Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Easy Holiday Pom-pom Garland

Hello dear Friends! 


Hope your holiday season is continuing on merrily and brightly. I woke up to another world of white this morning:


But now it's that crazy mix of rain and snow and kind of slushy. We keep riding that fine line between snow and rain - so it continues to be kind of messy and ugly at times. I hope mother nature chooses just pretty snow for Christmas next week though.


But today I wanted to share this fun little craft my daughter and I did together recently.  We picked up some red and green yarn and then decided to do some easy "old school style" pom-pom's to make a garland for her room. 


 I'm a child of the 1970's - and back then it was popular to make pom-pom's by winding yarn around a card (like an index card) and making them fun and fuzzy. So Annie and I set to work and made some festive red and green pom-pom's and then threaded them onto a strand of yarn and made our own fun garland. 




We picked out some red and green yarn. We then took index cards (I think we used 4x6 - but use whichever size card you want) as that is what I had on hand. You can reinforce the card in some way - or use something stronger like card board if you have it too. 



We then wound the yarn in a circle around the card about 70 to 80 times to make them more full.  Then take the end of the yard after winding and cut it and thread it through the back of the circle (the part between the yarn and the card) and tie it off. 



Then slide your yarn circle off of your card.




Then cut the circle in half (opposite of where it's tied off).




Squeeze the yarn together to make a "ball" on the top.



Tie off that ball with more yarn.


Fluff out your bottom and you have  a pom-pom!


Make as many pom-pom's as you want for whichever size garland, or other project, you want to complete.





Then thread a strand of yarn through the tops of the pom-pom's and you have a garland! 


If you're like Annie - add some red and green owls for added whimsy!


Then hang wherever you'd like some added festive color. Annie chose her head board. 

I'm linking with these lovely parties: 

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday. 

And Scrapality for Scraptastic Saturday.

Scraptastic Saturdays every Saturday @ 8 PM EST.





14 comments:

  1. Fantastic!!! That is a lot of fun isn't it! In fact, it is pomtastic! Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always make me giggle Amy! Love it - you corny Gal you! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. That looks like you two must have had a great time putting this cute garland together Carrie! I love anything tondo with Pom Poms :).

    It's still pretty warm here. Would you believe the forecast for next week is in the 60's??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw there was warm weather out East. It's sure been a crazy winter so far!
      We had a great time putting this together. We watched Rudolph while we did it. Holiday memories are the best. ;) xoox

      Delete
  3. So adorable!! turned out great :-) Have a great night!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was quite warm here today, but that snow is coming this way soon!
    The garland is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hon! Hoping we all get a white Xmas Mari. It would make it feel more like the season. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  5. Such a cute idea! I love how it looks on her pretty bed. Love her pillows, too:) Oh, that snow looks so beautiful. We are gray, gray, gray! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Sending you beautiful blustery white snowy thoughts. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  6. Oh my, what a gorgeous snow photo. It's been years since I made a pom pom, but we did it regularly when the kids lived at home! Happy Christmas Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish! It was so fun to go down memory lane & do one with my daughter. I hadn't since I was a kiddo! Lol Merry Christmas to you too my Friend. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love this idea. So fun & festive!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather! My daughter and I had lots of fun working on it. ;) Blessings for a beautiful Christmas! xoxo

      Delete