Friday, February 10, 2017

Homemade Valentines, a Recipe, & something to Make you Smile

Hello Dearest Blogland Friends! 


Happy weekend to you! TGIF, right? I hope you have fun plans for the weekend ahead. I can't believe another week has breezed by and it's the weekend again already. Time flies when you're having fun and that's what I've been doing. Having fun catching up on scrapbooks and also paper crafting away making some Valentine's Day cards. So today I thought I'd share with you several things including the valentines I made recently (including one I kind of shared yesterday but will show again), a yummy recipe I made last weekend, and something that is pretty corny...but I think will give you a smile.  



ONE

Here's the 1st valentine I'd like to share today - and I have a few details about how I went about creating it. 









I had some kraft paper  cardstock and envelopes that I used for the base of things. Then I knew I wanted to use something vintage looking with a romantic feel - so I pulled a couple of different papers from this little book and trimmed them to fit my card. 




I arranged them how I liked them on the front and adhered them.

















I wanted to embellish them further so I found another pretty paper and cut out a heart. I added a pretty dimensional butterfly sticker to its top. I then took a crochet ring and added this diamond brad to it. I adhered both embellishments to the front of the card.
















I then set about filling the card. So I used some pretty floral paper and added it inside the card. I typed up a valentine message and cut it out with my victorian-look scissors and adhered it on top. 










I cut out another heart from other vintage paper and added a dimensional flower sticker to it and adhered that to the back of the envelope. I think it turned out rather pretty and soft and romantic.  ;) 








TWO







And this is the card I shared yesterday. I used a card that already had a floral background and some lace tape to make a pattern. I then glued on a pretty crepe flower and voila! A little embellishment of lace tape and flowers on the envelope and it's a pretty set. 








THREE




And for this card I used another floral blank card and added a heart that I cut out with decorative scissors. I then glued on this sweet yellow crochet heart.  I love adding dimension to the front. And to be cheeky I added "Got Love?" that I typed and printed up. I then wrote a response on the inside to let a sweet loved one know that lots of love is sent in that card. ;) 







I embellished the envelope with a couple of heart stickers. 




So pretty to also display next to romantic valentine decor - including a really yummy smelling yankee candle that lets one dream of lilacs and Spring....which still seems far away. ::sigh::







FOUR




Now on to the recipe portion. I made this yummy Boston cream poke cake last weekend and it was so good! I had a few different recipes about how to make this - as some called for extra pudding and some called for different kinds of  frosting. I found that the way this cake turns out so well is by making a basic yellow cake mix following its directions. Bake in 9x13 pan according to box directions. Once pulled from oven poke holes all over cake with end of a wooden spoon (or tool about that size). Then take one 3.5 oz instant vanilla pudding mix and mix in 2 cups of milk until well mixed and thickening a little. Pour over whole cake getting in all of the holes. Put cake in fridge for a while to cool and set up. Then take a can of chocolate frosting and microwave it for about 20 seconds until it gets thin enough to pour, but not too thin. Spread all over top of cake and then keep in fridge until ready to serve. Something about that canned frosting makes it a perfect kind of boston cream glaze.  Perfect for a Valentine Sweetheart. Yummy!!






FIVE


And just to make you smile - I'm sharing all of these corny vintage valentines I found on pinterest. Just for fun.  Happy almost Valentine's Day! xoxo






















I'm sharing with Amy at Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.














12 comments:

  1. I was looking at all the pretty Valentines you made, Carrie, and was quite startled to scroll down and next see a cake! (a good looking cake, for sure). :-) And those vintage Valentines are fun to see. Mr. C.'s cousin had a ton of them in his attic. I think his mother had saved every card he had ever received as a child. Sounds like we're going to have nicer weather tomorrow and I'm so looking forward to it! You take care and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy - I love the vintage ones too. How awesome that his cousin's Mom saved all of his. It'd be so fun to look back, would't it? I'm such a sucker for stuff like that anyway. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your cake looks like it's as easy as the coconut cake I posted. Something about yellow cakes with chocolate frosting really appeals to me, so the addition of pudding has to be even better. Definitely will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cake was SO good Patsy! It's become a fave around here. ;) xo

      Delete
  3. You are so creative. I love that vintage paper! I also love those old valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popped from Five on Friday! What fun! Your cards are really lovely and I'm going to have to try that cake! Sounds easy enough! And I did get a laugh out of the vintage Valentine's. Yes they are corny but innocent and sweet! Glad I popped in! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting Ms. "Sunshine". ;) xoxo

      Delete
  5. All those vintage valentines are so fun, made me smile. The cards you are creating are beautiful. My oldest son would like that recipe, I think. Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing sweeter than vintage valentine's cards imo. You showed us some really cute ones and tes, they did make me smile, see :).

    Ok, I lied. I think that cake is sweeter!! Yummooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're such beautiful cards, how clever you are. The cake looks amazing! But there's just something so sweet about old fashioned Valentines that touches my heart--I'm an old softie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Janet - softie at heart! ;) xo

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous selection of Valentine's goodies you have brought us, Carrie. Hope you have a beautiful Valentine's Day. xo

    ReplyDelete