Friday, January 15, 2016

Five on Friday:A Winter Week

Hello Friends and TGIF! 

I'm so glad it's the weekend. It was a busy week around here, but I'm ready for things to slow down a bit. We have hockey (but of course when don't we? Lol), but other than that should be pretty mellow. Happy to be back at a less hectic post holiday pace. So today I thought I'd show you some highlights from my winter week.


ONE






It's been a pretty cold and snowy week. One day it was so cold below zero (-23 F) that I even had Ruby wear her fleece coat when she went outside. And of course, after being out in the cold one needs to snuggle up in a ball on the couch. :)  

The snow has been pretty and here's a video clip of my daughter serenading me on piano while I sip my morning coffee before taking her to school. Love watching the snow fall.

video




TWO





Well technically this was last weekend, but I had my girlfriends over for our belated Christmas gathering at my house.  One of the dishes I made was apples and toffee dip. First, cut up red and green apples and toss in pineapple juice. It doesn't affect the flavor, but the apples WILL NOT turn brown. Can have them done hours before the party!  It works amazing every time!  Then take an 8 oz cream cheese, and whip together with an 8 oz. cool whip. Then mix in about 2 Tbsp of caramel butterscotch ice cream topping. Spread out in a dish. Drizzle more of the caramel on top in a pretty pattern. Then sprinkle toffee chips on the top and chill. SO yummy & easy!



THREE








My daughter loves reading chapter books out loud together at night before she goes to bed. Sometime Ruby likes to get in on the action too! Lately we've been loving these Whatever After fairytale series of books. They're so magical and funny! A brother and sister find a magic mirror in their basement and it will whisk them away into different fairytales. While they are there - they usually end up accidentally messing up the tale, somehow, but often it works even for the better. As in something like empowering a princess to know that she doesn't even really need a prince and she's strong enough on her own. Lol!  Very cute. 




FOUR




I've had a bad case of Spring Fever this week (you can ready about it in my previous post also) and doing far too much dreaming on days like in these photos!




FIVE

I love these new frosty candles and candle holders I received at Christmas time and put them on my hearth. I miss the glow of the Christmas tree at night, but I've been keeping a lot of wintery candles glowing at night.  They still feed the soul in a magical way.




I'm linking with Amy from Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.











11 comments:

  1. Five lots of lovely, even though you are looking forward to spring, it is a good thing to look forward to isn't it. Ruby is so cute in the snow isn't she!! I love candles too all year round, we are burning two tonight on the coffee table, candlelight is lovely isn't it! Thank you for joining Five On Friday! Happy Weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is COLD! Treasure the reading time. Children grow up so fast. I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/01/tea-time-steelers-and-puppy-11516.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is cold and looking really wintery with all that snow. Precious times reading with children, creating lots of wonderful memories. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. Lovely. Lovely.
    Those apples!!!
    They look delicious!!!!
    Happy weekend, my friend.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the apples do look good. No spring fever yet, I promised myself we wouldn't rush through winter, summers here are too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The apples and dip look so good. I've never tried pineapple juice. Thanks for the tip!
    I'm ready for Spring too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Five great things. Apples and dip - yum! The snow looks so pretty. Here it's just drizzle and rain. Your daughter has the right idea with staying cozy and reading lots of chapter books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dip sounds yummy. Enjoyed your Friday five, It's summer in my part of the world and I'm really enjoying it.

    Diana
    http://doodlesndreams48.blogspot.co.nz/2016/01/hotere-gardens-port-chalmers.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wintry candles feed my soul, too, I would find this post-Christmas time very bleak without them. Hope you are keeping warm. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore that caramel apple dip! My mom makes it every Christmas. IT's low-calorie, right? After all, it has fruit! ;)

    XOXO Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww…Ruby has a fleece coat?!?!?! As my daughter and I would say…Oh da puppy!! And then she is reading with Annie…I can’t even!! So cute.

    Girl…you know it is way to early for Spring Fever!! But I feel ya…wind chills here almost 20 below!!

    ReplyDelete