Thursday, February 23, 2017

Slow Cooker Pot Roast: Comfort Food 101

Hello Friends! 

How's your week been going so far? I've been enjoying kiddo time while they're still on break. Even my son (aka: the teenager) has been playing along nicely with us, when he's not hanging out with his girlfriend. (giggle) 


He was out playing some soccer in the driveway with his sister yesterday. Makes a Mama heart happy. The weather had been mild, but then it was colder last night and some rain...then snow showed up. Today is trying to make a sunshine thing happen, but temps are still cooler. So it's putting me in the mood for comfort food and I'd been craving pot roast in the worst way - so this morning I made it happen! My Girl even helped me a bit by peeling the carrots and washing the veggies. I don't have a grand finale yet, as it'll be out dinner tonight. But I got it all prepped and in the slow cooker and can show you how I made it:



Now of course there are many different ways to do a pot roast. But today I kind of did a mash up of a couple of recipes to flavor it how I wanted. I have also often made a pot roast with the potatoes (I usually like red potatoes), along with the carrots and celery. I even have a recipe where I throw in a can of green beans - with the juice and all. Adds a nice flavor as well. Today I did a Betty Crocker recipe with some ingredients used that are very common to my WI/MN northwoods (aka: hot dish country- Lol). So this version includes cream of mushroom soup and a packet of beefy onion soup mix. However, I also like the way where the roast is seared first then pan deglazed with wine etc. Here was my compromise...





First I seared a 3&1/2 pound beef sirloin tip roast in some oil, after seasoning it with some salt and pepper.












After it was browned nicely I removed it and then took some chopped and sliced onions and browned them in the brown bits and oil leftover (where's there's lots of yummy flavor).




Once the onions had cooked for several minutes, I removed them (most of them anyway) and deglazed the pan with 1/2 c. of beef broth and a 1/2 c. of apple juice (improvisation when one has no red wine) and let it boil for several minutes...scraping up all the yummy brown bits (aka: the fond - I watch The Chew - Lol) along the way. 












I took the carrots & celery that were cut into large chunks and placed them in the bottom of the slow cooker. I added the cooked onions and 3-4 garlic cloves minced with a garlic press. I then placed the roast on top of the veggies. 





I whisked up the rest of the ingredients off of the Betty Crocker recipe (which I'll share at the end of the post) - which included tomato paste, cream of mushroom soup, beefy onion soup packet, seasonings (I ran out of thyme so I used Mrs. Dash I had that contains thyme and other herbs), I also added a bay leaf and then the beef broth. However, I used a little less beef broth than the recipe calls for to account for the extra I put it in when deglazing the pan.





Then I poured this over the roast and veggies. I set the crockpot to high for 1 hour to bring it all up to temp faster. Then I turned it to low to cook for another 7 to 8 hours. When it's about time to eat I will take out the roast and veggies and cover them to keep warm. I will then turn crockpot to high and add a slurry of 2 Tbsp cornstarch and 2 Tbsp water mixed together. I will cook that in the liquid for 20 mins or until thick and use as a gravy when I serve the pot roast and veggies over creamy mashed potatoes. Yum! Comfort food 101 Baby! ;)  Here's Betty's recipe:


Ingredients

1 1/2
lb small Yukon Gold potatoes
1 1/2
lb carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
4
cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
1
boneless beef sirloin tip roast (2 1/2 to 3 lb)
1/2
teaspoon pepper
1/4
teaspoon salt
3 1/2
cups Progresso™ beef-flavored broth (from 32-oz carton) 
2
tablespoons tomato paste
1/2
teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1
can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1
package (1.1 oz) beefy onion soup mix
2
tablespoons cornstarch
2
tablespoons water 
Chopped fresh parsley, if desired

Directions

  • 1 Spray 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, place potatoes, carrots and garlic. Place beef over vegetables. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. In medium bowl, mix broth, tomato paste, thyme, mushroom soup and onion soup mix with whisk until smooth. Pour over beef and vegetables.
  • 2 Cover; cook on High heat setting 1 hour. Reduce heat setting to Low. Cover; cook 8 hours longer or until beef is tender. Remove beef from slow cooker to serving platter. Spoon vegetables around beef; cover to keep warm.
  • 3 In small bowl, mix cornstarch and water with whisk until smooth. Stir into liquid in slow cooker. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 12 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve gravy with beef and vegetables. Garnish with parsley.

And if you'd like to visit the website where I got this recipe you can click here.  And if you'd like to take note of the changes I made:

  1. *seared the seasoned meat in oil first
  2. *removed meat and cooked onions in same pan
  3. *removed onions and deglazed pan with apple juice (or could use wine) and beef broth
  4. *used carrots and celery and no potatoes, as I'm serving over creamy mashed potatoes
  5. *added a bay leaf  


**on another little side note - my friend Doreen brought up a good point that if you are wanting a less "wet" pot roast, you could do a rub on the roast and use less liquid due to the moisture the slow cooker creates. If I weren't making a gravy I would probably try that route. 


I'm sharing this with Sherry at Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home.








 

4 comments:

  1. That. Looks amazing!
    Carrie, I usually do the Cream of Mushroom Soup and Onion soup mix, but this? This is a whole new level of yumminess!!!
    Thank you for sharing, : )
    P.S. Send some snow this way, please???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this one, as I do like a good pot roast. Trying to use my slow cooker more and more.
    Hugs,
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds wonderful! And I just picked up a roast at the store tonight. So - I'll be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried it with the soup mixed in. I bet my family would love it. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.

    ReplyDelete