Thursday, May 19, 2016

Cherie's Toffee Bars

Hello my Friends!  


Hope you're having a great week so far.  Life here feels very busy! So I'm sorry if I haven't been by recently- still playing blog catch up and I should be able to spend more time this weekend. Also, that's why I'm late posting today. Lots of end of year school things for my kiddos, still helping with the in-law's however I'm able, helping my Mom with new puppy time and getting ready for belated bday festivities for Annie this weekend. 


I forgot that Annie is doing her birthday party with her friends this weekend, and belated with my Dad and step Mom and some family friends. So I'm making a cake for her and thus I didn't make my MIL's toffee bars. However, I thought I'd just share the recipe with you today anyway...even though I won't have photos of the bars themselves. They've always been a favorite and they are SO easy and so yummy! Since I don't have pics of the bars I thought I'd share some of these sweet scrapbook photos and baking layout I did of Annie and my MIL  a while ago.







I love doing baking kind of layouts for scrapbooking. It's so fun to capture photos of what's being cooked or baked and there's always such fun papers and stickers to find to go with it. My MIL was always a fabulous baker and it was a hobby she enjoyed. In these photos Annie was helping my MIL make "monster cookies" (over sized) for an animal organization where she volunteered back when.




Grandma's sweet helper.



Time out for a book break. Grandma was the best reader too!





These photos go straight to my heart as my MIL was always such a wonderful Grandma to her grandkids. She was always so patient and fun and now she doesn't even know who they are anymore. So sad...especially for them being stripped of so much time with her.  I love being able to look back at these pictures and memories, though, and really see the terrific Lady of the past. It helps me remember what she was really like - and it's a wonderful tool for the kiddos to remember her as well. We have family videos too - precious treasures now.



Thanks for going down memory lane with me.  Here's the recipe from my MIL for her yummy toffee bars  -and I especially love that they're in her handwriting and from a memo pad she had with a dog on it. The organization she volunteered for was called PAWS and helped with animals and she was always such an animal lover. Especially of dogs. 




These bars are wonderful for a crowd because it makes a good sized pan and you can cut them into small squares. Really good with coffee or tea too! Enjoy - from my MIL's home to yours. ;) 



12 comments:

  1. Oh how I LOVE toffee bars! Thanks for sharing.
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that layout with the photos of your MIL. Having those pictures is especially poignant now with her poor health. Thanks for the recipe too. They sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good - especially for how easy they are Mari. ;)

      I love seeing her handwriting and photos like this that remind of who she really is if she didn't have this awful disease. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Mmmm, delicious, and thank you for the sweet trip down memory lane. How wonderful you have all those precious photos of MIL and Annie. So special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish. Photos like this, and bits with her handwriting like that, are such precious treasures now. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. It must be bittersweet to look back and remember the woman she was, and know who she is now. Such a horrible, sad disease!

    Enjoy your birthday celebrations Carrie!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so is Doreen!! It's hard to remember what she really should be right now...yet there's such comfort in those photos and seeing her handwriting and just "remembering".

      xoox

      Delete
  5. There is so much to love in this post!! The pics of grandma and granddaughter baking, the volunteering for PAWS!! And you know I absolutely LOVE the notepad she used for this recipe. She’s my kind of baker, using the whole egg instead of separating the yolk, not sifting her flour, I laughed when I saw the (I don’t sift) LOL…yeah me either :) This has definitely made me want to makes these, they are sooo good. We used to use Hershey bars on the top of ours, but that was back when Hershey bars were like 25 cents, LOL.

    It’s been a busy, busy week over here for me too, but I had to take a moment and comment on this post, it made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so sweet - I just love how you LOVED this post my Carrie-girl! I love those little extra notes from her too - and the little heart she made at the end. ;)

      They are such good bars! And she was always a true "down home" kind of baker and made the yummiest things.

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I love the way you captured those sweet moments! And that recipe looks and sounds delicious. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather!! Hope you're having a great week. ;) xoxo

      Delete