Thursday, September 8, 2016

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Muffins

Hello Friends! 


I shared some muffins I had made on my instagram the other day and I thought I would share more about them today. They're basically a lot like the tasty bread I shared the other day in this post, but even easier due to less prep work and faster baking time. I'm always using up overripe bananas in recipes and an absolute favorite in our home is the standard banana bread recipe found here in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook - that has been around forever (with the red plaid cover on it). However, I often don't add the lemon zest or nuts the recipe calls for (my kiddos don't care for nuts in their bread) - and I do add chocolate or butterscotch chips.






Well it's really easy to take that bread recipe and line a muffin pan and bake it up in the form of muffins instead! Since it's back-to-school time right now - muffins are a great way to provide a yummy breakfast on the go or an after school snack.  For this recipe:










I made up the banana bread batter and added a few chocolate chips as that's my kiddos favorite with banana anything. I filled the cups 1/2 full and topped each with a little bit of some cinnamon & sugar mixture, but I always make mine more "cinnamony" (a technical term I'm sure) and less sugary.  Then I filled the rest of the cups with more batter and then topped them again with a little more of the cinnamon/sugar mixture.




Now I know that it's not the healthiest muffin - but I think there would be easy ways to health it up a bit. You could use part or all whole wheat flour in the batter. Or stir in healthier things like apple chunks and walnuts or pecans. I love nuts in mine so next time I think I'm going to do apples (so good with that cinnamon) and at least 1/2 of the muffins will have some walnuts in them whether my kiddos like it or not - Lol! I'm sure you could even add some bran or flax seed if you want to really health it up. 








Then just bake these at same temp of 350* F, but for less time. The normal recipe calls for 50 to 55 minutes, but these were done after about 35-40 minutes.  Then enjoy seeing the smiles on your kiddos' faces when they gobble them up!  Again here's the link to the batter I make if you want to give it a try...or else just use the banana bread or muffin recipe you already love!


And make sure you take a moment on a rainy gray morning to light some candles, pour a hot cup of coffee, and enjoy one yourself. 

Blessings. xoxo 



I'll be sharing this with Sherry at Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home. And with Andrea at Scrapality for Scraptastic Saturday.

Scraptastic Saturdays every Saturday @ 8 PM EST.





11 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I can smell the cinnamon! Thanks for the muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, something else to make besides banana bread! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love having some alternatives from banana bread too. Hope you enjoy. ;)
      xo

      Delete
  3. They look so good! I never thought to put cinnamon sugar with banana bread but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it Mari! They were delish!
      xo

      Delete
  4. Ok, sounds like you're throwing down the gauntlet and challenging me to a bake off missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. So whatcha gonna do about it Doreen my Girl? ;)
      Consider yourself challenged. Ha!!
      xo

      Delete
  5. Yum!! Fall flavors! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete