Thursday, February 5, 2026

Cooking Thursday: Holiday Shortbread

 


Hello dear Friends and Happy Fri-yay Eve! :) 

It's not quite as cold in the northwoods today and finally warmed up a bit into the 30's. We may get a little snow but I'll take that over being freezing all the time. 

My home smells so good right now! I felt like baking this AM and I had bananas to use, and instead of making my usual banana bread I wanted to make something different. And a bit healthier. So I made banana oat muffins. They turned out so yummy and I will share that recipe next week. 


But today I wanted to share this recipe so I can put it in my recipe tab for future reference...as I forgot to share this recipe and add it back in December. It's for a holiday shortbread that turned out so well and was so delicious that I may make some next year as gifts for folks. 




I had always wanted a shortbread mold and my Aaron got me one for Mother's Day or my birthday (I forget when?). And back in later December I decided to try it out on this holiday shortbread. I had made regular shortbread several times. And even this lilac shortbread a few years ago. But when I came across this buttery citrus version that was so Christmasy...I had to give it a go. I found that recipe at a site called entertainingwithbeth.com 





So I made up the dough as directed and when ready to bake I put it into the mold. It baked up and turned out great! 






Matt and I had ours with small mugs of homemade stovetop cocoa. As this was when we were still indulging. 😋 I had followed a fun tip I found that said to make or spray little mounds of whipped cream with sprinkles on top of parchment paper and place in the freezer for about 1/2 an hour to an hour. They were perfect to put in the hot cocoa and slowly dissolve. I recommend that tip for your next holiday fun. 

We topped our shortbread cookies with a little bit of berry jelly, as whenever I make shortbread my kids always liked it topped with jam - so I've gotten used to that. Lol I bet a homemade cranberry or raspberry kind of jam would be amazing! 






They were so buttery and that orange zest really came through and gave them that holiday vibe. You don't need a mold to make them. You could do them in an 8x8 pan too. I think they would make a fun Valentines treat too and enjoy them with some tea. Maybe even give as a Galentines gift along with some tea. 💗 

Here's the recipe:



If you're still freezing and dealing with snow in your world - stay cozy! If you try this recipe I hope you enjoy. 

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. This looks magazine worthy! I love the photo with the gingerbread and your pretty cups. I also love, love, love your shortbread mold. I think I need one now! :)
    It's snowing and cold here again, 21 degrees. But that's much better than last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a big time love for shortbread. I buy those Scottish Shortbreads all the time called the Walkers. I need to try to make this from scratch! I love your mold!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often wondered how well those molds worked - yours is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow that is a pretty mold, and it does sound good for Christmas time. Now you have me wanting some hot cocoa :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! Shortbread is one of my favourites, and the mold pattern makes it look so pretty. It's been bitterly cold here and the wind has been howling. Still struggling here, but I'm feeling hopeful.
    Have a lovely weekend, Carrie. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I have never made in a pan but how perfect and I know delicious!

    ReplyDelete