Monday, January 25, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday


Hello Everyone! Hope you had a wonderful weekend and are ready to tackle another Monday.  


It was another weekend that involved some hockey for both of my kiddos. We also accomplished some good housework around here and I took down even more of the last holiday kinds of decorations. So that felt productive.


Unfortunately, my FIL had a hard time with my MIL during one part of the weekend, and it's really becoming clear she's starting to enter the next stage of things. A few more behavior issues and even some depression issues. Working with her MD on some meds and also had a good sit down with my FIL and talked about some better options for my MIL, which will probably include some private care in their home...as that is the environment she is most comfortable and does the best. It's so hard to watch her decline and it's so sad and my heart aches for my FIL and my Hubby (one of her sons). Such an awful disease!! All prayers are welcome that we can find a more comfortable plan for her next stage.  Thanks so much - now on to the week ahead.


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

It's been much warmer here lately (20's and 30's), but of course now that means snow. It's snowing a very pretty snow right now and we're expected to get anywhere from 2 to 5 inches by tomorrow. Just another day in my northwoods. ;) 


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

Some green tea and some toast.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

A very pretty soft, but steady snow falling. The sky is gray and everything looks gray and white right now except the evergreen trees. 



RIGHT NOW I AM:

Listening to some Celtic music on Pandora while I work on this. I have my diffuser going with some relaxing lavender going again today. Hoping it will be calming for my MIL when she comes soon.


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Just a few dishes and some laundry.



ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

I'll have my MIL to care for soon and will make us both some lunch in a while. I think I'll pull out some of her old photo albums today. We haven't looked through them in quite a while and she has usually enjoyed looking through them and talking about the past.  Then maybe we'll head out in the snow later and play with a Ruby a bit. It's going to stay warmer and my MIL might find that really fun for a change. Maybe go out and run an errand before bringing her home, as she often gets more restless now.



CURRENTLY READING:

I have some magazines and newspapers catch up! 


ON THE TV TODAY:

No Good Wife this week. I have Downton Abbey and some cooking shows taped. I want to look into a few new fun looking series that Sandra (Diary of a Stay at Home Mom blog) showed on her blog last week. So many good looking ones out there right now.


ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: leftover sweet & sour meatballs over rice from the weekend


TUESDAY: going to use up the leftover peppers & onion from the s&s meatballs to make eggs with sausage and veggies on english muffins.


WEDNESDAY: hockey/religious ed night so again something fast & simple - salad night or sandwiches


THURSDAY:teriyaki pork loin roast with roasted veggies


FRIDAY:not sure yet - maybe a pasta kind of dinner with salad



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Valentine's cards, scrapbook organization


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

nothing really new this week - however maybe make  a new dessert (a cobbler)



TIP OF THE WEEK:

I often times get away with not washing my hair everyday. I will shower daily, but just put my hair up (so only washing my hair every other day). I believe this is better for my hair and it's natural oils. Not to mention how dry things get around here as it is this time of year. I will then use a dry shampoo - or spray and they tend to work well to revitalize my hair on day 2. What also works well at times is using some lavender baby powder (corn starch kind) which I always keep on hand.



FROM THE CAMERA:


Ruby continues to be my sweet side kick on this journey of caring for my MIL. She brings such joy and calm to her (& me!) 


PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:



I'm linking with Sandra from Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

26 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm a little jealous of your snow. We were supposed to get 4 inches last week and got a dusting which has completely melted. I either want a good snow or warm weather.

    Also, I love that you are helping with your MIL. As I watched my grandmother go through it. It takes a very strong person to look after someone with any form of dementia. You are truly inspiring and hope that if I were in the same situation I could manage it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'll gladly send you some of our snow Liz! Lol

      Thanks for the kind words and support sweet Gal. It means so much and it can be so difficult at times. But a true labor of love and the least I can do for someone whom was always there for me and was always so good to me.

      Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a lovely quote! Sorry to hear that your MIL is taking a turn for the worse :( I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/01/happy-homemaker-monday-12516.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Colletta! Blessings to you. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your MIL. Prayer definitely going your way. Those are some tough decisions to make. But what a beautiful and appropriate quote you shared.
    I do the same thing with my hair except I only end up needing to wash it about twice a week - which is great since taking to time to wash it is quite a production as I have to make sure each of the boys are occupied when I attempt to "sneak away!" ;) I find that wearing a shower cap on days when I don't wash it helps to extend the length of time I go between washes.
    Thanks for reminding me of how much I love Celtic music - it's been a while since I've played some.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetie! ;)

      Great tips about the hair too. I've been totally on a Celtic kick lately. Mainly Celtic Women and Celtic Thunder (probably my fave). Must be thinking of St. Patty's day already. Lol

      Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear that things are getting harder for your MIL, I hope that you can help with some suggestions and care for her and that it will ease things a little for her and your FIL and husband. Take care of yourself. Sending massive hugs and love to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! I know you have an idea of how hard caregiving can be. ;)

      Your kindness and support means so much dear Friend! Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  5. I finally joined in with my own HHM post - thanks for the inspiration. I'm sorry things are so hard with your MIL, you're a very good DIL to help out so much. Sending prayers,
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much sweet Jill!! Means so very much. Feel hopeful about some changes that are going to be made.

