Thursday, August 8, 2024

A Couple Desserts with the Fruits of Summer

 


Hello blogging Besties! 

I hope you're still soaking up every last drop of summer. It's mere weeks to September! I'm not sure how that happened but it here we are. In the northwoods we are still loving every minute we can grab here of warm temps, sunny walks, summer sunsets, pontoon time, lounging on the deck, and grilling & eating summer goodies. 


I thought today I'd share a couple of recent recipes I made using some of the yummy fruits of summer. Recipe number 1 is a quick and easy one that I actually saw on social media and tried out for myself for Matt & I when Annie was still gone her trip. We both agreed it was absolutely delish and I think it's definitely worth sharing. I don't remember what account I saw it on - but it's really good. 



You take a couple of fresh yummy peaches. Brush each side with olive oil and place in a pan cut side down. Bake then take out flip over and fill with yummy filling and then bake 5 minutes more. 

They come out glazed and warm, soft and so yummy! We ate ours with a scoop of ice cream. They're taste like healthier peach cobbler (very much had that flavor). You could top with vanilla greek yogurt to be even healthier and get in some protein.  I highly recommend this if you have some wonderful summer peaches. I think you could so something similar on the grill if you wanted to wrap them in foil. 


BAKED SUMMER PEACHES

summer peaches (this is for 1 peach but could easily double for 2 - which would be 4 halves)

1 tbsp of butter

1&1/2 to 2 tsp sugar (do to your taste)

1 to 1&1/2 tsp of cinnamon (again to your taste)

1 tsp vanilla



Preheat oven to 350*.  Wash and halve peach and remove the pit. Brush each side with olive oil and place in little pan cut side down. Bake for 10 minutes. While baking blend softened butter with the sugar, cinnamon & vanillia. Take cooked peaches out and flip over and place the butter mixture in the hollow of each peace half. Bake for 5 minutes more until bubbling and golden. Eat immediately with ice cream or yogurt. Soak up the summer goodness! 




Next up for recipe 2 is this crisp I made a few years back that I think I may have shared before? It's an Ina Garten recipe for strawberry rhubarb crisp. I recently made it again and brought it for our visit to the lake. It's so yummy! I used frozen rhubarb and it created more moisture than when I made it before. So if you do that I think I'd add extra cornstarch (it was a bit more liquidy than I like). I also think it would help to add the cornstarch mixture and let the fruit sit for a while before baking. Both of those will make it less liquid. But the flavor of this crisp is SO good. Especially warm with vanilla bean ice cream. I highly recommend this one too! 😋








Here is the recipe:


  • 4 cups fresh rhubarb, 1-inch diced (4 to 5 stalks)
  • 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved, if large
  • 1¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
  • 1½ teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (see note for gluten-free)
  • ½ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal, such as McCann’s (see note for gluten-free)
  • 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
  • Vanilla ice cream, for serving

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

    For the fruit, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, ¾ cup granulated sugar, and the orange zest together in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and then mix it into the fruit. Pour the mixture into an 8 × 11-inch baking dish and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.

    For the topping, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, salt, and oatmeal. With the mixer on low speed, add the butter and mix until the dry ingredients are moist and the mixture is in crumbles. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it completely, and bake for 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.

    Note: To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute 1 cup Cup4Cup all-purpose gluten-free flour for the 1 cup all-purpose flour and use gluten-free oatmeal, such as Bob's Red Mill, for the quick-cooking oatmeal


    Or if you want to visit the barefoot contessa site directly for the recipe you can click here.


    I hope you give them a try. Enjoy! 

    xoxo

    5 comments:

    1. Thank you for sharing these delicious looking recipes! They both look wonderful. I love Ina Garten's recipes - they've never failed me!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oooh - these look so good! I'll have to get some more peaches before they are done for the year. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yum! These look delicious! I think I will try the peaches this weekend. They look too good not too! : ) I hope all is well with you, my friend! It's still so hot here but I'm cozy inside dreaming of Fall and what's to come. Have a lovely weekend! I'll talk to you on IG! xx

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yummy! That's a great idea with the peaches! I have been craving peach cobbler, so I may give this a shot!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Both recipes sound very good :) would have to adjust a bit for our diet but sounds delicious!

      ReplyDelete