Friday, January 13, 2017

Five on Friday: Healthy Tips & Snacks

Hello Friends! Happy weekend to you! 


I thought that since January tends to bring to mind fresh starts in the form of goals or resolutions, that I would share some healthy tips and snacks for my 5 today. These are things that I have either learned from reading about being healthier, learned from personal experience, and/or things pinned from my pinterest boards. I've set some personally motivating goals for myself so that's also why a lot of this is on my mind (or in my regimen) right now. ;) 



ONE


Image result for clip art healthy snack
photo courtesy: clip art



I think an important rule I'm following right now is making sure my kitchen is stocked with healthy snacks. I'm making more effort to prep food right away so it's snack ready and in an easy to grab & go place. I've also made more effort to drink more water. I make water more enjoyable by adding fruit, sometimes even fresh herbs for flavor. Or I use essential oils as flavoring as well. I will also have my workout clothes all ready to go the night before, so I can grab them first thing in the AM.


I like to think of all of these things as setting myself up for success! If I think and plan ahead it often seems to make all the difference in the world to stick to my goals. 







TWO
Image result for clip art of exercise with music          Image result for clip art of exercise with music

photo courtesy: clip art



I have also found that music is a huge motivator for me! When I put in my headphones I just want to move around. I use music for cleaning around my house too. Makes any "chore" that much more enjoyable. 

 I read in an exercise study that people that listened to music when they worked out performed 15-20% better. So put on the tunes and go to town!! 








THREE

Image result for clip art of writing journal

photo courtesy: clip art



I think it also helps my progress when I hold myself accountable. By using a journal to write things down, and I like to use apps, I'm better about the choices I make. I like the "my fitness pal" app for tracking my calories, water etc. But I like to write in a journal to mentally and spiritually motivate myself. I'll write about my feelings and about what I think is working and what isn't. There's something about spelling it all out for myself that helps me visualize it all more clearly. 

I think it's important to use a lot of positive self talk and build ourselves up when we're starting new goals. Being hyper critical doesn't seem to ever be effective for true success from my life experiences. I also lean on my faith and use a devotional daily to help in this area as well. 





FOUR

Image result for meal prep clip art



I have found that "beating myself to the punch" - so to speak - also helps me stay on track. For example: when making a nice family dinner, I have sometimes made extra so I could freeze it & it's there waiting for me in the future. By having something already done that I can easily bake on a busy week when I need it, prevents us from grabbing fast food or making other poor choices on busy kiddo sports nights. I have also done things like brush my teeth right after dinner so I'm not tempted to nibble later. Or even something as simple as putting away the food right after everyone dishes up what they want - prevents us from going for second helpings that we don't need.  I try to make good choices right away to beat myself to the punch of making a poor choice later. 





FIVE

I thought I would share a few fun snacks we've been enjoying lately, as well as some fun ones I'd like to make in the future that I've pinned on my pinterest board.






We love to snack on frozen grapes! I take a big clump of grapes and break it down into little clumps that I wash, dry and put in snack baggies then throw on the freezer. It changes the texture and even the flavor a bit - and they just become this addicting snack (better than chips!)




And today I made a batch of angel food cupcakes. I love to bake and we like our "treats" over here. So what a great way to have healthier version of a treat. Instead of frosting we use a little cool whip on top and add a few berries - all for around 60 calories a cupcake - yay!!






Frozen Yogurt Berry Bites Recipe - quick and easy healthy snack or dessert idea! sponsored - Happiness is Homemade:

I also plan to make these yummy frozen yogurt fruit snacks you can find on pinterest here.




4-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites - Just freeze the peanut butter banana "sandwiches" then dip in chocolate and freeze to harden!::

And these yummy frozen peanut butter chocolate banana bites you can find here.





4 ingredient baked pears infused with maple and vanilla! Top with crunchy granola and yogurt for a healthy, satisfying dessert! Easy recipe found on sallysbakingaddiction.com:

And I have made these maple vanilla baked pears before and they were absolutely delicious!! You can find them here.






25 Fun and Healthy Snacks for Kids - Double the Batch:

And on the savory side what kiddo wouldn't find these snacks fun? 




Baked Zucchini Fries - These fries are amazingly crisp-tender and healthy with just 135.4 calories. And no one would ever believe that these are baked!:

And I think the baked parmesan zucchini fries found here look amazing!




And I live in reality and I know I will always love to cook and bake - and I really love to eat! Lol But I think trying to incorporate a healthier lifestyle is important...especially as I've now somehow wondered into middle age. 

This middle age place is rough -  where I don't lose weight as easily as I used to, and I don't bounce back from things as well as I did when I was younger.  Being smarter means I won't have to pay more of the price later. I want to set a good example for my kiddos and I also want the energy and ability to run around with grandkiddos one day.  


How are you doing with any 2017 goals you've set for yourself? Or any great tips you want to share with me? I find a lot of this focus interesting and fun!  Blessings on your weekend Friends. xo 

I'm linking with Amy of Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.

love made my home








14 comments:

  1. These are all great ideas! I've never had frozen grapes, also those banana/peanut butter things sound yummy!
    I just got done having a snack of an apple, spread with a little peanut butter and sprinkled with granola. Healthy and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie, these are great ideas to stay motivated! I love all of your snack ideas, too. Those banana, peanut-butter bites look so yummy! I just got my new 'fit-board' to start out my year. I really need to get in shape and lose a few! Thanks for all the ideas, links and motivational inspiration! Sending hugs and blessings for your weekend, my friend. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great ideas. I too need to lose a few pounds, I loved the looks of some of your snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas and ways of doing things. Glad they are working well for you. I too am a fan of the frozen grape, there is just something about them isn't there. I must keep the idea of doing things to music, that is a very good idea indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel healthier just reading your post! My fav was the yogurt and berries. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas and reminder that I need to work on being healthier again. I had music going just as I was doing things around the house earlier this week and was quite surprised by the difference it made. Probably the only one who is actually not a fan of frozen grapes,LOL. Glad they are working for you though! I always keep a bowl of fruit on our kitchen table and grapes cleaned and ready to go in a separate bowl for easy snacking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post, like some of your snack ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great post full of excellent ideas! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous, doable tips Carrie! Some I already do. Others, not so much.

    I love grapes when they've been roasted a while. It brings out their sweetness.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas and snack recipes. Devotions are good too. Bad weather has messed up my gym time!
    Hugs,
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some yummy snacks! It's good to live intentionally and there are some great tips here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ALL very good tips my friend! I believe we are of like mind this week. I just ordered a new book, DEEP NUTRITION to start the year off on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Dear Friend - What a great collection of stay-healthy tips. I think I'll finally be ready by Feb 1 to really dig into a healthy life style. Don't give up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keep grills and generators out of the house, and don’t run your car for long periods of time in the garage. local volunteer

    ReplyDelete