Thursday, March 14, 2024

Chocolate & Butterscotch Chip Bars

 


Hello Folks!

Just popping in to say hi and share probably the number 1 dessert I make on the most regular basis (next to banana bread). My kiddos love chocolate chip anything. And I long ago memorized the back of the nestle toll house chocolate chip package for their cookies. I think they are the best! My MIL (who now rests in love and the arms of the angels) was known for her cookies. And she basically made the same recipe...but always did more brown sugar to white and put in extra chocolate chips. So I have been doing mine the exact same way for years. 



But at some point when my kiddos were younger - I decided not to make cookies with the recipe and to make the bar variation instead. Probably because I was too lazy to want to wash all those cookie sheets.


 So I made them in a jelly roll (15x10) pan. Or sometimes in a basic 9x13 pan for thicker ones. And they LOVED them this way. However, I often don't like having that amount of goodies around with fewer of us in the household. And also as we are working to be healthier and more fit (I'm 9 lbs down so far!) So I changed it to make half the normal recipe and I bake them in an 8x8 pan or a 9 inch pie plate... which makes it like one giant cookie. Here's what you do:


cream your sugars with butter



add an egg



add in some vanilla (if you have homemade as a gift from your gf with real vanilla bean, even better💗)



mix up your dry ingredients and incorporate into wet in your mixing bowl




This is the best part. Instead of just chocolate chips - get out your butterscotch chips too!




add in your chips 



remember extra chocolate chips but shhh don't tell anyone that's the secret. 


and the best ingredient of all...a Momma's love 💕




Then put into your pie plate (or other pan)





and bake until it's golden brown like this





Now please don't be mad if I'm making you hungry for something naughty. Besides, I heard that anything you bake with love - the calories don't count. 





Look at those crispy yet, chewy edges. Yum! If you don't have the nestle package handy here's the recipe. Remember for this I cut the recipe in half:






(I don't add nuts, as my kiddos don't like them in there)




Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.

Step 2

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Spread into prepared pan.

Step 3

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.






Again, 1/2  all of the above ingredients if you're going to make them in a smaller pan or pie plate. If you really want to be extra - eat right away...or heat your piece in the microwave 20 seconds to get warm and gooey and put a scoop of ice cream on top. Yummy!!! 


Blessings to you Friends.
Enjoy!
xoxo




5 comments:

  1. I make those cookies quite often, but I love your idea of making them as pan cookies! That would save a lot of time. And adding butterscotch chops is a great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! So much faster and easier than cookies and my kiddos like them even better. Butterscotch definitely gives it a that bit of "extra" 😉

      Delete
  2. Ohhh! You know, I never have made those cookies, but now I am so tempted, and I sure don't need them! LOL! But I love those thick cookie bars and cookie cakes and this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy! If you host something - or have others you can gift some too - then absolutely worth making! Otherwise, I'm like you and would eat too many too! Lol That's why I half the recipe too. Definitely helps making a small pan. 😉💕

      Delete