Thursday, November 16, 2023

Let's Talk Thanksgiving Recipes

 

Hello Friends!

For my U.S. friends - happy week before Thanksgiving 🦃 





I have been working on my menu and my lists. Matt and I actually did a grocery run the other day and we not only picked up the groceries we needed for the week, but also some pre-Thanksgiving groceries too. That way I will only need to get the fresh stuff early next week. 😊 


I thought today I would do a post based on all things Thanksgiving recipes.  One of my favorite cooks that I follow for several of my recipes on Thanksgiving is Ree Drummond...aka, the Pioneer Woman. 

I do her recipes for:

Make ahead mashed potatoes you can find here.





Her perfect pie crust recipe you can find here.


And I use those crusts for the pumpkin and pecan pies I make. I also use her recipe for:


Pecan pie which you can find here.




This is my Mom's favorite pie in the whole world (thanks Ree!) The Pioneer Woman also has great recipes for doing a turkey, stuffing, gravy and homemade cranberries and more. You truly can't go wrong following her in my opinion.

 

The pumpkin pie recipe I use - that is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is found here.  It's so creamy and rich in the best ways -and it's unique in that it adds Chinese 5 spice along with the other warm seasonings. I cannot recommend it enough if you're a pumpkin pie fan! 





I was wondering if you have a unique recipe you make for Thanksgiving? Like many people have turkey, potatoes, stuffing, cranberry, sweet potato, green bean casserole and various kinds of pies etc

 A unique one that I make is  broccoli salad instead of green bean casserole). It was one that my Gram often made and I love it (a lot more than green bean  casserole - no offense to anyone that loves that). 

And it's a simple recipe of a big bowl of chopped fresh broccoli tossed in a homemade mayo kind of dressing (sugar, vinegar etc) that sits overnight to soften the broccoli a bit. And the day I serve I add raisins, chopped red onion and chopped crispy bacon. It's so yummy because it's crunchy, sweet and salty. Mmmmm







I found this fun appetizer on pinterest and I think one year I'm going to make it as a fun snack when everyone is hanging out before we eat. It's for this yummy looking apple cider cheese fondue you can find here.





I love pinterest and I recommend it if you're looking for any kinds of recipes. There are so many wonderful Fall ones! You can find several under my board "my favorites season" on there. One recipe pinned on that board that I do think I'm going to add this year - is this yummy sounding bread. I think I'll bake it in my cute new loaf pan with pumpkin shapes on the top. 😊 I'm just such a sucker for fun kitchen things like that. Lol Anyways, the recipe is for a butterscotch pumpkin bread that you can find here.







I hope maybe you found a few fun new keeper recipe by sharing a bit here. Or maybe this helped inspire you for what you're going to make this year? However, I truly believe it's not even the menu that makes the day (although I think it sure is yummy) - but that it's about the loved ones you gather with and share together. And about counting our blessings and having thankful hearts. Especially when many suffer or go without. 
I sure hope however you celebrate, that it will be safe, healthy, fun and yummy!!! 😋 
xoxo









2 comments:

  1. Yum! Those are some good looking recipes.
    I make those mashed potatoes and everyone raves about them. The extended family always wants me to bring the potatoes and I've told them it's the Pioneer Woman recipe!
    I cheat on pie crusts... shhhh!
    I'll have to try that pie and bread, sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone must love coming to your home for Thanksgiving, Carrie! Everything sounds delicious! The broccoli salad really sounds good. I love Ree's recipes - I have 2 of her cookbooks and get the magazine. I watched her cooking show, too. My little grandson has a crush on her - isn't that cute? The fondue recipe sounds yummy. The one thing I make on Thanksgiving that might be unique are glazed onions. It's hard to find the little onions, though, so some years I can't make them. This year I am going to my son's house for a brunch and then the whole family is getting together on Saturday at my daughter's. I am baking my 'famous' apple pie for both. Lol! Hope you have a wonderful day with your family. Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete