Friday, July 3, 2026

Cooking Thursday (on a Friday): Date Treats & Happy Independence Day!

 


Hello Friends!

Happy Friday to you. I was busy with a few things yesterday - including making some meals and goodies to bring my Mom & step Dad. By the way, thank you so much for your kind words and prayers for them. My Mom said the meds are helping her shingles and she's doing well overall.

So that's why I didn't get here for Cooking Thursday but I'm doing it today. Also, Happy July to you!


I'm not sure when that snuck in here because it feels like it was just May. But such is the speed of time these days I swear. It has definitely been feeling like July here. The last couple days have been close to 90* F! Hot stuff ☀️ 

It was a nice evening once it cooled off last night so Matt, Annie & I went out for sushi for dinner and then got in some mini golf. The summer is so fleeting here that it feels wonderful sneaking in fun summery things even on the week days. 


Today I thought I'd share more about the dates I had made and brought for our weekend at the lake. Matt's folks have been trying to be better about their diet and so instead of bringing bars, pie or really naughty treats I brought those dates. They still give a richness and candy bar like fix - but they are less calories and at the base of them a date...which also adds fiber. 

They are pretty self explanatory. I bought a box of medjool dates from Costco. These were nice as they were pitted. But otherwise, just cut them open and scoop out the pit. Take a litte teaspoon and fill with your filling of choice. Top with a dollop of melted chocolate (semi sweet chocolate chips I microwaved until they were melted and stirred until smooth). And sprinkle a little sea salt on top. Chill and then dig in. 

For the dates in the photo above I placed a piece of walnut inside and then stuffed with a tsp scoop of peanut butter. You could put whatever nut you like or just do peanut butter. Once the dates were done I put them in the fridge to chill and set up. And I kept them in a container in the fridge. 


And feel free to get creative with how you want to make them. I have also made Dubai chocolate dates:


I picked up this pistachio cream with bits of kadayifi in it (shredded up crunchy phyllo dough bits) and then filled the dates with that. Then topped with the melted chocolate and sea salt just like the other ones. Just like a Dubai chocolate bar. So good! 


I think next I'm going to fill them with marshmallow cream or fluff and a little piece of graham cracker and then the chocolate topping to make a s'mores version. Just have fun and get creative with them! They are nice little bits to have in the fridge and so easy to grab for a very satisfying treat. To make them even healthier you could use Lily's chocolate chips which don't have added sugar and use plant based sweeteners. I just couldn't find them the last time I was at the store. 

Have you ever made or tried these? We really like them and hope you do too if you give them a try. 



And for those in the States that will be celebrating July 4th this weekend - I hope you have a very fun and safe one! For those who don't live in the states this will be a weekend of parades, picnics, BBQ's, sparklers & fireworks, and often time in or on the lake/beach (weather permitting). All to celebrate our Independence Day. And this year is extra big as it's our country's 250th birthday! Otherwise known as the Semiquincentennial (say that 5 times fast πŸ˜‚)

So I thought I'd share a little vintage July 4th inspiration. 
No matter where you are in the world I hope you have a very blessed weekend ahead.












For the weekend I made these July 4th strawberries with white chocolate bark and some blue sugar. 



 Bubba & Ruby wish you a Happy 4th too! 

 πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ❤️πŸ’™



6 comments:

  1. The dates look yummy!
    Happy 4th! I like the vintage pics. Hope you and Matt and the rest of the family have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning dear Carrie! So glad your mom is doing better. You're such a good daughter to making them meals and taking such good care of them. Those dates look super yummy! You had me at chocolate and pistachio! And I know what you mean - I CANNOT believe this year is already more than half over!! Have a safe and blessed Independence weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Both treats looks so good. I love dates. I would love that treat. I love how you used something other than peanut butter. That filling sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 4th July. Love all the nostalgic pics and your strawberries are so pretty. Thank you for the recipe, which I have already copied down. It looks like fun to make in different variations. Have a great weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those do sound yummy for sure, the peanut butter, nuts and chocolate with them sounds good. Your strawberries are so cute, great patriotic treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those dates look amazing! I'll definitely be making some of those in the not too distant future :)
    Happy 4th, Carrie! To you and your beautiful family. Xx

    ReplyDelete