Thursday, August 3, 2023

Two Recipes on a Thursday

 



Hello my Lovelies! Happy Thursday to you. It's been a hot one here in the northwoods, and we're not used to that! 90's yesterday and may hit that again today. Whew! 

I'm sitting in the wonderful a/c and thought I would share these 2 recipes with you. I've made both of them recently and both met with lots of praise. Plus, I think my friend Mandy asked about the blueberry hand pies after I posted a pic for HHM. So here are recipes for yummy slow cooker pork fajitas, and blueberry hand pies. 


First the fajitas:


This was a pretty simple and straightforward recipe. I didn't follow anything specific and just threw in what I wanted. I started with a 2&1/2 lb pork roast. It's going to slow cook - so feel free to get a cheaper cut of meat as it will get nice and tender. I love McCormick's fajita seasoning. So I used 1 & 1/2 packets of that. I started by putting in some salsa on the bottom of a sprayed slow cooker. I then sprinkled fajita seasoning all over the top of the salsa. I put the pork roast on top of the bed of salsa. I salted and peppered the roast. Then I sprinkled more fajita seasoning all over the top of the roast and kind of rubbed it on. I also added a little bit of taco seasoning I had. I poured more salsa over the top. And I think lime would be wonderful in this. But I had a half of an orange and half of a lemon in my produce drawer. So I squeezed both of them all over the top. I set it to low and let it cook all day (probably about 7 hours).  I shredded up the roast. When it was almost time to eat I sautéed about 1/2 an onion, and some sliced peppers in a skillet with avocado oil. I seasoned them with fajita seasoning too. Once they were starting to get tender (maybe 3-4 mins) I put them in the slow cooker with the all ready shredded roast and tossed it all together. I set it to warm and let it sit until it was time to eat. I liked doing it that way, as then the veggies didn't get too soft or mushy cooking all day in the slow cooker. We had ours on little soft warm tortillas with all the fixings on top. Matt said they were restaurant worthy! Lol







 Next up are the blueberry hand pies. I actually have a recipe posted for basic blueberry hand pies here.  And I just made them with store bought pillsbury pie crust. They couldn't be easier. However, with this batch I made a vanilla bean lemon glaze. And all that involved was taking 1&1/2 cups of powdered sugar. I added maybe a Tbsp of milk and then the zest and juice of a lemon. Do as much lemon to your taste. I also added about a little bit of vanilla extract that my gf had made me homemade. That's why it has all the vanilla bean flecks. But you could just add regular vanilla too.  I added little bits of those liquids and then increase if needed. If the glaze gets too thin - just add more powdered sugar again. Once you have the glaze the consistency and taste you like - just drizzle over the top of the cooled pies. I kept mine in the fridge and they were WONDERFUL! They didn't last long!

Can you see the vanilla bean flecks and lemon zest? 😋 


What is it about lemon and blueberry and how nicely they play together? 

I think these are both wonderful summer recipes, as a slow cooker recipe means no oven time. And summer is a time for blueberry anything in my opinion.  I hope you try them and enjoy! 😋 
xo


6 comments:

  1. Oooh! These both look so good and are something that would go over well here. Yes to blueberry and lemon together. I'm saving both recipes, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Mari! They both seemed to be big hits with all my people. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing the blueberry hand pie recipe! And the fajitas look amazing as well! Sounds really easy, too! I'm allll about some easy cooking! Haha! I'm sure that homemade vanilla is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share Mandy! And the fajitas are so easy and they tasted amazing. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  3. I so love fajitas so that sounds so delicious, That sounds like a good meal for having company over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! I definitely recommend the fajitas - they are easy and perfect for a crowd (& so yummy) ;)

      Delete