Monday, January 18, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday


Hello Friends and happy Monday! Buckle up - here comes another week. 


We spent the weekend out-of-town for hockey, so it's nice to be home and I feel ready to jump into this week! 

The weekend was fun and both my daughter and son had hockey and both teams did great! And I got to watch the Packers/Cardinals game at the hotel. It was SO exciting at the end and went into overtime -but we lost in the end. Unfortunately our season is done (sad face). But there's always next year!  On to today...



THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Frigidly cold again this past weekend and today! It was -12 taking my daughter to school and with windchill it was about 30 below zero! That's COLD!  They say a high of maybe 5 degrees today. However, it is supposed to warm up into the 20's mid week and stick around a while. Let's hope as I'm tired of it being so freezing around here!!


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

1/2 of a traditional British english muffin (I got them this weekend at Trader Joe's - love that place and wish we had one around here!!) with lemon curd on it. Yum! Some blueberries and orange & spice tea.



  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Looks like the freezing winter day it is. Clear, blue skies and sunny but very frosty windows and hard crunchy frozen snow on the ground.  



RIGHT NOW I AM:

In my office working on this and listening to some praise and worship music. Looking through some papers and my crafting things. I need to get this place more organized again!


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Nice and tidy from being gone this weekend. Laundry catch up as usual.



ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

I don't have my MIL today as my Mom is taking her all day to give me a "catch up" day from the weekend. I just LOVE that woman!! And I'm going to take my MIL a full day on a different day this week.



CURRENTLY READING:

My mind is all over the place with reading lately. I don't know what's wrong with me but I can't seem to stick with one book and keep jumping around! I keep gobbling up my magazines and newspaper though. 


ON THE TV TODAY:

Lots of shows taped. SNL, Downton Abbey, The Good Wife, Cooking shows, some movies...



ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: unsure - need to get groceries so will probably be something simple with what's on hand around here - maybe a salad bar night


TUESDAY: tacos 


WEDNESDAY: hockey/religious ed night so again something fast & simple: breakfast for dinner or sandwiches/soup


THURSDAY: honey mustard chicken, baked potatoes, this pasta salad


FRIDAY:spaghetti with homemade meatballs, garlic dinner rolls & salad



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Valentine's cards, scrapbook organization


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

the honey mustard chicken is a new recipe


TIP OF THE WEEK:

Before we leave for hockey weekends, or other getaways, I always make a check list. I have done this forever and it helps me so much so I don't forget things! So I write down the items I want to be sure to remember to take (like I always need my own pillow), phone chargers, my daughter's stuff for the hotel pool etc. I also write down things I might need to inform my Mom (she stays at our house and watches it and Ruby while we're gone). I then check off my list as I get the items accomplished or packed. Such a simple thing but has save me many times! I always double check it right before we leave. 



FROM THE CAMERA:


I often share photos of my daughter, but I thought I'd share some of my son today (even though he'd hate it). Such a teenager, but sshhhh and he'll never know. ;)  He plays defense so he's often tough against the boards trying to shut down the offense.




He always works hard to protect and defend his goalie!



There he is in action! My favorite - number 26. He also often takes shots on goal if he gets an opportunity and has scored in the past!



More glimpses of my hockey world. Lol! Ouch, I think that #40 got hit deflecting the puck on this one.




PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:



I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.


25 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm done complaining about our cold weather after reading your post! Are your schools not out for the holiday? Sorry the Packers lost but it was a good game at least. Maybe we'll see that repeat of the first Superbowl next year instead? Great quote. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jean. My son (Minnesota) was out for MLK day, but my daughter's (Wisconsin) was not. Love the idea of the Pack in the Superbowl next year Baby!! Lol ;)

      Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  2. I like the King quotation too. I wish more people remembered his practice of noviolent resistance and of fighting evil with love. I think many today have replaced his agenda with their own but want his good name on it.

