Hello lovely Peeps!
Sending happy Friday vibes your way. 💗✨
I hope you got through this week with flying colors and that it included a lot of sunshine, laughs and those you love most.
And I hope you have a fun weekend planned. I think we'll get in some church time, go out for dinner, and might go to the local Spring Home Show that's always filled with good things...I especially love seeing anything related to gardening and flowers. :)
I will be heading off to do some hospice work soon. Then I'll be taking my Mom for a visit to see an Auntie and bring her something for her bday (it's next week). So before I head out for the day I thought I'd pop in for a Friday Catch Up on the week and I'll also share it with my friend Cathy of Our Creative Life. You can find her here. Share all about your week and join us there too! 😉
One of the first things I wanted to share about this past week was that my gorgeous new electric tea kettle arrived! It has a Laura Ashley print on it. And even a gauge for the temp. Isn't she a beauty!! I just look at her and she makes me smile. BTW you can find it on QVC.
(other patterns too)

So to go with a good cuppa, I wanted to bake something. As you know Matt and I are on a health journey and changing things up with our lifestyle. So I was looking up some different recipes for banana bread. This one intrigued me because you use cottage cheese. It added protein and made the bread very moist. I didn't care for quite such a moist texture but the taste was great! I added some cinnamon and vanilla. And I did 1/2 regular flour and 1/2 almond flour. Adding a little sprinkle of butterscotch chips on top makes everything better, right? And I baked it all in my Polish stoneware loaf pan. Another little cutie - isn't she? I'm in my floral era, can you tell??? 😁🌸
I have some other kinds of healthy banana bread I want to try...some use some protein powder in it, or unsweetened applesauce, etc. I want to find one where I like the texture as well as the flavor the best, and that will also cost me far less sugar and calories (& more health benefits) than my traditional banana bread. Stay tuned...
We had some yummy healthy meals this week: sushi bowls with carrot, cucumber, avocado, nori sheets, crab, sticky rice, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, a drizzle of sriracha mayo and crushed peanuts. Eaten with chopsticks for fun too! We used low sodium soy sauce and kept the vinaigrette light because this meal gets out of hand with sodium pretty quickly.
Another night was cabbage roll soup, a garden side salad with rotisserie chicken and some bread for dunking in the soup (& we do top the soup with a little parm). Soup and salad is a meal we could both eat over and over.
For lunch one day I cooked up a protein plant based spicy crispy chicken patty in the air fryer. I cut it up and had it as a wrap with a little sriracha mayo & peanuts in a large romaine leaf. It was SO tasty! The chicken was only 140 calories - it had great texture, it was yummy, so easy, & was filled with protein.
Here are some snacks we're loving and incorporating into our weekly life too. We have these in Buffalo flavor as well.
If you like pickle these are more flavorful than regular pickle potato chips - I'm addicted to them!
And these elderberry lolly's by YumEarth are low sugar and contain vitamins but taste like an absolute treat. You can have 2 for only 40 calories!
And I continue to absolutely love a yogurt for a treat at night instead of ice cream. I've upped the game by adding some toppings and putting it in the freezer for 10 minutes before digging in. I take a couple Tbsp of semi sweet chocolate chips and melt them in the micro. Then I pour and smooth that over the top of the greek yogurt (this one was coconut flavor) and I added some crunched peanuts and pretzel bits. Freeze for 10-15 mins and you have a crunchy shell on top of your cold creamy yogurt to crack into. SOOOO GOOOOOOD!! And a total of around 110-120 calories and 12 grams of protein to end your night. Perfect when you need an ice cream fix.
Matt also loves making sugar free instant pudding with some premier protein milk and making a parfait with it along with berries and and some granola.
But here's my yogurt dessert:
Also, I forgot to get a good shot of this -but it was a chocolate mug cake that had no eggs, stevia sweetener, coconut oil and a few chocolate chips in it. I added a drizzle of chocolate syrup and squirt of whipped cream. And it was so decadent and good. I know the ingredients sound weird but the baking soda needs acid in the form of the white vinegar to work. I used regular all purpose flour. Mine only needed 1 min 20-30 seconds in the micro. Don't overcook it!
*I needed a chocolate cake fix and this totally fit the bill.
I know this week was all about food - but Matt and I are really enjoying this journey of figuring out how to change our lifestyle in ways that work. But we both want to eat the flavors we enjoy and not feel like we're settling for something lesser either.
We both log all of our meals, water, and exercise on an app that keeps track of everything (our calories, macros, protein, sodium, carbs, sugars etc). It's truly amazing when you hold yourself accountable for every little thing you put into your body. It opens your eyes to a lot of things and makes you rethink the way you eat.
