Thursday, August 1, 2024

Kitchen Sink Chicken Salad

 

Hello Friends - from my kitchen to yours! 

It's feeling like cozy kitchen time because it's been gray and rainy all morning. I never mind those once in awhile. We've needed the rain in our dry yard and I never mind an excuse to feel cozy. 😁💕 I'm going to be baking up banana bread this afternoon because I have some bananas to use up. It's somewhat of a staple around here that I feel I bake up monthly if not more often. 


But I've shared my banana bread before, and today I'm here to talk about chicken salad. Well actually, I wanted to talk about how good recipes tend to be where you're trying to clear out the fridge. Do you know what I mean? The ones where necessity is the mother of invention so to speak?  When items are getting old in there and you need to use them up, so you throw them into whatever you're making - and sometimes they turn out to be the yummiest intentional accidents. 😋


Well the other day I did that with chicken salad and it ended up being so yummy! I had some celery and carrots I needed to use up. And some cherries too. I already had rotisserie chicken I was going to use to make a basic chicken salad - but I threw those veggies & cherries in with it. And then I decided to dice up some apple too because I knew it would play nice with the cherries. I just took some avocado mayo (healthier fats) and added in some seasoned salt, pepper & paprika (I like to add paprika in chicken dishes)




So I blended that dressing with the chicken salad I had tossed together. Added in some sunflower seeds...cuz why not? And chilled it a bit to meld the flavors. It turned into the absolute yummiest chicken salad and bonus is those things in the fridge didn't go to waste. 



Instead of having a big sandwich I had my salad on a some healthy crackers. Does anyone else like to eat their chicken salad on crackers or is that just a me thing? 😋 




So I guess the moral of the story is don't be afraid to make "kitchen sink" anything and throw those things you need to use in whatever you're making. It may become your favorite way yet! 


Enjoy! 
And don't mind us. We're just gonna be over here napping and soaking up a cozy day. 💗



4 comments:

  1. Making chicken salad with leftover rotisserie chicken is actually next on my list. I'm going to try adding seasonsed salt and pepper to the mayo I use Olive oil mayo. I have some almonds with cranberries I'm throwing in too and will have to check out my frig like you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! The chicken salad you're planning sounds awesome! I like the olive oil mayo too. Any of those healthy fats are good! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, that sounds super yummy! And yes, I love crackers with my chicken salad! Actually prefer crackers to bread. Great way to make use of things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one thing I have never been good at is throwing things together and they working out, my hubby on the other hand isn't too bad with doing that :)

    ReplyDelete