Thursday, December 11, 2025

Cooking Thursday: Turkey Noodle Soup (& a few Holiday Treat Gift Ideas)

 

Hello my dear and wonderful Friends!

Yay for almost the weekend ahead to get more Christmas preparations done. I've been doing some baking and making this week. I've got candles glowing in the kitchen as I work and it looks snowy and lovely outside.  I've been working on some things to freeze and some for gifts to give soon. I'll share more about some holiday ideas in a minute. 


But first I thought I would share the recipe for how I make my yearly turkey noodle soup after Thanksgiving. It's always so comforting and yummy and a great side to a perfect leftover turkey sandwich! 😋


I had shared how I make a homemade turkey stock or bone broth several days before Thanksgiving. You can read more about that from an old post here. And I use that stock to make my soup. I didn't think to take a pic of the soup but here is the recipe I created for how I make it. 



TURKEY NOODLE SOUP

Ingredients:
Whatever leftover chopped turkey you'd like to throw in(dark meat is good here)
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
splash of olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
 2 Tbsp flour 
6 c. turkey stock
salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbsp cooking sherry
1/2 c. heavy cream 
1-2 c. noodles of choice (I use wide Amish noodles)

Directions:
In a large pot saute the onion, carrots and onion in the butter and a splash of olive oil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir another minute. Add the flour and cook it out stirring continuously another few minutes. Then pour in the stock and bring to light boil. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the noodles and cook according to time on package directions. When only a few minutes left on the time for the noodles add your chopped turkey. When noodles are done turn to low (or remove from heat if really hot). Stir in sherry and cream and cook a few minutes more until they are blended and warm with soup. Enjoy!




I also thought I'd share some of the treats I'm making as various gifts (or together in gift baskets) for friends and family. I've been making a few other things I'll share another time including mini loaves of cranberry orange bread, fudge, and potpourri simmer pots with dried fruit. But today I thought I'd share sugared pecans (I like to make and put in festive tins) and oyster ranch crackers. I can attest to both as being very tasty and enjoyed by those who have tried them.

 

SUGARED PECANS



I have been making these sugared pecans for many years and they are based on a recipe I found in an old Mary Engelbreit magazine from many years ago. I found a recipe here. But I make them with only 1/4 c. of butter and 3&1/2 to 4 c. of pecans. I like the texture better. I find neat old tins in antique or thrift stores or find deals on new ones and use them to give these as gifts. They stay good for a few weeks if sealed well. I often put them in a sealed baggie and then wrap that in pretty tissue paper before putting in a tissue lined tin. 



RANCH OYSTER CRACKERS






And how you can you go wrong by taking melted butter and adding ranch seasoning and yummy herbs and seasonings. Tossing oyster crackers in it and baking them. They're very addicting - you've been warned! I use Pioneer Woman's recipe here. These could be put in festive little baggies and put in a gift bag, or even cute little jars for gift giving. 

 
Merry Christmas season to you and I hope your kitchen stays cozy and  is filled with the wonderful aromas of love baking away. 
 I wish for you days filled with peace and joy. 
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I'm making a chicken soup this weekend that is almost the same, mine doesn't have sherry but now I'm going to add it. Your ranch crackers look so good too, and nice because there are so many sweets around this time of year. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sound so delicious, Carrie. I won't be hosting anyone this year, but I'm still looking forward to getting into the kitchen to bake some goodies. I'll just have to hold myself back from eating too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a candied pecan and need to make some this season! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby picked out a spice cake to have for Christmas, so that will probably be the only thing I make for us.

    ReplyDelete