I have been working hard on slowly building my exercise patterns and have logged 2 & 1/2 hours of exercise already for this week (including today). I have been building up my endurance and feeling so much better than I have in many months. I'm down 13 lbs now and Matt is down 16 and we've only been at it a month or so. We both have big goals for this year and we're doing it slow and steady. Right now we make sure to stay in a calorie deficit. And once we get where we want to be we will do a maintenance life style and continue to focus on health the rest of our lives.
We have actually been having fun figuring things out together and enjoy the challenge of it all. We also love encouraging one another.❤️
If you're interested in an app to help track - we love My Fitness Pal. You can do it for free and it's great! But we pay for the premium so we can use the scanner for logging our meals and other benefits. I hope maybe some of these recipes are helpful to you if you just want a few healthier options in your week.
Now that I've been doing this for a while I can say it just gets easier and easier to be in a zone with it all. If you've been thinking about changing some things: this is your sign to do it now!! We can do it together and share too. Keep me in the loop if you do!
Blessings always.
xoxo
Will you come and be my chef? All your food looks so good! I have My Fitness Pal and have found it very helpful in the past. Now I need to kick it into gear again. Thanks for the inspiration and the tips!
ReplyDeleteHa! I'll be your chef anytime my dear Mari. I think you just need to put Bob to work more too. I've seen his talents. 😉 I really love that app - it's just accountability...it truly is key for me to stay on track. Blessings on your weekend! xo
DeleteWell done on taking control of your health goals. It sounds like you both have an encouraging and positive approach, and those dishes look amazing.
ReplyDeleteYour new kettle is gorgeous! Xx
Thanks Jules! We're working at it slowly and trying to be smart. We want a lifestyle change not a quick fix. :) I LOVE my kettle - feeding the Anglophile in me. 💗
DeleteThat kettle is so pretty! Seems just your style. My traditional banana bread recipe is actually called banana cake, LOL. It came from my husband's grandmother. Sometimes though the kids and I make Guatemalan banana bread (it's on food.com) that has only 1/2 cup sugar (think you could get away with less if you used super ripe bananas) and prefer it as it's not so sweet. G made it for a Spanish class back in high school. It might be a recipe you could play around with as well. Hope you have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jean! And thanks for the great tip!! I'll check that banana bread out. Blessings on your weekend. xo
DeleteYou are inspiring me with your wonderful, healthy recipes and commitment to your fitness goals, Carrie. Love that you and Matt are doing it together, too. I've been looking for remakes on my old faves like banana bread, too. Love all your creative add-ins. I made my first quinoa Asian salad a couple of weeks ago for my vegan DIL, and I was surprised how delicious it was.
ReplyDeleteYour tea-kettle is so pretty and love that Polish serving dish. My daughter has some of that pretty pottery that is from the Pike Place Market in Seattle. There's a whole shop there that sells it.
Hope you have a lovely week and Happy Birthday to your Auntie. Hugs x K
Thanks Karen! It's amazing once you start looking that there's so many wonderful healthier recipes and choices out there. I love Polish stoneware so much! I would love to shop in a whole store of it. :) One of my Aunt's has it for all of her dishes. So pretty. Blessings xoxo
DeleteThat sounds like such a lovely addition to your kitchen! The Laura Ashley print and the temp gauge make it both beautiful and practical. It’s amazing how something like a tea kettle can bring so much joy. Thanks for sharing the find—I might have to check it out on QVC myself! ☕🌸😊
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! A gorgeous electric tea kettle with a Laura Ashley print sounds like the perfect way to add some charm to your kitchen. The temp gauge is such a thoughtful touch too! It’s great when a simple item like this can bring so much joy. I’ll definitely have to check it out on QVC! ☕🌺✨
ReplyDeleteI agree with making things you like, if you feel deprived of taste it makes it harder to stick too. Almond flour really does make the taste of the deserts different that is for sure, you just know that texture. Hubby and I have been on the low carb for a year now the end of March and I have lost 40 pounds, I think why I am at a plateau right now is my exercise has gone down, so many things have been going on in our life that I haven't made that a priority, but I intend to get back at it. The yogurt thing is a neat idea, I have yogurt once a day in the evening too :)
ReplyDeleteOh, your new tea kettle is precious!! I love it! You and Matt are just killin' it with your health journey! I am proud of both of you! I will definitely have to give some of these a try.
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining me for the Friday Catch Up Carrie. You've got some lovely sounding recipes to help towards your goals. All the best on your journey together.
ReplyDeleteThat's such a beautiful Kettle, enjoy your tea x