Thursday, July 24, 2025

Cooking Thursday: Cherry Oreo Icebox Cake

 


Hello Beautiful Besties!

How is Thursday treating you so far? Wonderfully I hope 💗


We checked on the robin babies yesterday and they had "flown the coop" so to speak. :) It's been fun watching their little journey from nest building, to sweet blue eggs, to little hatchlings, to watching a chick hop around in the driveway with mom or dad still close by seeming to guide them. 

And it's been Bubba's favorite show watching mom and dad flying back in forth to the nest by our door. He has often been perched in the kitchen window for hours! Lol 


In other news, our little garden box and pots have been thriving. Last night I grabbed a few strawberries for us to nibble, as well as one of our fennel bulbs and some fresh herbs. I put some broccoli, red potatoes, fennel, and onion on a sheet pan with some olive oil and seasonings - as well as the fresh herbs from the garden and some fennel fronds. I roasted it all about 35 minutes at 425* then took it out of the oven and sprinkled on some fresh chives from the garden, a drizzle of balsamic and a sprinkle of parm. What a yummy side dish to go with our chicken! 



**Also, earlier this week I made us some Italian grinder sliders that were phenomenal! Matt said he thinks they are his new favorite sandwich ever. I will share those next time. 😉



But today I wanted to share a dessert I made when Matt's folks were here visiting. It's a quick and easy icebox cake with a favorite flavor combo of cherries and chocolate. The chocolate coming from oreo cookies and the cherry from easy cherry pie filling. It was a tasty creamy, fluffy, chocolatey-cherry, cold summer dessert. 😋


This dessert is made by mixing cream cheese with a little sugar and almond extract & some cherry pie filling, and then folding in cool whip. Doing layers of this cherry "fluff" with layers of oreos that have been dunked in milk first. Then ending with the last of the cool whip as a sort of frosting. Then put it in the fridge to get nice and chilled...at least 6 hours. When I served the pieces I put a little more cherry pie filling on top and some oreo cookie crumbs...or a whole cookie on top. This "cake" was a hit! And it's so easy and perfect for summer. This recipe can be found on my pinterest board "sweet treats" which you can find by clicking here. But I'll also post the recipe below.












look at those yummy layers :) 










it was very yummy!! Enjoy! 
xoxo
















9 comments:

  1. I saved this one - it's got Bob's name all over it!
    You have lots of yummy stuff on your pinterest board!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little birdies seem to be ready to leave the nest so quickly...they have things to do and places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your food all looks delicious! I love the color of a robin's egg. I have found the nests somewhere around here every year for a long time. They are loyal neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Carrie! I'm here (finally!) catching up on blogs! This dessert looks delicious and right up our street! Will be sure to try it! I hope you are staying cool and having a nice summer. It's been busy for me with my Dad but things are starting to slow down now and we are getting back to a "normal" routine : ) I'll be in touch and see you on IG! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Danielle! You'd been on my mind and I hoped your Dad was doing well. :) Summer does get crazy - I sure know how that goes. Blessings to you all. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Ohhh my gosh! That looks so delicious! My son would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, so sad they flown the coop, our cats will sit at the window and watch the birds like they are watching tv.
    The dessert looks great, too bad we can't have that. Hubby can have sweet potatoes every once in awhile so we could make the shhet pan of goodies though :) Hope you enjoyed a nice weekend, I am trying to catch up with everyone, got a bit behind again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie - love your visits whenever it works for you. :) For this dessert you could probably use sugar free pie filling and monk fruit sweetener - but not sure about how you'd do the oreo part? Not sure they make sugar free? Maybe a different kind of sugar free cookie. Either way - blessings my Friend. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Oh my! That dessert looks heavenly. Xx

    ReplyDelete