We've come to that cozy time of year. When all the leaves are on the ground. There's frost (or sometimes snow) in the mornings. The world already feels still and slower - hibernation time. The neighbor's wood stove is going all the time now and always smells heavenly on the crisp air. Matt and I love to do late day walks and when we work our way home the sun is setting or already down and the lights are on in neighbors' windows. Some already have Christmas trees twinkling in the windows, and at our house candles already glowing from all the front windows. We come home and snuggle under a big soft blanket to watch shows. Sometimes I sip hot tea if I'm still cold. Yep, awfully cozy these days.
The past couple of days there's been the smell of pies baking, cranberries popping and roasting turkey thighs in the oven. It's still my favorite tip to pick up and put butter and herbs on and roast some kind of turkey parts (thighs, wings) in the oven til done. Then put them in a slow cooker with water, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, poultry seasoning and sage filled to the brim with water. Then let cook on low overnight or all day. When done strain everything out and you're left with 12 cups of liquid gold (turkey bone broth) that you can use in all of your Thanksgiving dishes (dressing, make ahead homemade gravy etc) And what's leftover goes into turkey noodle soup for leftovers.
On the list today pumpkin pie, make ahead mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy. I think Thanksgiving must be some of the best smells there are in this world! I'm writing up some fun trivia, jokes and quotes to be read by my loved ones tomorrow and spark fun conversations. Parade watching in the morning will lead to setting the table and getting ready for us all to gather. The best! (and football thrown in of course - Go Pack Go!) It will all lead to good napping that Ruby and Bubbs are demonstrating for you. ๐
I hope however you celebrate that you have a very safe, blessed, happy and yummy Thanksgiving. Know I am thankful for YOU!!
๐ ๐ฆ ๐งก






Yes, it's cozy time for sure! Nothing like snuggling under a soft, warm blanket!
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving to you and Matt, Aaron and Annie!
Hope you enjoyed a great day, with all the goodies you had I bet everything was so tasty. Yes it is getting cold here too now. We have a chance of our first snowflakes tomorrow morning, shouldn't stick they say, but still waking up to 27 this morning was a bit too cold for me :)
ReplyDeleteYou have a great way with words I can just imagine your lovely walks!