Thursday, July 21, 2016

Cheesy Quick Bread & a Fun Summer Treat

Happy Thursday Sweet Friends! 


Today I thought I'd share this recipe for tasty cheesy quick bread. What is nice about this bread is that it comes together fast and bakes pretty fast for a quick bread too. It's something yummy to go with an Italian dinner - maybe in place of garlic bread for a change. Use it instead of corn bread to go with chili. It's versatile as you can add what cheeses and flavors you'd like. It's SO good warm out of the oven with a bit of butter for a snack. And I even enjoy it with a spot of butter with my coffee in the AM for breakfast. I like having my sweet coffee with something more savory. ;) 





I didn't capture any photos when I was mixing it up - but trust me it's so easy! I had a recipe that I had found in the past, but I tweaked some of the amounts as it was too crumbly the way the original recipe had it. Plus, it didn't have enough cheese for my liking so I added more. It also only called for some cheddar cheese and that was it. It's so much better if you add more flavor. So the above loaf I made the other day I added 1 cup of cheddar and a 1/2 cup of grated parmesean (the good stuff - not the green can). I also added some garlic powder and Italian seasoning blend to taste. Delish!  Here's the recipe as I wrote it after tweaking things:

CHEESY QUICK BREAD

1 & ¾ c. all-purpose flour
¼ c. sugar
2 & ½ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
1 & ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese (or do mix of couple cheeses)
1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
Additional seasonings or flavors (garlic powder, Italian seasonings, parsley etc) - optional


Preheat oven to 400*.  Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.  In one bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cheeses.  In another bowl beat together the egg, milk and oil. Add the flour/cheese mix to the wet ingredients. Stir until just moistened.  Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.  Enjoy!





Today I also thought I'd share a bit of Jell-o jiggler fun! We've been making these creations a bit throughout the summer. They're such a nice cool refreshing treat (not to mention low cal!). Annie and her friends especially love them. I think it's fun to get creative on flavors. And to make it even more of treat - cut a square and put a dollop of whipped cream on top. Endless possibilities and fun! Here's a few that I happened to take photos of:


This was Annie's lemon lime creation. Easy to make and you can make as many layers as you'd like or your pan will hold! I just followed the directions for making basic lemon jello. Poured it in the pan and chilled for about an 1 & 1/2 hrs or so before making the lime layer and pouring that over the top. Then chill the whole dish for about 4 hours before cutting into it. That's the basic rule of thumb I do is chill each new layer for about 1 & 1/2 hours and the whole thing at least 4 hrs before you're going to eat it.






Here's another flavor creation picked out by Annie. Tropical! This was a tri-layer jiggler.  I think the bottom photo, after taking a bite, shows the 3 layers better. The bottom darker orange layer was peach. The middle layer was yellow island pineapple. And the top lighter orange layer was mango. You could even cut out fun shapes with cookie cutters once the layers are well set. Summer fun - jiggly style!






9 comments:

  1. Both you and Annie have been having fun in the kitchen! That cheese bread, oh my goodness!! It looks and sounds divine!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread looks delicious!!! We love jello jigglers so much fun :-) Hope you are having a great week :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! I know I still need to come by and say hello! xoxo Blessing to you!

      Delete
  3. There you go again Carrie! Stop it with these recipes, will ya'?? My size 2 (or maybe 22?? I can't see anymore) pants are not compatible tyvm.

    (Pinning)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can't help myself Doreen! Trust me - I wish I could too! Lol xoxo

      Delete
  4. That bread looks so good! I'm saving the recipe for it - thanks!
    I love the idea of layering finger jello. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! Hope you enjoy it!! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh no, this bread is going to be my downfall, I just know it! Yummy Yum Yum! Annie makes some fabulous Jello, too! Thanks, Carrie - pinning :) xx K

    ReplyDelete