      I'll gratefully keep accepting those prayers! ;) Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  6. The falling snow sounds so beautiful and restful, as we cope with high humidity on our Australia Day! It is sad to read that your MIL is declining further, but you are doing so well with the ideas to entertain her. My father has also declined, and more drugs are being used which makes me very sad indeed. I find myself wondering if we have reached the 'end stage'. Would love to see more Valentine cards :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much sweetest Gal! My prayers and heart go out to you too. Aging is definitely no easy task is it? ;)

      I'll share more Valentines things hopefully soon. God bless! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Carrie, you are such a wonderful, caring soul.
    Caring for a loved one in the grip of that heartless disease takes a special kind of soul.
    Prayers for you all as you make decisions that are hard on ones heart.
    Have a good week, my friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much Billie Jo!! It means so much. Please keep the prayers coming. I feel the strength from them. ;)

      Blessings to you. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Dementia is such a hard disease, and I'm sorry that all of you are dealing with it. You are a wonderful DIL. I'll be praying for all of you for wisdom and patience as you move forward.
    Just finished watching Downton - love that show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari!! I so greatly appreciate the kindness and support.

      Downton is just the BEST isn't it? I'll miss it so much!!

      Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  9. Your MIL (and the rest of your family) are in my prayers, dear friend. Your Ruby looks like little Emmy, the dog at where I work. We got clobbered with snow this weekend, too.
    You're always in my thoughts!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joanna!! I can't say enough how much I appreciate it, and please keep the prayers a-coming. ;)

      I feel the "snow burden" too. Lol Hang in there and stay cozy. Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  10. I've said it before, I'll say it again, you're an amazing woman. :) Hope you do find some new shows to watch, there are so many good ones out there right now, I'll keep sharing them with you guys.

    Have a wonderful week my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandra!! You're too sweet. I don't know if it's amazing - it's just labor from pure love. ;)

      Please do keep the shows coming!! Love it! Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  11. Such a cute picture of Ruby and great that she is such a comfort to you and MIL.

    What a sweet inspirational that depicts your daily life caring for your MIL. So sorry to hear of her decline. It's never easy to deal with and never gets easier. Sending you BIG HUGS & LOTS OF PRAYERS.

    Take care of yourself and have a wonderful week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tamy! It's so appreciated and I feel the hugs and prayers you folks send - I truly do. It helps so much!! ;)

      Blessings to you xoxo

      Delete
  12. So sorry to hear about your MIL. It is an awful disease. My grandmother took care of her mother up until the end. But she had help from her sister, who was a nun, who at one time worked in a hospital. That phrase patient as a saint…that was her!! I just loved to be around her, she was just always so calm. They lived in a house that had two apartments in it, one of which was the one my great-grandmother lived in, so she was able to stay in what she knew as her home. Praying for your family, I know your MIL feels all that love from her family!!

    I wish we had snow!! It’s just gray here. Had some rain yesterday. I love lavender and vanilla together!! I found laundry detergent and fabric softner in that scent, and suave makes lotion in that scent, it is very calming. I’m sure a diffuser works well too.

    I like that quote. Have a wonderful week my dear friend!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetie! I commend anyone that does caregiving that way. It's getting much more difficult now and some changes are going to be happening. I'll probaby do a whole post on it in the future. It really stinks, and it's so draining.

      Sending you snowy thoughts my Dear!! I'd gladly give you some of ours. Lol! I love those scents together too. Lavender and about anything is so lovely. xo

      Delete
  13. Oh, Carrie, that quote just brought tears to my eyes! I know what it is like having your loved one forget....Sending you prayers and blessings. Your MIL is fortunate to have such a loving family behind her. Your week of menus sounds wonderful. Lovely to have the snow. Take care - be good to yourself. Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you can empathize well on the awful business of this disease Karen!! It just stinks and robs us all of so much. I feel honored to help her and I lean on my family and my faith a lot. And the wonderful support of my blogging buddies helps so much too. You guys fill me back up. ;)

      Blessings to you! xoxo

      Delete