Friday, December 18, 2015

Five on Friday:Holiday Fun

Happy Friday Friends!  


We still have a bit of a world of white and I'm doing final shopping, wrapping of gifts,  and my Mom and I did a lot of our baking...so I am full force feeling the Christmas spirit! Hope you are able to enjoy wherever you are with things as well!! I am hoping to be back for Happy Homemaker Monday's the next couple weeks, but other than that I am taking a break from blogging through Christmas and the first part of the New Year to enjoy quality family time while my kiddos will be home on school break. So today I'm sharing some fun and easy holiday recipes and crafts. Since I won't have many posts over the next 2 weeks, I've got lots of pictures so grab some cocoa  & get ready to sit a spell...


ONE




Recipe: Sugared Pecans

These are one of my favorite things to make for the holidays! They are so popular with others that I also give a lot of these out as gifts. Just package them up in a pretty and festive tin, and you literally have a sweet gift to share. You can find the recipe for them in this post from the past. 


Also, I thought I'd share this fun decorating idea:

I found these old neat metal letters in an antique store several years ago. With the letters I found I knew I wanted to spell out a holiday word - as they were already painted a nice red. So I thought of the word "noel" as I could find most of the letters...however alas there was no "o". So I bought them anyway and thought I'd figure out something. Well, I had this little red berry wreath that was the same size as the letters and voila - there was my "o"!  I think neat vintage letters like these can be a neat way to make a fun decorating statement. Be creative!




TWO


Recipe: Reindeer Cookies

These are such a fun and easy way to have decorated sugar cookies. Simply take a log of sugar cookie dough. Squeeze one end - all the way through the tube - to make a kind of triangle shape. Cut out slices and bake. Use the pointier bottom as the reindeer nose an place an m&m candy. Use chocolate chips for eyes and pretzels for antlers.  


The other day I was caregiving for my MIL and we often color in adult coloring books. Well I decided to be creative and used my water color pencils to create some of my own "art work". 








They are really fun to doodle with - as once you make some "doodle's", you can soften them with water and make more of a water color picture. I had fun creating a winter sunset scene. But there are creative things that can be done with this kind of art work - maybe making homemade ornaments, or something to frame, or even use in some scrapbooking. So fun!




THREE



Recipe: faux turtles

These are so tasty - all the flavors of a turtle candy - but so much easier to make. Simply take mini pretzels and place a rolo candy on top. Bake in a 350* oven for about 3 minutes. When you take them out of the oven place a pecan halve into the chocolate while it's still hot. Let them cool and set. So yummy! Another one to package and give away too. 


Here's another fun thing I did while doodling with my water color pencils.
















After doodling and playing with color on some white card stock, I used some soft Christmas pins that I had and pinned them to the front to make some festive cards. Such a fun way to decorate a card to send someone - and then they can take off the pin and keep it as a gift! 




FOUR



Recipe: Christmas Almond Bark

Another festive - but easy recipe that is great for gift giving. Simply take white chocolate almond bark. Melt it in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals on 50% power, stirring in between each time. Once bark is fully melted stir in about 1/2  cup or so of shelled pistachios and dried cranberry or cherries. Pour into the size pan of your choice on some parchment paper. Red and green and so yummy! Place in fridge for about 30 minutes and then break into pieces and place in pretty cellophane bags for gift giving. 


I love this frame my daughter made for me.

This is a great way to recycle old frames that don't have their glass anymore. Take frame and paint in your choice of color. Then glue on embellishments of your choice. I think several of these would be pretty in a grouping on the wall. Or in this case I used this one as a back drop for my snowman decoration.




FIVE

For my final part of this post - I just thought I'd show some fun holiday moments from my past week.


Some woodland "nature" Santa's (fit my northwoods home well)



Temps have dropped - so we're still holding on to our white Christmas so far.


Annie's religious education class put on a pageant concert. My Angel! ;) 


Ruby LOVES to do the school runs with me! She gets excited by every squirrel in a yard or dog being walked.


Looking through old scrapbooks and finding some fun treasures! Haha! Love this one from when my kiddos were such wee ones. ::sigh:: How the time does fly - especially at Christmas!!  

Have a wonderful weekend and I'm planning to pop in again before Christmas, so I won't give my final Christmas wishes to all yet. I'm linking with Amy of Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.

















34 comments:

  1. A www that was just the cutest sweetest post with all that is good for the heart & tummy!
    Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine!! Blessings of the season to you!! ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Christmas decorations and preparations and lots of very tasty things to eat too! What could be better! Thank you for joining Five On Friday and making it a great thing this year. I so appreciate it! Happy Christmas! See you again in 2016! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Amy! Some of the best parts of the season are the baking and the gathering together as family and friends around good food. I love joining with Five on Friday - thanks for being such a wonderful hostess! Blessings of the season to you my Dear. xoxo

      Delete
  3. These are great recipes and crafty ideas Carrie! So nice that you have some snow too, making it all very Christmassy :) We are still very green and mild.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy!! Hope you get some white for Christmas! We still have a little and it's snowing again today.
      Blessings for a very Merry Christmas to you! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, you have so many nice Christmas things to eat. Makes me want to get in my kitchen and bake but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Latane!!Hope your baking is going well and you have a lovely and blessed Christmas. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Love all your cute and easy decorating ideas, Carrie! Also, all those yummy goodies look so good and so easy to make. My favorite way to cook! Such beautiful snow photos and always love seeing your precious kiddos. Yes, they grow up fast! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas and many blessings in the New Year, my friend! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my dear Karen!! I love the visits we get to have with each other and peeks into each others homes, kitchen of goodies, and families. Feel such a friendship from afar. What a blessing.
      Merriest of Christmases to you and your family my Dear!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. The Pecans and Turtles look so yummy!! I liked what you did with those letters, I love décor with letters, and words. Those watercolor pencils look really cool, do they color real smoothly? I’ve hinted to my kids that I want some nice pencils and an adult coloring book for Christmas. :) That frame idea is really pretty too…but I’m eyeballin’ that snowman in front…like him!!

