Thursday, May 5, 2016

Easy Homemade Salsa

Hello All!

Sorry I'm late posting today but things have been busy. I'm sorry to say that my Mother-in-law has been getting worse and my FIL is having a harder time getting her to eat. She also had a bad fall today. My FIL is finally been open to discussing the need for her to go to a facility. So we are in the process of working on these things together as a family. I'm planning to continue posting - but next week may get difficult and I made need to take a little break from blogging. I will keep you posted on things, but for now business as usual. Appreciate any prayers you would like to send our way though!! You're such wonderful friends to me and I swear I feel those thoughts and prayers and they mean so much.


Now, can I just take a moment and share with you my love for salsa? It's just one of those wonderfully yummy things in life. I definitely tend to be a more savory person (my hubby likes sweets) and my weakness is chips, popcorn, nuts, cheesy things etc. And a favorite among those is chips and salsa together.  I especially love those crispy tortilla chips and yummy salsa in Mexican restaurants!  



I had been looking around on pinterest for different salsa recipes and I pinned this one recently and thought I'd give it a try. I like that it reminds me of the kind you get in a Mexican restaurant. I also was thinking about trying to make more of an effort to make the recipes I find off pinterest and then sharing them here with you - and an honest review of that recipe. So more of my cooking Thursday moments may be just that. Trying out new recipes from pinterest, and even some of my cookbooks, and letting you know how they went. For this recipe it was quite easy - and again so tasty so I would definitely recommend it. 



I just threw all of the ingredients in my food processor and then blended it up until it was the consistency I liked (nice and finely chopped up and more liquid to it - like in the restaurants). Plus, the fresh taste is so much better than the jar.   Here's the recipe from the blog The Chunky Chef:



  • one 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes, including juice
  • 1 small white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 or 2 jalepeno peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoons salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 to 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste
  • 1 or 2 handfuls cilantro leaves (I prefer 2)
  • about 3 tablespoons lime juice
  1. Add all ingredients to food processor in the order listed. Pulse a few times to break up the large pieces, then process until texture is as smooth as desired.
  2. Taste the salsa and based on personal preference, adjust as necessary.
  3. Transfer to airtight container and let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or 1 day for best flavor.
  4. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!

You can also find this recipe on my pinterest board labeled "appetizers" and can find that here.



It takes minutes to make then dig in like I did! It's really good after it's chilled a while in the fridge. I put mine in a refrigerated container and it remained fresh for several days. 


Enjoy and Happy Cinco de Mayo!! 



16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. She is blessed to have such a supportive family, but I know it's so hard. You are all in my prayers.
    The salsa looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari!! It means so much xoxo

      Delete
  2. Prayers, my friend.
    I know firsthand how hard that decision is.
    It was right here in my house that my mother tearfully admitted she could not give her beloved husband the best care and quality of life possible. It was then I picked up the phone. And you know, as my sweet daddy progressed deeper into that world of the unknown... Dementia...we realized that was where he belonged.
    That said...it is not any easier for the loved ones. It is hard.
    I looked at it this way...When I was young and unable to make decisions that were the best for me and my well being, my dad made them for me. And then, when he was old and unable to make decisions that were the best for him...I could make them for him.
    Love and prayers, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so beautifully stated Billie Jo. You bring tears to my eyes - and you bring such comfort. Thank you for sharing of yourself that way. It means so much to me and it helps beyond words. I'm giving you a virtual hug.
      Blessings my Friend. xoxo

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your MIL my dear friend. Praying for your whole family, I know these are hard decisions to make…sending prayers and hugs!! xxx

    The salsa looks good, not a salsa person, but can’t say that I have ever tried it, I probably should, lol My neighbor used to make it home made too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my CareBear! Prayers have such power and the support means so much and truly helps!!

      You HAVE to try salsa!! Salsa and chips one of the best snacks out there. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Homemade salsa looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your MIL. You have worked so hard to care for her and make her life meaningful, and it is difficult when this time comes. Thoughts and prayers go with you, as you progress through a difficult time. I hope she settles in well, and you all adjust easily to the new routine once it is established. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Trish!! It means the world to me to have such support from my blogland family. It provides such comfort and truly helps.
      Blessings. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Dear Carrie,
    Praying for your family. I love what Billie Jo wrote!
    Thanks for the recipe, I like savory too! I may leave out the peppers. I can't take the heat.
    Extra Hugs,
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Margot!! It's been really emotional and difficult - but we all knew we would get to this point eventually. I love what Billie Jo wrote too. ;)

      Just as tasty without the peppers - so make it your way Doll! Lol
      Blessings. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Mr. C. makes the salsa around here, and it sounds a lot like yours! Delicious chilled, for sure. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope you're enjoying the warm weather today. I think this is our day of summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy!! I definitely did enjoy the warmth while we had it. Hopefully it will return soon! Lol xoxo

      Delete
  8. Sending you much love and many good thoughts and hugs for things with your MIL and in general. Don't know what else to say, but you know I know and I am thinking of you. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy!! It means a lot. ;)
      Blessings. xoxo

      Delete