Thursday, October 27, 2016

Creamy Chicken Tortellini (or Gnocchi) Soup



Hello sweet Friends! Hope you're having a cozy evening. I've been late with posting as I've had some busy days...so getting time to really work at my computer has only been an option late in the day.  


However, I still wanted to share this yummy recipe I found at Heritage Schoolhouse blog. The recipe is based on the chicken gnocchi soup at The Olive Garden restaurant - which I just love! The unfortunate part was that I could not find gnocchi anywhere in my local grocery stores! I mainly scoured the fresh pasta sections. Maybe if I looked harder in the frozen section? 




Anyway, I substituted some cheese and spinach tortellini instead and it was still very good. It was really creamy and I think a little thicker than Olive Garden's - so I would maybe do a little less flour to thicken. And you could even do a bit more broth to half & half ratio...instead of 1:1. But it was tasty - and my Hubby loves creamier soups and he thought it was great! 


I made up the main base of the soup in one pot -and cooked the tortellini separately and added it in at the end. 


It's definitely a perfect rib sticking soup on a cold day!  Here's the recipe from her blog:

You will need -

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon thyme
salt and peper to taste
1 pound cooked chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
handful of fresh spinach, chopped
1 package of gnocchi (potato pasta)

Heat butter and oil in a saucepan.
Saute onion, garlic and celery for several minutes.
Add flour and stir.
Add half and half and broth and bring to a boil.
Stir until mixture begins to thicken.
Add seasonings, chicken, spinach and gnocchi.
Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so good, Carrie! I am definitely going to try this! My tummy is rumbling just thinking about it :) Hope you find some relaxing moments as you wind down your week, dear friend. Hugs and blessings xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sweet cheeks! You want to know something? I've never liked gnocchi or tortellini. I'll eat it, but it's not my fav. What kind of warped Italian am i???

    Now give me a cannoli and I'm putty in your hands :).

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really delicious autumnal dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We often have tortellini for supper, and this soup sounds like a good way to change it up a bit! Sounds delicious :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete