Thursday, January 14, 2016

Delicious Asian Coleslaw (& Dreaming)

I have just been having one of those January weeks. The kind where I'm already dreaming on Spring and Summer....even though I know I have a LONG time to wait!  I don't know what's wrong with me, or why I punish myself this way.  I was born and raised here. Lived in the North my whole life. One would think I would get a grip! 


But as I've gotten older - I find that I always have this little lapse this time of year. Once the holiday hoopla has slowed down and it's just me and the cold and the snow...I get horrible Spring Fever!! Don't worry it will pass. And then I'll catch it again REALLY bad in March. But in the mean time sometimes I need to look at warm weather photos and dream on light summery recipes. That's why last week I made BBQ with that yummy orange pecan slaw side dish. So please indulge me another moment today.



Last summer at the beach and our docked pontoon



Last summer at a family reunion on the lake - Annie swimming with a cousin, and her and I on a pontoon boat


So I was looking at some of these photos from last summer. And the bottom ones are from a family reunion. It triggered a memory for me of something we ate at the family gathering. My cousin and his wife made this most delicious Asian coleslaw side dish to go along with our other yummy picnic food at the reunion. It was so different than other kinds I've had and I just fell in love with it! I don't think I ever remembered to share it with you all back then - so I'm sharing it today. Just in case you're having the same problem I am and need a summer time fix. ;) 


ASIAN STYLE COLESLAW

2 c shredded red cabbage
1 c shredded Napa cabbage
2 carrots, grated
6 scallions, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced
3 Tbsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp Sriracha
1 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
1/2 c honey roasted peanuts
1/2 c raisins

- Place the cabbages, carrots, scallions, and jalapeno in a largo bowl.  Toss to combine.  
- Mix the sesame oil, vinegar, sugar, Sriracha, and ginger together.  
- Add the dressing to the slaw, toss to combine.  Add the raisins and peanuts, toss again.  
- Refrigerate for 1-4 hours before serving.  

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of summer! I sure do miss it already, lol. That recipe looks delicious! Have a great night.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm counting down to Spring too. That recipe looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to think of spring and summer when it is so cold and wintery! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Carrie! I'm right there with you - born in raised in the North (though not quite as far North (or cold) as you - but once the coziness of Christmas passes, all I want to do is move to the South where winter is a bit more bearable. Your solution is genius! I may have to copy it. Maybe we'll crank up the heat and throw ourselves an indoor BBQ this weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, summertime, those 3 days in July. Lol. Fun to remember great summertimes, and I'm going to try that salad. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad sounds great, Carrie. I hope you're feeling better and looking after YOU! Oh no, sorry to hear Spring Fever has hit! We are similar in that I get it bad too. But this year not so bad yet. I think it's because up til this week our weather has been so mild and not cold at all. It has been dark & dreary with plenty of rain. But not felt like winter until now.
    Still, you have plenty of lovely summer photos to dream over in the meantime! xx

    ReplyDelete