Thursday, May 15, 2025

Spring Veggie Soup with Homemade Turkey (or chicken) Meatballs

 



Hi Friends! 

Happy Thursday to you. It's a chilly foggy one here in the northwoods. And looks like rain may be on the way later. So it's the perfect day to think and talk about soup! Lol 

Are you like me, and even in the summer if it's a chilly or rainy day - you still crave cozy? Like baking something or making soup. Well then this soup is for you! I made this just a few weeks ago and it was so good and will definitely be on the menu throughout the year. It was pretty easy and so very tasty. It's a recipe I found at the site Epicurious and you can get to it if you click here.

It's called Spring minestrone soup on their site. And they made theirs with chicken meatballs. I only found ground turkey at that particular time at the grocery store - so that's what I used. Still turned out great! They're so tasty because you add garlic & chives and parm to the meatballs. 

Their recipe also called for making the meatballs and browning them in a skillet on the stove. I took a different route and made the meatballs as directed, but used my little cookie making scooper and and scooped the balls onto a cookie sheet and baked them at 400* for 15-20 mins to brown them. You will later throw them in the soup to finish cooking all the way through. 


The recipe calls for cooking up some leeks and garlic. Then adding in chicken broth and carrots and ditalini pasta. I used ring pasta as I didn't have ditalini (I think any small pasta is great). Then cook until things get tender - add in your browned meatballs and cook some more. Then wilt in some spinach and cook a bit longer. 










When it's ready dish up the soup and top with some fresh basil and some parmesan cheese.

Here's the recipe if you want to give it try:



6 ounces ground chicken (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
6 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, divided, plus more for garnish
4 garlic cloves, 2 minced, 2 thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 large egg, whisked to blend
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, sliced into 1/4" rounds
5 cups low-salt chicken broth
3/4 cup ditalini or other small pasta
1 cup 1/2" rounds peeled carrots
1 cup (packed) baby spinach
Chopped fresh basil

  1. Step 1

    Mix chicken, breadcrumbs, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, 2 minced garlic cloves, chives, egg, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Form into 1/2"-diameter meatballs (makes about 28).

    Step 2

    Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat. Cook meatballs until golden all over, about 3 minutes (they will finish cooking in soup). Transfer to a plate; set aside.

    Step 3

    Add leek to pot and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves; cook for 1 minute. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta and carrots; simmer until pasta is almost al dente, about 8 minutes. Add meatballs; simmer until pasta is al dente, carrots are tender, and meatballs are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add spinach and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan; stir until spinach is wilted and Parmesan is melted. Season with salt and pepper.

    Step 4

    Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped basil and Parmesan.



This soup was amazing, comforting, and so flavorful. Yet it's healthy and easy to prepare. Another winner in our book! 
Enjoy 😋
xoxo






6 comments:

  1. It's been hot and sunny here, but severe storms are predicted this evening.
    I just mad vegetable soup Monday. This looks really good - light and perfect for Spring. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved this soup Mari! It will definitely be on repeat. Hope you're getting some lovely weather ahead. 💗

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! It's funny you should say that, as I enjoyed soup for my lunch just yesterday. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules! It was so tasty and I knew you were a soup lover like us. I think you'd really enjoy it 💗

      Delete
  3. I know I am weird but I don't really care for soup, so when hubby wants some he buys it in a can because I just don't care to make a whole bunch up. I did find a small recipe for him but he told me it was fine for him to just buy them, but since he has been on a low carb diet he hasn't had much anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that Connie. I know many people that just aren't soup people. It does seem to be more something you like or don't. There are some really good soup mixes in the soup aisle too that are really easy and taste more like homemade. I think the brand might be Bear Creek (or something like that?) and all you do is boil water and whisk the mix in. They're really good and might want to check out for your hubby. 💗

      Delete