Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday


Hello and Happy July 4th my Friends (& especially to my USA Friends!)


I hope those of you that will be celebrating our national holiday today stay safe and have so much fun!! Here's wishing you sunny skies, BBQ yummies, swimming, boating, playing games with loved ones, campfires, fireworks, s'mores or other treats...and anything else wonderfully related to a fun July 4th day! We are planning to go to our city's Independence Day parade -and then close friends of ours & their kids are coming to our house later for a BBQ, games, pontoon ride, campfire and all around fun!!


We had such holiday fun Saturday at my brother and sister-in-law's house. They live on a lake and that lake has the tradition of shooting off fireworks and celebrating Independence Day on the Saturday before or after the actual July 4th (depending on when it lands on the calendar). So the tradition is that my BIL & SIL throw a party on that Saturday and friends and family go out there. We have good food, play volleyball and other games, swim, tube, jet ski, and just have fun! Then in the evening my brother-in-law shoots of some of his own amazing fireworks and then their lake puts on a main fireworks show later in the evening. Plus, my BIL usually picks up some cool lanterns and fun sparklers and we light them and send the lanterns to the sky with our wishes.  Just love it! God bless America!! 


However, tomorrow will bring me back to real life and I look forward to finally catching up with many of you my friends!!! 




THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:


Cloudy and cool (60's), but it's supposed to get in the 70's and be another lovely day. WE have been lucking out with gorgeous 70's to 80 degree days this whole wonderful 3 day weekend and most of last week! 






ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

Some yogurt and a cup of coffee.






  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

A little gray and cloudy - but it's bright and I see bits of blue. I think it's going to clear out quite a bit and just be partly cloudy today. We'll get more sun and it will get warm and pleasant. 







RIGHT NOW I AM:

In my office working on this, but keeping it quiet as both of my kiddos are still sleeping. I'm looking at my list again for the food I need to prep for today's fun! I'll go soon and get started on some of it and then go get ready for the parade. I always like to bring some cooler snacks (I froze some grapes last night) like fruit or frezee pops for the kiddos. It often gets hot sitting there. They'll get candy thrown at them in the parade too. Lol! We bring bags with us because many of the floats throw candy or hand out a treat. A family friend of ours lives right on the route, so they let us park in their driveway. We set up our lawn chairs and enjoy! Don't you just love tradition? 







AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Pretty tidy as we've been getting ready for our friends coming over today.









ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

I need to do some last minute tidying up and get the food items prepped and ready before we head to the parade this morning.









CURRENTLY READING:

I picked up a couple of fun summer reading books recently and hope to get into them soon and can then share about them next time.







ON THE TV TODAY:

Some cooking shows are taped and I still need to watch Outlander. 


 





ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: for the gathering here today - grilled steaks and burgers, corn on the cob, fruit, veggie tray or salad, crab dip & crackers, guacamole & chips, pink lemonade, skillet apple pie & vanilla ice cream, plus s'mores or root beer floats for later tonight


TUESDAY: probably leftovers!


WEDNESDAY: pasta and garlic toasts, salad


THURSDAY: baked or grilled chicken, cheesy potatoes, green beans



FRIDAY: not sure  - grocery run? eat out?







WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

More scrapbooking - might start new cross stitch as well?






NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

The skillet apple pie is new and trying a new marinade for the steaks.





TIP OF THE WEEK:

You can add a little essential oil to some baking soda and make a carpet refresher with it. Just sprinkle on your carpet and vacuum it up. The baking soda is like an odor neutralizer and the essential oil fragrance adds freshness and a nice scent.





FROM THE CAMERA:

Most of these photos are from the July 4th party at my BIL and SIL's house Saturday.


Annie and a cousin swimming in my in-law's pool.




There were lots of teenagers there and they took over the volleyball court for a while.  ;) My son is in that mix somewhere. 




Some of my BIL's fireworks.



Annie sparkler time!




Getting lanterns lit to send off.




 Love this photo above of the campfire burning bright next to the lake - while fireworks are still going off over the lake...all on a perfect summer night.



The back of my BIL's & SIL's home (the part that faces the lake)




Campfire going - can you see the hockey goalie on the outside fire ring? It also says the kids' hockey team on it.












The rest of the above photos are of some of the July 4th decorations I put up for our little gathering. Bring on the fun - yay!!






PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:


I don't know if she'll be posting today with the holiday, but if she does I'll be linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.



9 comments:

  1. Good morning my friend. I knew I could count on you to post today also! I love the idea of the pre-fourth of July celebration on a Saturday! Twice as much fun that way! I'm glad you had so much fun, great pictures!

    I use essential oils and baking soda too! They are great little refreshers for so many things. I use the same recipe for around the cat box too.

    Skillet apple pie sounds interesting and apropos for the holiday. I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

    Have a fun and safe 4th of July my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Fourth of July! I was just wondering if anyone would post today. I may try to sneak one in as well. The party looks so fun! I really slacked off on decorating this year so enjoyed seeing your touches in the photos. Maybe I'll pick up a few new things on clearance and be all set for next year ;) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Fourth! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your family knows how to do it up right! Love the idea of the lanterns. What did you wish for? Better not be Clooney ' cause he's mine bi#ch ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your family knows how to do it up right! Love the idea of the lanterns. What did you wish for? Better not be Clooney ' cause he's mine bi#ch ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness how you make me laugh Lady!! I promise you that night I didn't wish for Clooney. I'll be gracious and let you have him. I've been having a Chris Hemsworth thing going lately. ;) Lol xoxo

      Delete
    2. Oh goodness how you make me laugh Lady!! I promise you that night I didn't wish for Clooney. I'll be gracious and let you have him. I've been having a Chris Hemsworth thing going lately. ;) Lol xoxo

      Delete
  6. I do enjoy seeing your patriotic 4th of July celebrations. Fireworks over the lake must be beautiful, and your star decor is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your forth of July sounds and looks wonderful! you are blessed to live so close to the water.

    ReplyDelete