Thursday, February 16, 2017

BBQ Chicken Tenders


Hello Friends! 


I thought today I would share a fun recipe that's especially great for kids. I think I have mentioned before that when I make baked parmesan chicken breasts I coat my chicken with some light mayo. I use that instead of flour, eggs, breading kind of thing. I coat a little of the mayo on the chicken and then roll it in italian bread crumbs with some shredded parmesan mixed in with it.  It makes for a more moist, but still some crunch kind of crust. 


Well I had pinned this a while back and thought it sounded good, as my kiddos love honey mustard:


Pretzel-Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce ~ tender, juicy nuggets are baked to perfection and served with a lightened-up, Greek yogurt-based sauce for a simple, yummy, family-pleasing dinner! | FiveHeartHome.com::


It basically involves using pretzels as a coating for chicken nuggets (or tenders) - as pretzels taste so good with honey mustard for dipping. You can find the recipe for this on my pinterest board "favorite recipes" which you can find here.  However, I make something like this with the light mayo and mix in a little honey mustard with the mayo before I put it on the chicken. And then roll the chicken in the crushed pretzels. Get that honey mustard flavor in there right away, besides just dipping.


Anyway, where I was going with this is that this recipe inspired me to make a BBQ version, as my kiddos like BBQ a lot too. 


So for this one I did the same method. I coated chicken tenders in some light mayo mixed with a little BBQ sauce and then rolled them in....get this - CRUSHED UP BBQ KETTLE CHIPS! Yep, I did that. And boy were they yummy and very....well.... BBQ-y. ;)  For those that like a more specific recipe here's what I did:


BBQ CHICKEN TENDERS

1&1/2 - 2 lbs of chicken tenders
seasoning of your choice (salt, pepper, garlic powder etc)
1/2 to 1 cup light mayo (I like Kraft)
1-2 Tbsp BBQ sauce 
BBQ kettle chips (about 2 cups)

Directions: Put mayo and BBQ sauce in bowl and mix well. Season chicken tenders if desired. Due to salty chips - I just peppered mine a bit, but feel free to add some garlic powder or whatever flavors of your choice. Coat chicken tenders in mayo mixture. Crush potato chips into a large shallow dish - or onto large flat plate. Roll coated chicken tenders in chips. Place chicken on sheet tray with wire rack insert. Bake in a preheated 375* oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side for dipping. 


I think there a lot of fun possibilities for cooking chicken with this method. Think sour cream and onion chicken - with a little onion dip in the mayo to coat the chicken and roll in sour cream and onion chips. Or I've even seen recipes for chicken coated with different cereals - like Captain Crunch!  Here's a photo of that:


DSC_4339

And this is from a recipe from the Pioneer Woman which you can find here.  Really the possibilities are endless. Use your imagination - along with your own favorite flavors! 


Annie and I have been working on her cooking skills and she is now making dinner for us one night a week (with a little help yet). And I think one of the best things I can do is teach her to have fun with it all! So go on and play with your food! ;) xoxo



3 comments:

  1. What a great idea for Annie to be making one meal a week. Excellent! And those look pretty fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those recipes look so good! I used to cook at my parents house once or twice a week when I was growing up. It was always fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun recipe for Annie! I love this - my Mr. works for a potato chip company that also distributes pretzels! I'm definitely going to try both of these. I'm a little 'iffy' on the Captain Crunch one, but who knows, it might taste great! Thanks for sharing! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete