Thursday, June 29, 2023

Lilac Treats

 


Hello Friends!

Did you know that all varieties of lilac are edible? 

I just love lilacs so much!! I think they are exactly what heaven smells like. Well that, plus my sugared pecans baking. Lol 

I was scrolling somewhere and read that all lilacs are edible. And then I further read how you can make sugar or simple syrup from them. So I decided to make some sugar for now. I'm still thinking of doing a simple syrup while I still have some lilacs blooming. 

Have you ever tasted something flavored with lavender? I have had a lavender martini. And cookies with lavender. I've also had a honey and lavender latte. All were so delish to me. Not too strong a taste - just a hint of a floral note with the other flavors. So I imagine making something with lilac will be similarly gentle for flavoring. I can tell you the sugar smells amazing!! Here's what I did:



I picked lilac blossoms off of the stem and washed them and put them in my salad spinner. 


then dried them some more on a paper towel




Then layered them in a jar. I read you take about 3/4 c. of sugar to 1/4 c. of lilacs. But I basically just layered a few tbsp of sugar in a jar...added a handful of blossoms, then layered more sugar, then more blossoms etc. Until I reached the top. Then I shake the jar up every day. Tomorrow it will be a week and I will strain out the blossoms and then use the sugar in my baking. You can use it as a 1:1 ratio substitute for your sugar in a recipe. 


Here's some ideas I'm looking at making. You can find them on my pinterest here.






Have you ever tried anything floral like this? Eaten anything with lavender, rose, lilac? Would you? 😉 

Have a wonderful weekend Friends! xo






6 comments:

  1. I love this!
    I have a friend who made forsythia and lilac jelly. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I'm excited to see what it's like to make something with them. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I didn't know lilac was edible. Funny to read this though because lilacs bloomed in early May here and the season is long gone! I have made lavender lemonade before by making a lavender syrup. I have a whole Pinterest section of lavender things I'd like to try making. Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! It's going to be fun to try it. ;) Yep, up here in the far north we're late bloomers. Lol! 😂

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious and looks so pretty in the preparation! I've had lavender cookies and nasturtiums in a salad, but didn't know you could eat lilac. Mine are done blooming, but I will try this next year! Happy 4th! hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I'm amazed I learned something about nature you didn't know. Lol I think of you as the expert! Happy 4th to you and yours too! xo

      Delete