    Isn't it hilarious that were looking forward to the big warm up of 20 degrees. Lol. Stay warm up there. Love the photos of your son. Now go throw another chunk of wood on the fire. :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to your MLK thoughts Judy! I'm loving the warmer temps recently. That really cold stuff gets to me more and more as I age. Yuck! Yay 20's!! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is cold! Enjoy your catch-up day :) I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/01/happy-homemaker-monday-11816.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colletta! Hope you're having a great week. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You said it Jill!!! It's not fun - but finally warming up thank goodness! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I love ice hockey! What can I say. I had friends in New Hampshire that grew up on skates. I used to watch the guys play. We went to the college games at UNH. I wished my kids could have played, but we couldn't afford it. They played soccer and one was on the cross-country team.
    I am still at my MIL's place near Milwaukee and they closed school today. -5 WC in the -20s. I do NOT remember it being this cold! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Margot! Yay for hockey love! It's sure a big part of our lives right now. My kiddos both do soccer too.

      It takes until -35 to -40 windchill before they close school here. Crazy,huh? Guess we're considered a tough bunch. Lol
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Hello friend!
    Yes, winter has arrived!
    I'm glad you had a nice weekend, and are home safe and sound snuggled in with your dear family while the cold rages outside! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo! Hope you're not freezing too. I saw that some snow is supposed to be headed your way this weekend! Snuggle in! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Glad you had a good weekend! Hope that your week is great too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good GRAVY it's cold by you! And here I was, whining about 12 degrees, that's downright balmy by your standards! Love your hockey pics!
    have a beautiful week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joanna! ;)

      Yes, when it gets cold here - it gets arctic cold!! Gotta love the northwoods!! Lol
      Blessings dear Gal! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Your breakfast sounds delightful. Don't you just love Trader Joe's?! We have one pretty close but it's in a downtown area so it's too complicated for me to park with all the boys etc. so, unfortunately, I don't get there very often.
    Carrie, those temperatures! I don't even leave the house when it's below zero - luckily that doesn't happen too often around here.
    Sorry about the Packers - at least it was a great game.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Trader Joe's and wish they had one closer!!

      We sure learn from a young age how to bundle up around here in the winter. We always have a blanket or extra layers in our cars too. WE are one with the North. Lol! ;)

      Thanks for the Packer love. Blessings. xoxo

      Delete
  10. YUM Lemon curd is one of my all time favorites - I'm so jealous! You certainly have been a busy hockey mom - it's so nice that your mom is there to help you with your MIL.

    Thought about you during the Packers game. I couldn't believe that Hail Mary worked again - sorry over time didn't go their way though.

    Have a great week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been just LOVING that lemon curd Tamy! My daughter loves it too. It has been busy - but so blessed to have my Mom and truly don't know what I'd do without her.

      I couldn't believe that hail Mary worked too - you should have heard me yell! Lol!! Thanks for the sympathy too. ;) Next year!!

      Blessings to you! xoxo

      Delete
  11. Soooo cold over there!! Ooohhh the 20’s pull out the flip flops!! Lol. I hate when the snow gets crunchy!! That is a good tip, even though I don’t take many trips, I have done this. The last time my family went out of town, I ended up not having the shoes I thought I packed. Well…I had a pair of shoes, but my daughter and I have the same pair, but she wears a 6 and I wear a 9, so…I had one of each, LOL.

    I LOVE the hockey pics…great action shots!! I don’t know how those guys skate on those hockey skates, and they go so fast!! So much fun to watch!!

    Great quote!!

    I made the BBQ Bacon Cheesy Chicken Extravaganza the other night, I really like that recipe, it is soooo good. I also made the Banana Split Cookies, but I just poured the batter in a pan and baked it, still good. I love cookies, but don’t like to take the time to make them, LOL.

    Stay warm and have a wonderful week!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we break out the tank tops and everything in the 20's Carrie my Girl! It's a party!! Lol!! ;)

      Hockey is a very fast sport and that does make it fun. Always lots of action - and I get to watch lots of it!!

      Those flavors do just "go together" for that chicken don't they? Never thought about banana split cookie BARS - genius!! ;)

      Blessings Doll. xoxo

      Delete
  12. Having a list is a great idea, and one yours truly should definitely use ;).

    It's mighty cold up there, eh?? Geez, and we've been complaining because it's not beach weather lol.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could complain about "beach weather"!! ::sigh:: You're living the dream lady. When I get really fed up with the cold I light my summer candle (smells like suntan lotion and the beach) and listen to nature sound of waves, wind chimes etc. True story! ;)

      Don't you feel sorry for me? Lol xoxo

      Delete
  13. Having a list is a great idea, and one yours truly should definitely use ;).

    It's mighty cold up there, eh?? Geez, and we've been complaining because it's not beach weather lol.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete