FROM THE CAMERA:


I took a lot of photos at our reunion, but I took them mostly with my good camera and I haven't uploaded them yet. Here's a few I caught with my phone:


Where the reunion is held they are known for the mythical creature called The Hodag. It's a legend that was made up by some lumberjacks in the area long ago. Here's some more info:

Hodag

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the tree-planting tool, see Hoedad.

Hodag "captured" by Eugene Shepard, 1893
The hodag is a folkloric animal of the American state of Wisconsin. Its history is focused mainly around the city ofRhinelander in northern Wisconsin, where it was said to have been discovered. It is also mentioned in several Paul Bunyanstories.


You can read more about the Hodag here.






Photos from a lovely walk in the northwoods and along a creek not far from the family property.






A shot I took of my boys sitting out on the bench looking out at the lake (it looks like they were checking their phones - sad I know). I took this while standing in the giant screened in porch of the house. 






This was a GIANT hydrangea outside our hotel!


PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:

Due to my lovely Uncle's visit I'm not sure how well I'll be keeping up with posting this week. So I will play it by ear and post when I'm able to, but if I don't post much you'll know why. ;) 


I'll be linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.


20 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend, Carrie! I can't believe size of that hydrangea, it's huge, isn't it? Have a super time with Uncle Don this week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear Alison! We had such a fun time with Don and it went so fast!! Hope you're enjoying sweet summer days. xoox

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your visit this week, my friend! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we swap weather? you sound like you are so cozy Your Uncle sounds amazing I love how he wants to stay in his city. Your area looks beautiful Id love to take walks in a place like that! I like the stones in the screened in porch. and those Hydrangeas! wow what beauties. Hope you have a great week! p.s. I posted photos on todays blog just for you... of my planner ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear Row!! I need to come by and catch up with you!! I will check out the planner photos too - you Sweetie you! Life has been crazy and I've been in eternal blogging catch up, but having fun doing it!!
      HOpe you've been enjoying wonderful cooler summer days! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you had a great weekend, enjoy your uncle's visit! Also, I love that you call it hotdish. My husband is from Northern Wisconsin and he calls casseroles "hotdish" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so funny how our lingo differs depending on where we grew up, isn't it? Lol Blessings Joanna! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I think it's wonderful that your uncle has so many family members who pitch in. His life would be significantly different if he had no family! He's a lucky man.

    Your recent weather was quite different than ours, which was rainy all weekend. We definitely needed it though, so no complaints here.

    I'm wondering what almond Kringle is? A cereal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Doreen! Still catching up - so more replies to comments for you! Lol

      A kringle is like a pastry ring. It's well known from southern Wisconsin - specifically Racine Wisconsin. It's a big ring of like breakfast pastry that has filling in it (all kinds - fruit, cream cheese... you can take your pick) and then has a frosting glaze on top. It's a big, oval and flat in shape. You cut a section of it and nibble with coffee. Delish!

      Delete
  6. We had a major storm here this morning, but this afternoon the sun came out. It's supposed to get very hot and humid this week.
    That tip is great - I'll be trying it!
    I love the hydrangea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your pictures. So fun!
    And Almond Kringle sounds amazing.
    Happy Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carrie, sounds like you are having a busy and fun summer! Love the photos from your reunion - I love that the house has stayed in the family. Funny about the hodag - I've never heard of it! Here we have Big-foot and many people claim to have seen it. I'm sure you have your own legends of Big-foot there, too! Such a nice family you have....love that you all take turns having Don for visits. Hope you get some sunshine - we are sun-deprived this week, too. Take care and enjoy your week. Hugs and blessings xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of Big Foot legends too. ;) I remember reading a book from the library about the when I was in grade school and freaking myself out! Lol

      Fortunately I've never run into the HOdag or a Big Foot! Lol
      Blessings Karen xoxo

      Delete
  9. YAY! for family reunions and keeping tradition and homes in the family!

    I enjoyed Barefoot. I hope you do too.

    I really have to remember that life hack! We're having such a mosquito summer I know this will come in really handy!

    Keep having a fun-filled summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy the time with your Uncle Don! Your menu for this week sounds delicious. Neat to learn about Hodag. I think I will be trying out your tip of the week...seems the mosquitoes always find me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy the time with your Uncle Don! Your menu for this week sounds delicious. Neat to learn about Hodag. I think I will be trying out your tip of the week...seems the mosquitoes always find me!

    ReplyDelete