    I don’t think we’ll have a white Christmas :( We did get some flurries this evening, but nothing spectacular.

    I just love your pics of Ruby…I just want to hug her!! Have a wonderful weekend Care Bear!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sweetie!! Thanks so much!
      The colors do color nicely - even if I don't "water color" them. I think I found them at Barnes and Noble. The snowman was a gift and is a Christopher Radko (sp?) - I've loved him for many years too. ;)

      Praying that you have a white Christmas Sweetie! We still have a little on the ground and snowing a bit today, so that helps.

      Ruby sends you hugs back!! She's my little Lover. Blessings to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas and joyous New Year my dear sweet Friend!!! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Some lovely ideas and recipes. I really liked the idea of using a pin on a card, so will double as a gift. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetie!! I thought that was a fun idea too. Anything that allows my daughter and me to be creative and have fun, is a worthwhile project. And then to be able to gift it - all the better. ;)
      Blessings for a wonderful Christmas to you! xoxo

      Delete
  8. That was fun!!! I so enjoyed all your craft and recipe ideas, my friend!!!! Your little Angel is just precious! Enjoy these days leading up to Christmas... They are sure to pass quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Billie Jo! The countdown is really on now! ;)
      HOpe you're enjoying these final days being snuggly and having wonderful family time.
      Blessings to you and your family during these beautiful, fun and holy days ahead. xoxo

      Delete
  9. I agree, it was so much fun seeing your lovely photos. The cookies/candies you made look amazing! Wishing I could grab one from my computer screen...And the snow pictures are beautiful. How I long for a white Christmas. Wishing you a fun, festive weekend. Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pat!! Sending you sweet thoughts right through the computer. ;)

      Sending you wintery white snowflake wishes too. Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!! xoxo

      Delete
  10. This was a great post - full of great recipe and craft ideas. I love old letters and your use of them is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mari! We've been having lots of fun around here. HOpe you're doing the same!! ;)
      Blessings to you all for a wonderful Christmas!! xoxo

      Delete
  11. Oh my, you are full of great ideas Carrie. That is so clever with the cookie dough, and the Noel arrangement too. Great recipe for the turtles! Your lovely Christmas card arrived, and thank you so much. What a treat to receive something from Over There, where there is Snow at Christmas! Love it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Trish!! So nice to "find" you in this way and make a new wonderful friend. So happy you got the cards ok. ;)

      Blessings to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas and very joyous New Year!! xoxo

      Delete
  12. You've been mighty prolific Ms. Carrie! I'm glad you'll be taking some time off to enjoy your family and the Christmas season too. It's suppose to be around 60 degrees Christmas Day, but we should be in Savannah by then, which no doubt will be even warmer. We are heading out Tuesday :)

    Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been awfully fun being busy elves over here. Lol ;)
      Wishing you safe travels and a very Merry and Joyous Christmas and New Year my dear Doreen!! xoxo

      Delete
  13. I love sugared pecans and those faux turtles look great! The NOEL letters and the old picture frames...great ideas! Look at all that snow! Beautiful! And sweet grand-daughter and also your kids pictures from the past. I love seeing Christmas through a child's eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! Christmas is just magic from the kiddos' perspective, isn't it? Love that too!
      Blessings for a wonderful Christmas for you and your family! xoxo

      Delete
  14. I love watercolour pencils, they can completely change a picture. The letters are great and your recycled picture frames. Lovely picture of your angel too, merry Christmas to you and yours xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa! We've been having fun. ;)
      Blessings to you and your family for a Merry Christmas and joyous New Year! xoxo

      Delete
  15. aw....beautiful kids u have!!!merry christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meghana!! Merry Christmas to you too!! xoxo

      Delete
  16. So much goodness here! Love the decorations and all the delicious goodies! Love the pictures of your children too. Looks like you are all ready for the big day, even with snow!! ;-) Have a very Merry Christmas :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jill!! Hope you're enjoying these final days during this beautiful holy season. Blessings to you and your family for a very Merry Christmas and blessed New Year! xoxo

      Delete
  17. Oooh, your sugared pecans look so good! I definitely would not want to pass up those faux turtles either! Looks like you have been devoted to a very worthy cause lately!

    I do like how you found a way to spell Noel by incorporating a wreath. It must be your creative, scrapbooking mind at work! I've found on the scrapbook project I mentioned before (and am finally almost done with), that when I buy sticker letters I usually run out of some of the essential letters way too soon, and am left with a bunch of little-used letters. My sister encouraged to cut the stickers up so I could make o's out of as and make do with whatever I have...it's been helpful!

    Enjoyed seeing your artwork. I think I like the candy cane card the best! Annie looks lovely with her halo! Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany!! I love doing that with letters too. And I think it is my scrapbooking brain as I think I did something similar with scrapbooking before and used a wreath sticker as an "O" when I was out of them for a Christmas layout. ;)

      Blessings to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas a joyous New Year dear Gal!! xoxo

      Delete