Friday, January 29, 2016

Five on Friday: Pandora

I love Pandora radio! If you don't know what it is - it's a music streaming app that allows you to pick from different categories of what you want to listen to, and then you can give things a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down"...which will help to make stations specific to your likes. I listen to Pandora in many settings. On my iphone with headphones if I'm going for a walk. I listen to it from my computer when I'm working or crafting. I listen to it from through my iphone on speakers in my kitchen when I'm cooking or cleaning. And sometimes I even stream it through bluetooth through the speakers in my car when I'm driving (even though I have satellite radio which is similar). I'm not sure if everyone gets it everywhere and even around other countries? I'd love to know - so let me know if you know about or get Pandora friends. And if you do what are some of your favorite stations? But today I thought I'd share some of my favorites.



ONE


I often listen to Nature Radio on Pandora. This is music like you'd hear at a spa. Pretty classical or new age kind of music - but mixed with sounds from nature (like birds singing, or a fountain of water flowing...). I also put under this category stations like classical (like classical guitar station, or just straight classical music). I also love the Joshua Bell station (he's a wonderful violinist  - he played the music in the movie Ladies in Lavender). I like to listen to stations like these as a backdrop to reading, crafting, blogging etc. It's nice to have soothing music playing, that doesn't have many words, when I'm trying to focus or concentrate on something. Do you see the thumbs at the bottom of the photo?  That's where you'd click on either thumbs up or thumbs down and Pandora will keep track and it helps to make the station more specific to your likes and not play your dislikes again.




TWO


I love the 80's pop radio station! I'm a child of the 80's so I grew up as a child and teenager listening to these songs. They bring back so many memories. But also they're a lot of fun and many of them very upbeat, so I often use this station to workout on my treadmill. And also many times when I'm cleaning - basically when I want something to put a "pep in my step" in some way. Lol 




THREE


I love Celtic music. It's definitely in my blood, as I have a Celtic heritage (relatives that came from Ireland and Wales). I love listening to Celtic Thunder station, Celtic Women station and Enya. I was fortunate to see both the Celtic Women and Celtic Thunder live - and their shows were amazing!!  I also love Keith Harkin station (used to be in Celtic Thunder but now has solo career). These stations are also,at times, my backdrop when I work or craft. And I especially love listening to this music when I go for walks, or am out in nature, gardening etc. 






FOUR


I also love the Praise and Worship station. I listen to this often and at many different times. When I'm journaling and doing my devotional, but also as a backdrop when I'm working, or sometimes in the car etc. It's music that always gives me a lift and touches my soul. I especially love John Michael Talbot and listen to his station often as well. I grew up listening to him as my Mom loved him and had his albums. Other artists I love here include Michael W. Smith station and Amy Grant worship station.






FIVE

I also love stations like Harry Connick Jr. station, Michael Buble station and the Josh Groban station. More current kind of "crooner" singers. However, I also often listen to the older crooners like Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole. There is something I love about that music when I'm in the kitchen and cooking.  When I'm maybe sipping a glass of wine and cooking at the stove - this kind of music just needs to be my backdrop. Maybe I've watched too many movies. Lol!! ;) 





*** I also need share a bonus station:

I wanted to share the comedian stations with you as well. I don't listen to them often - but you can pick comedians you like and stream snippets of their stand up. I like Jim Gaffigan as I find him funny, and he's more of a clean comedian. My hubby and I will often stream this through bluetooth in the car and it helps a long hockey trip go by faster. However, you need to use your likes and dislikes on this as many comedians swear or do inappropriate comedy...so you need to make it specific to what you want. Often times we may listen when we know our kiddos are plugged into their own headphones in the backseat and not listening to us anyway. ;)



Happy weekend to All! I'm linking with Amy from Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.












24 comments:

  1. What a great creative five this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, my friend!!!!
    I am going to find the nature radio right now!
    And that 80's song???
    I am humming it now, with fond memories of driving up and down Main Street with my best friend Jennifer playing that on full blast!
    Gee...I used to be fun! Lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Love it Billie Jo- an 80's Gal after my own heart. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I don't think that we have such a thing here, although we do have a lot of radio stations! Sounds as though you have a lot of choice and some great things to listen too. Thank you for joining Five On Friday, happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if it was across the pond. Thanks for the scoop Amy! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  4. I enjoy Pandora but recently I purchased Amazon Prime and it works the same way, so I've been listening to that. :-) Love the 80's channels, wasn't that just the BEST era ever, lol? Fun times for sure. I would enjoy the nature one as well, will have to search for that one. Have a lovely weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have amazon prime - but never tried it for that - good to know that is great too! ;) 80's were the best - oh I can smell the hairspray from my bangs just remembering. Lol!! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Carrie - lots of great tips here, as I just got a new iPhone and Pandora is one of the features that my daughter downloaded for me. She even got me earbuds, so I can listen to music while I am puttering around! I love all your music selections and also love Jim Gaffigan. His new comedy show on TV Land is super funny - the new season starts soon (2nd season). I'll have my daughter help me download some of these great station picks (I'm new at this game) and thanks again for the recommendations! Blessings xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So excited for you with your new technology Karen!! I think you'll love it - and pandora!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I love how you have your Pandora stations all organized. My favorites are Joshua Bell, Jesse Cook and Cambridge Singers. But I think I have a lot of overlap because I've made way too many stations. Lol Have a great weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I'll have to look up other ones you mentioned. ;) I think some of mine kind of overlap too. xoxo

      Delete
  7. I had heard of Pandora, but had no idea how it worked. Good choices there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's lots of fun and I use it almost every day. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  8. I love Pandora!! I’ll have to search for some nature radio. When I signed up for Pandora I just started my own stations, wasn’t sure how it actually worked. I too have an 80’s station, a little Duran Duran once in awhile never hurt nobody!! :D I also have a Christmas station and Christian station, and my general pop station with all kinds of music on that one. I didn’t know about the comedians, I’ll have to check that out. I love Jim Gaffigan!! Hot Pockets!! His book, Dad is Fat is really good too. Have you heard of Tim Hawkins? He’s a “Christian” comedian, and he is hilarious, so his stuff is family friendly, do a search on You Tube for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to love some Duran Duran once in a while!! Lol I have several Christmas stations too. ;) Hot pockets!! hee hee - love that one! I'll definitely look up the other ones you mentioned. xoxo

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of Pandora radio. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorrie! It's probably my favorite app! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of Pandora We use Songza and Spotify here in our home. They work similarly and play a great variety of music. I love 80s music too. I seem to sing along and dance the most when I have them on! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used spotify too - very similar! I definitely dance the most to 80's too! Lol Great for housework time. Thanks Bronwyn! xoxo

      Delete
  11. I like Pandora on my phone and use the classical relaxation station for my youngest if he's having trouble getting to sleep. I love the 80s music as well (another 80s, well really 70s ahem child here) but also listen to the Katy Perry station a fair amount as well since I like current music as well. I wonder if that is from having a teenager in my house now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Love it Jean! Those teenage influences can be strong at times. Lol ;) My daughter charges her phone on a station by her bed with a speaker and listens to pandora lullaby, celtic or classical to go to sleep too. xoox

      Delete
  12. I love Pandora too and have some of the same stations as you. It's got something for any mood you're in!

    ReplyDelete