Friday, April 21, 2017

Upcycled Key Jewelry

Hello and Happy Friday Friends! It's a beautiful day in the northwoods with the sun shining on the bay. And it looks to be a promising weekend too! Before I go run errands I wanted to share more about the key jewelry I've been working on and show you some of them. 




I found a bag of old hotel keys (remember the days when you actually had to carry around a big key??) and I cleaned them up knowing I wanted to upcycle them in some way. I started playing around with some paper crafting materials, lace, fabric etc that I had lying around. 





And using some modgepodge and some jewelry glue - I went to my creative happy place and several necklaces have now emerged. ;) I liked doing layering of different kinds of materials on top of each other.  A lace backdrop with a paper crafting word.  Bits of fabric with bird stickers in front.  Whatever seemed to work with the materials I was choosing at the time. I love that when creating something new there is no right or wrong - just doing and imagination.  I attached some different colors of cording to make them a necklace and voila.  Here are some that I'd like to show you. 


















I love how this one looks like the little yellow bird and flowers on the left are in front of a forest made from lace. 












Here are more I'd like to share. These next few seem especially Spring-like and Summer-like to me. 






You can never go wrong with polka dots and flowers, right??













Little chickadee over some fabric.











Pretty as a summer wish. 









I love that not only are these keys being reused and not gone to waste in the garbage, but I think they make some really funky and unique jewelry! It is my hope and plan to have my own Etsy store up and running next month. I will keep you posted on details when things are all set up.









Stay cool Friends xoxo


I'm sharing this with 



FB-party-logo_600



Cooking and Crafting with J & J Link Up




Scraptastic Saturday Featuredsm














12 comments:

  1. I LOVE your darling keys, Carrie! So charming! I didn't know you were opening an etsy shop - good for you. I can't wait to see it! Sending hugs and blessings for your weekend. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I've been going around and around with the idea of it for some time....but I've finally decided to go for it with the store. It will primarily be paper crafting things. I'm working on some albums & scrapping pages that will be premade and some other paper crafting jewelry. Also, some mixed media canvas things (involving paper crafting too). Maybe some specialty cards too? Lots of ideas! ;) Thanks for the support Sweetie! xoxo

      Delete
  2. So many ways to go with toppings for your key jewelry. Very clever unique idea. Would you mind if I borrowed some of your idea to make my own? So glad you shared your adorably pretty key jewelry. Have wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you were inspired by my necklaces and touched that you want to do something similar! Create away!! I love meeting another fellow crafter too. ;) Blessings on your weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Your keys are so cute and make gorgeous jewellery Carrie. CAn't wait to see your Etsy store, and hope I see them there. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Trish! I'm loving really diving in to my creative side! Lots of ideas and creations in the works over here. Decided to just go for it! I'll be keeping you all posted when things are "a go". ;) xoxo

      Delete
  4. Well look at you Ms. 'I'm opening an Etsy shop'! You're just rockin' and rollin' aren't you!!? Congrats! That's going to be an exciting adventure for you :).

    Very creative idea with those keys, and a wonderful way to keep them out of the landfills!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dearest Doreen! I need a place to channel this creative ADHD. :P Decided to just go for it. Kind of like with this blog...I mulled it over for ages and finally decided to just go for it and it's one of my most treasured things I've done for myself. I'm hoping Etsy will be another channel for that - and if it doesn't really go anywhere that's okay too. I'll know I gave it a try! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  5. These are great Carrie! I really like that steam punk key with the tiny gears. Good for you in starting up an Etsy shop! You're well on your way to filling the shop "shelves". Have a great weekend,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very unique! I love the idea of using the keys to make your jewelry. They turned out so pretty too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual, you've been one busy creative girl. Good thing you have your Wonder Woman badge if you're going to add an Etsy shop to everything else you do.

    If you have lots of keys, they make great shadow box additions, too. I've seen some really cute ones.

    Hope everyone is all well and eager for outdoor activites at your house. Our rain finally stopped, so lots of yardwork to dig into (literally) this week.

    Your mother gave you the right name. Carry On. Big hug, P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Steampunk looking one with the tiny gears/cogs on it :)
    great way to give something a new life, well done!

    Thanks for joining in with Five on Friday, Hope you have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete