Thursday, May 21, 2015

Blueberry Hand Pies

This is one of my favorite ways to make a fast & simple, but delicious dessert. And maybe I love this dessert because fruit pies are probably my favorite treat (with ice cream is pure heaven). Some folks would go for the chocolate - but give me pastry with fruit and I'm a happy Girl!!




This recipe is also very versatile in that you could use your favorite homemade crust, or if you need to make dessert quickly you can just use the packaged crusts like I did.



Use a little flour and either roll out, our use your fingers to press out, the dough. Then cut it into 4 equal pieces. You could make smaller pies by using a biscuit cutter or glass to cut out circles too. This is much faster & easier and perfect for our family of 4. I used both crusts and made 8 pies (gave some to in-law's too).




Then fill the sections of crust with pie filling. Again, you could do homemade or ready made. For example you could make a favorite homemade filling (like sliced apples with a little bit of flour, sugar, and cinnamon), or be quick and use canned filling. Here I used canned blueberry. Center about 1 &1/2 Tbsp of filling into the crust then fold over one end to the other to seal.  Then use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges shut.






I like to brush my crust with a little bit of milk then sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon on top. I used some Ceylon cinnamon I had that has bit of citrus flavor to it - really good with the blueberry filling.  Then bake in a preheated 375* oven for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven. Just watch for them to get beautiful golden brown.



These are wonderful to take on a picnic for the summer because you could wrap them in some wax paper and pick them up and eat them easily - thus a hand pie!  Or do my favorite and eat like a piece of pie warmed up with some vanilla ice cream. Now that's my kind of summer dessert!








8 comments:

  1. Oh my, my son would *love* these! Filled with apple and blackberry filling....am going to make them for him tomorrow....he'll be so happy! And, of course, there'll be ice cream! Actually, I think I'm going to make them tiny, like you say, using a glass, and pop several around the edge of the plate of ice cream, with a bit of the fruit sauce over the top.....yum! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhhhh - yummy ideas Helen!! I'll see you this weekend. Lol

      Enjoy and hope you all have a lovely sweet weekend. xo

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more - pie over chocolate any day! In my family, we often serve birthday pie instead of cake!
    Just bought a ton of fresh blueberries on sale today. These would be a perfect Memorial Day Weekend treat! Thanks for the inspiration - I'll let you know if I end up making them and how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yummy! Fresh blueberries to make your own filling for this would be deeee-lightful!! If you do make them I know they'll be great. ;)

      Hope you have an absolutely wonderful holiday weekend dear Gal! xoxo

      Delete
  3. In England we traditionally eat fruit pies with custard, but ice cream or cream are also popular, but I think that your pies would need ice cream with them for the full American traditional pie experience!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Amen to that Amy. I don't know if there's a more American dessert than pie and ice cream! Lol

      Happy weekend sweet Gal!xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh, now they do look good! And I agree on the pastry front, I buy readymade more often than make it from scratch - most days it's every available short cut!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time it's just the way to go - and often can taste almost as good. I like to make homemade crust for the holidays though. ;)
      xo

      Delete